Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Bullying? or Bully?

User Profile: Amelia
Amelia January 14th, 2016

I came across an interesting tweet when I was working on some Social Soldiers things tonight. And, the tweet led to me to their website where I became impressed quickly. This program seems really neat--I love the slogan on their homepage and how they emphasize that everyone is different, so why label one another?

Anyhow, the tweet that caught my eye earlier was about bullying (see the picture below). And it brings an interesting topic up--just like the debate about trolling. Are those individuals trolling because they have issues also or are they trolls? A the kids at school or our peers at work or our family members or friends bullying because they have issues or are they bullies? Bullying vs. Bully--may not seem like a big difference, but I think it is (and I've not considered this before tonight). We don't want to label mental illness so why, rather than labeling someone's behavior (i.e., bullying) do we label them instead (i.e., bullies)? I don't have a good answer but thought I'd bring this up to see what everyone else thought.

@Roadie @JaceofSpades @PolarCat @Laura @Heather @Iara @GlenM @Christina @Jadie @amazingRea @221Skye @ZaraSmiles @Cadence @MichaelMichael @Luka @MonBon @Ace13 @Pat @Twish @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn @MissZ @RebeccaH @AdVictoriam @Dillon @NewRomantic677 @fluffyUnicorns84 @MelAllyouneedislove

15
User Profile: Jadie
Jadie January 14th, 2016

Great thoughts in this post! Thanks for the tag @Amelia! I

User Profile: PositiveStateOfMind
PositiveStateOfMind January 14th, 2016

So true smiley

I believe if we label someone a "bully" they will either be disheartened or feel that they have the power to do what they want to whom they want. The word means to be mean to someone and everyone does something mean once in their live could be unintentionally like someone could say something to me which they find nothing wrong with but I could think the person has come across mean, is this bullying? I don't think so

2 replies
User Profile: Jadie
Jadie January 14th, 2016

@PositiveStateOfMind and @Monbon from above:

Exactly! :) I think it can promote an attitude of If they want hell, Ill give ‘em hell!, which doesnt end up helping anyone in the end.

1 reply
January 14th, 2016

Loving this post and discussion - such an important topic

load more
load more
User Profile: AdVictoriam
AdVictoriam January 15th, 2016

heart

Separating the people from the problem is a wonderful thing to do