Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The care and feeding of feed and follow...

User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 12th, 2015

UPDATED 20 AUG: these items are all done. time for a new thread!

UPDATED 18 AUG: another brief update of what has been finished

UPDATED 14 AUG: I've added thumbs up to completed priorities (go @Cris!)

Thanks to everyone who has taken to the new feed feature in the spirit of support, compassion, and inspiration. I woke up today to a very uplifting stream of images and thoughts. This is such a great community.

We know there are bugs and we are listening to all the feedback and focusing on what to fix first and what to tackle next.

Here are some improvements you should expect to see rolling out of the next day or so:

yes 1. Enable 7 Cups acct to repost posts.

yes 2. Enable teens to follow adults with the teen badge

yes 3. Add tab for ‘people Im following on the Manage Followers screen.

yes 4. Enable option to show bio (About You) expanded on initial load of profile

yes 5. Put center column on top when screen width is too narrow to show all three columns

yes 6. Add initial set of notifications

There's much more to do, of course, but I wanted to share with you our immediate priorities.

73
User Profile: careing24
careing24 August 21st, 2015

thanks it was use full

User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 27th, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn today my feed is no longer just the people I follow. A whole bunch of others have shown up. What's going on?

9 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 27th, 2015

these are reposts by people you follow

we are seeing multiple copies and looking at how to fix that

8 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 27th, 2015

They don't say repost on them.

7 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 28th, 2015

That appears to be the bug, @AffyAvo - I think it's the same thing that causes apparent duplicates sometimes. Something in the routine is failing to write the "reposted by..." part before sending the repost to your feed.

I don't know how often this is happening... still researching.

6 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 28th, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn the same thing is also happening on individual's profile pages. I assume these are also all reposts that just don't appear as such.

5 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 29th, 2015

oh, is there a link to a profile I can look at? (I am compiling examples for the developers so they can isolate the bug).

4 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 29th, 2015

@lovelyTree31

@yourvision - need to scroll down to Wed or later

@Twish - again scroll down, some were from Thurs

3 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 29th, 2015

thanks, @AffyAvo! apologies again for these bugs... they seem to be ganging up on you.

we will get to the bottom of it...

2 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 29th, 2015

For a new feature, it's not too bad. I just figure if you're going to the effort of fixing it you may as well know the full problem so it's fixed instead of just part of it :)

1 reply
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 29th, 2015

thanks! i appreciate your patience, and your rigorousness!

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 27th, 2015

Hopefully this is ok to post here, it's all public, right?

I don't follow either of these people. As you can see, there's no 'repost' by someone I am following.

1 reply
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 27th, 2015

oh, really? that does sounds like a bug.

sorry I misinterpreted the problem you are seeing.

I didn't get an image, though.

load more
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 27th, 2015

Hmmm, it showed before I hit post, trying again.

User Profile: DHawks
DHawks August 31st, 2015

First of all I'd like to say thank you, @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Initially I was very skeptical of the feed feature but hey, it's amazing, I concede defeat humbly, it helps plenty of people and I today I was looking at things with the tag #AppreciationFestival (yes guys, it's on this week! Do participate) and I realised how much I liked this feed better than twitter.

Secondly, I loved how quickly the reposting with comments came out, the technical team is on fire and improving the quality of the feed at a really quick pace but I had a small suggestion, do you think it would be possible to make the "reposted by" section collapsible? Like when there's a post that 20 people have reposted, that section is huge - specially if a member visits a profile and is scrolling through the posts of a Listener, I'm not saying it's an inconvenience, just a suggestion to make it look more tidy, in my opinion.

That's about it, thanks once again, I look forward to what you have to say on this.

2 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 31st, 2015

you are one step ahead of us! we do want to show probably just the last 5 reposts and then expand the rest, or something like that. again, it's a bit tricky based on the way we're doing this but as @cris likes to say "anything is possible" (he says this a lot when he is not sure something is a good idea, too :D ).

and thanks for saying how the feed can be a force for good. I sincerely hoped that would be true and trusted that we could do it if anyone could, but I do understand the skepticism and concern about it devolving into the worst of social media, with petty jealousy, harassment, and so on.

I'm just so proud of us all for setting the tone so positively so quickly, and I am also starting to see more members speaking up and getting better connected, which is one of the deeper goals.

1 reply
User Profile: DHawks
DHawks August 31st, 2015

Of course you guys are already on it, should have known. Well I agree with @cris though, haha, anything is possible and I like his positive attitude.

I've felt more connected to members I haven't personally talked to as well since the feed came into the picture, so it is a force of good and your objective is definitely being achieved.

Thanks for the prompt reply @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn - I'm looking forward to further changes.

load more
load more
User Profile: Lilylistens
Lilylistens August 31st, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn Just an idea I'd like to share...would there be a possible way, moving forward, for each person to organize their feed, privately?

4 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 31st, 2015

organize in what sense?

our initial design of the feed called for the ability to make one's own feed private, but we couldn't figure out how to moderate or safeguard private feeds, or how to prevent the formation of negative private networks, such as people sharing pro-anorexia memes, for example.

not sure if that's what you meant but I'm open to discussing possibilities if we can make them align with the value and mission of the site.

3 replies
User Profile: Lilylistens
Lilylistens August 31st, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

I mean the ability for each person to privately organize their feed somehow.

I ask this as I follow quite a few persons in my feed, which means the volume of posts in my feed is a lot, and I don't want to miss any posts from @7Cups , or @GlenM (founder of 7 Cups of Tea) or @Laura (7 Cups of Tea Community Manager), for example.

Any ideas on this?

ps: please tag me in your reply, thank you

2 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP August 31st, 2015

ah, i get it, @lilylistens ... yes this may take some time for us to develop more sophisticated control over what you see. it's good for me to hear you need this.

in the short term, as a workaround, you can visit @laura or @glenM or the @7cups feed directly to make sure you've seen the latest.

1 reply
User Profile: Lilylistens
Lilylistens September 5th, 2015
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Ace13
Ace13 November 8th, 2015

Just wanted to post here to say I think we made a lot of progress as a community on the feed and I'm quite impressed to see how it is today! I must say I was doubtful at first, but now I love it! ❤️ Great work everyone ❤️

3 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn OP November 9th, 2015

@Ace13, you've been a major force in giving shape and energy to the feed. Thanks!

User Profile: OpsTops
OpsTops November 10th, 2015

@Ace13 Thanks for being the feed champion! We are taking the feed to new heights. The power of expression is working to heal many. Lets keep the momentum going! laugh

1 reply
User Profile: Ace13
Ace13 November 10th, 2015

@Twish definitely, let's keep it going! ❤️

load more
load more
User Profile: warmSoul46
warmSoul46 September 20th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn Yay! I like these new additions and improvements. Well done!