Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards!

User Profile: Laura
Laura January 10th, 2018

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards! Yay, they are so cute!

Learn more about this update here!

Find your join month animal assigment below!

January - Dolphin - get to know other dophins here

February - Penguin - Get to know other penguins here

March - Horse - Get to know other Horses here

April - Camel - get to know other camels here

May - Elephant - get to know other elephants here

June - Kangaroo - get to know other Kangaroos here

July - Star fish - get to know other starfish here

August - Fish - get to know other Fish here

Sept - Bunny - get to know other Bunnies here

Oct - Eagle - get to know other Eagles here

Nov - Butterfly - get to know other Butterflies here

Dec - Turtle - get to know other turtles here

256
User Profile: redplant0
redplant0 January 14th, 2018

These icons are adorable. Is there a way to customize them? I do like most animals, but there's a selective few that I'd want sitting next to my name.

2 replies
User Profile: BeeLeigh
BeeLeigh January 15th, 2018

@redplant0

No. Youre assigned an animal based on what month you made your account.

1 reply
User Profile: redplant0
redplant0 January 16th, 2018

@BeeLeigh That's cool. It will be awesome if we can choose though, like maybe a drop-down list of all the animals. Then we can customize them using hex codes or the color wheel. And maybe in the future we can have fruits and vegetables. I'm very partial to plants.

load more
load more
User Profile: aurinkopaiva
aurinkopaiva January 14th, 2018

I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear how many people feel triggered and/or disrespected by this. I am a listener too, and I must say how this is handled highly disappoints me. Several people now, that all deserve to be taken seriously, have shared valid reasons as to why the symbols hurt them. This should be a definite sign to make them optional, instead of just continuing it, @Laura. Especially, when people complain them, to encourage them to talk to other people from their "group" is mocking them, and nothing else. As mentioned before, the status or popularity of a listener/member should not define if they are being listened to.

I don't know if you really think all people joining the same month are on the same step now. And I just want everyone to know, that if you aren't as far as someone else that started the same month as you, it says nothing about you. You are doing amazing. We all climb our hill of obstacles and success in our own pace. I understand why these symbols and all might feel pressuring to you, but until the admins get that message and care about you more than about being too stubborn to admit having made a mistake, please just know you can take all the time you need <3

I really hope this topic gets better soon. And that everyone will be listened to.

User Profile: Phthalo
Phthalo January 14th, 2018

For a moment, I had a flicker of an odd thought; a conspiracy: creating fake hardship so that the community can come together and support each other on their own. How sleazy.

Yet, here it looks to kinda be going in that direction here. Maybe a terrible coincidence.

User Profile: Rain45
Rain45 January 14th, 2018

@Anomalia @Laura @Kate I agree with many of your points anomalia made earlier in this thread. For some people this update has been welcomed, a bit of fun but there seems many unhappy people. i have experienced this in pms from members and listeners alike. I had a couple days offline and came back to a ton of messages about this issue alone. And some listeners are feeling completely dismayed by the apparent lack of consultation with them prior to updates being put out.

Perhaps to make all communities (listeners and members) feel included and to avoid potential issues from arising, with regards updates, a representative from the listener and member side of each community could be informed about potential updates, or those that will impact them significantly, and this then shared in their individual communities for feedback, or feedback forms given to all communities for them to get their feedback which can then be given back to admin etc? i think there is a feeling that feedback is largely ignored or not sought prior to updates happening. Its good to see growth and change but perhaps it needs to be changes that listeners and members wish to see addressed for the communities betterment and which is supported by management and admin etc There does need to be changes as this site has grown and with that comes the need to make changes that support that growth. However, given that its the listeners keeping the site going, along with the amazing members supporting one another, to me it makes sense to ask them what their feelings are on something important.

My own personal opinion is I dislike this update and wish an opt out button to be given. Similar to when the gender issue was discussed. I do feel anomalia had a valid point with regards the eating Disorder community and elephants etc. Personally, having a starfish assigned to my name means little to me and will not make me more likely to connect with other starfish because I make connections regardless of what year or month someone joined this site. With regards community building, that can be done by holding events open to all, not just the community you are part of, participating actively in meetings, sessions, forums and so on. I build connections with listeners and members based on who they are, not what badge or animal icon they have next to their name and by building connections with other communities in the work that I do here. Of course its great for new folk to feel welcomed but most communities now have welcome sections. There is nothing stopping anyone making connections even if they focus on one community. I think some members will also feel quite threatened if they are suddenly contacted by people they dont know and it could actually end up causing more problems. I think some people would prefer to make connections with people when they feel safe or able to and Im not sure how some members would cope if they got inundated with requests to chat just because of their animal icon badge. As long as the community is welcoming and supportive, it doesnt stop anyone getting the support they need or are looking for.

