Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I lost my best friend

User Profile: Whiplash861
Whiplash861 November 17th, 2018

I was overseas in Iraq last year. We were tasked with heading outside the wire for routine patrol. My best friend was in my squad with me.

Later on, we made contact with the local militia who carried a lot of guns. Bullets zipped past me as I dove for cover.

Instantly, everyone starts shooting. The militia had us outnumbered 3 to 1, but not necessarily outgunned. There ensued a mutual exchange of F bombs and ammunition.

Until I saw a little kid run across the battlefield in my line of sight. He wasn't carrying anything, so I tried keeping an eye on him as I continued engaging. Turns out that little kid, couldn't have been older than 10, takes a rifle and starts shooting at my friend. I see the young ones exchange of gunfire towards my buddy, and as I snap my rifle towards the kid, I see my buddy flop backwards, screaming.

So I shot and killed the kid, and moved to secure my friend, who was shot in the throat.

Blood and gurgles tried escaping his mouth as I covered his wound, calling for a medic.

My buddy was crying, eyes full of tears, as mine did the same. I looked him dead in the eyes, pleading he doesn't close his eyes.

He didnt have to. His final words were crying for his mom, as he silently cried himself to death. Literally. My cold, bloody hands were the last things he felt as he died in front of me.

I live with that thought every day now, with last night being the worst as I sat up crying at 3AM in my girlfriends arms because of the nightmares I have.

3
User Profile: Laura
Laura November 17th, 2018

@Whiplash861

Thank you for sharing this with us. That is an incredibly difficult experience you went through and I can't imagine the pain you must feel. I am very glad you are here in our community. We are here for you. We are a place you can come and get support.

Please check out our Veterans community as well.

While I am not expert, one thing that may help could be to support your fellow vets and offer some kindness to others who are struggling like you. You aren't alone, my friend. There are many who could be helped and supported from talking to you. Sending you a big hug.