I also feel if this is about inclusivity, community building etc there are a lot of problems happening on this site which needs time spent on addressing and perhaps resources put forward into resolving those than spending time working on an animal icon though I appreciate that for those behind this development they also gave their time and commitment which isnt to be disregarded and how this was supposed to be fun. However, as mentioned on here in a lot in the threads I have read, bullying of listeners is an issue that could be addressed because it does go on and causes a lot of misery, there are cliques on cups which cause distress to many, many listeners having experienced this, or dealing with the repercussions of this and many have left cups as a result of have many times been on the verge of doing so. Addressing spam is important, working on listener and mod quality, building the teams, recruitment etc

We are all human too and we dont click with everyone regardless of if we joined at the same time and everyone is unique and individual as are their member or listener journeys. To me personally its irrelevant what month or year someone joined, although I do feel there needs to be a system in place so that everyone who is coming up for their cupsanniversary is valued and acknowleged, everyone!. For eg the congrats to those with anniveraries often feels to be towards the same people rather than everyone being included. My first cups anniversay came and went without anyone even noticing and though perhaps it would have been nice to have been valued as others are, it didnt really bother me that much. But I know this issue is one which does bother many.

Also trauma community has been waiting for their badge for a long time now and still dont have it and yet these animal icon badges were put out very quickly, so please could the same effort be made to resolve the trauma badge so it works and shows in the rooms please so that members find it easier to find a listener who they can speak to about trauma issues. Thanks.

1 reply
User Profile: Raveninthelabrynth
Raveninthelabrynth January 14th, 2018

@dancingRainbow45 Thank You Rain, and well said. smiley

load more
User Profile: Dementia
Dementia January 15th, 2018

Why can't it be specific animals and not a class? I seriously thought I had a shark, feeling betrayed now. I want my money back!

User Profile: Eldric
Eldric January 15th, 2018

so long as there is a future update which allows members to choose whether they want an animal icon next to their name or not, or to at the very least choose which animal they resonate with the most, then I will be content. I dont believe this update needs to be destroyed, however, placing the ability of choice into the hands of members and listeners alike could, in my opinion, do this site some good. This will mean that upon release of an opt-out button or icon choice/prefrece update, there will have to be a general notification sent to all members, listeners, and mods with instructions on where to find these new features and how they work; that way no-one is blindsided or left in the dark, but I am fairly sure that will happen regardless.

User Profile: Spiderdude
Spiderdude January 15th, 2018

So uhm I don't really understand this app yet. But I guess animals are pretty much the only thing I have that's really positive I feel about in my life so I guess this would be a good place to start

3 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 15th, 2018

@Spiderdude - animals can be really great sometimes for giving unconditional love <3

2 replies
User Profile: bestWillow5048
bestWillow5048 January 16th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn yes we get a pet aka therapy dog in 2 days. cAnnot wait. I find animals inspiring. I hope he likes us!

1 reply
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 18th, 2018

@bestWillow5048 - i'm sure he will!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: blueCranberry6615
blueCranberry6615 January 16th, 2018

wow

User Profile: Andriana27
Andriana27 January 16th, 2018

You matter

You always did

L

User Profile: AnyaS
AnyaS January 17th, 2018

I really love the idea of behind this concept! I really do think it's a great way to encourage community building and to add to that feeling of togetherness in our community!

I think it's a really great way to initiate the conversation between two people! It can be a starting point, something in common that can encourage people to reach out and meet new people!

I hear people's concern about the animals. I can understand why this may cause a lot of conflict as people want different animals or they don't like the one they have and can't relate to it etc. Perhaps one thing we can do is change the little symbol from an animal to something else! I know @Amy and @Erica were suggesting to change them to colored cups, at one of the meetings and a lot of people seemed to like this idea! This way, we would not be associating someone to an animal, but instead it would all be different coloured teacups for 7 Cups!

As for an opt out option, I'm thinking perhaps it may be possible to implement that for those who still do not want to be part of this update!

However, I really love the idea behind this, it's great! @Laura