Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Part I: The River - Exploring Life as a River

User Profile: GlenM
GlenM January 25th, 2023

Welcome to part 1 of the Way of the River series.

We are going down the river of life in our kayak. At the start, it may feel unnatural or a little clumsy. Maybe we lose our paddle or get stuck on rocks, but with more experience we gradually learn to read the water.

With a little more experience we can begin to feel the current pulling us. Sometimes we might not want to follow the current. Instead, we might have our eye on a beautiful spot across the water on the side of a river bank. Many of us will work really hard to cross the river to get to that spot. It will require a lot of extra paddling because we are going against the current.

One sad, but instructive experience happens when you finally make it to that hoped for spot and realize it is not as good as you had imagined. You were sure it was going to be beautiful, but somehow it fell short of that beauty. This is frustrating because it took so much energy to get there.

Some of us are stubborn, slow to learn, or both, and we have to make this same mistake many, many, many times.

Eventually, however, we too learn how to read the water and follow the current. Sometimes the current leads us right past the spots we wanted to go and then surprises us around the bend with a far better spot. These are great situations. Oddly, even though we shouldn't, we often give ourselves credit for finding the new spot, when most of the credit should go to the current. Still, these are great times and should be deeply enjoyed because they do not happen all the time.

Other times the current can lead us down more treacherous waters with rocks, eddies, and sticks that can be tough to navigate. Sometimes we lose a paddle, flip the kayak and get wet. In particularly tough times, we may even get injured. We don’t usually take “credit” for our role in these situations and instead happily blame the current.

Why do these more challenging times happen?

I believe they happen so that we can learn. Nobody wants to feel the anxiety, difficulties, and sometimes pain that happens during these times, but these are indeed the times that teach us the most skill. We don’t learn to become master kayakers when the river is smooth. We learn how to be master kayakers on the rapids. Adversity challenges us to overcome.

So, what is the right approach?

The approach is one that goes against our natural impulses. It can sometimes feel like it goes against everything that is within us, especially when it is painful and not what we had hoped for. The stoics were master kayakers and they have a statement, “the problem is the path.” They encourage us to steer into the challenges and to trust the current. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) encourages us to see the challenge as an opportunity to learn to solve a problem that we’ve been ignoring. These are wise words.

Abraham Maslow, another master kayaker, tells us to go further. He instructs us to see the challenges as a gift, to embrace them like we would a friend, to listen deeply and carefully to what they are telling us, to listen to their whispers. He encourages us to see the challenges as ends in and of themselves; and warns us not to look past them as a means to an end. He wants us to see and appreciate them for what they are – independent, difficult, and beautiful experiences.

The river of life brings us smooth, deep, and troubled waters. Thankfully we do not paddle alone. We find other kayakers on the water that also teach us lessons. Most of the lessons come down to following the current rather than insisting on our own plans. This key lesson is a lifetime lesson.

Reflection question: We have all gone through challenging times, or rough rapids, and overcome them in the past. What would you tell a friend going through difficult waters now?

I’m thankful that I have found all of you on the river. Thank you for paddling alongside me 🙏✨❤️.


This post is part 1 of The Way of the River Series. Find the complete information and all related posts here 


Reading the theory is just the map, but the real progress happens in the water. Apply to join the exclusive closed group here and kayak together!


>>> Proceed to Part 2!

410
User Profile: RunningMachine
RunningMachine January 16th

@GlenM

Really enjoyed the tone and the metaphors, excellent start to a promising series that may help me feel less stuck and start proactively seeking more purpose and direction in life. I've certainly overturned a few times 😀 Deliberately choosing to smile as I'm learning to move forwards again 👍

1 reply
User Profile: JasGab200519970
JasGab200519970 January 16th

@RunningMachine Aww your face has lit up. :D Very well done to you - wohoo to your progression. 

load more
User Profile: braveApple3776
braveApple3776 January 25th

Hello,

I do not see a link for part I. There is a link for acceptance and commitment therapy but no other link. Are you able to post what I should be reading for part I again?

1 reply
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 January 27th

@braveApple3776

Hi! The whole post Glen wrote acts as part 1.

The other parts have slide decks you will read when you click into them.

For now, reading the post above is the material, and here in the thread, you answer the question in bold:

Reflection question: We have all gone through challenging times, or rough rapids, and overcome them in the past. What would you tell a friend going through difficult waters now?

load more
User Profile: HealingGriz
HealingGriz January 28th

@GlenM take it slowly. Breathe. Enjoy the little things and focus on those. Toad on the bank. The turtle ona branch. The clouds in the sky. Whatever makes you smile the tiniest bit it perk up even 1%. Stay present. 

3 replies
User Profile: JasGab200519970
JasGab200519970 January 29th

@HealingGriz One step at a time definitely makes a difference. Thank you Griz 🌸

User Profile: SilverWhiteWinters
SilverWhiteWinters February 3rd

@HealingGriz

I love what you've written here - it reminds us that we can direct our attention to things that ground us, and that there are still beautiful things around us to be grateful for, even in the middle of difficult times

User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 February 5th

@HealingGriz

I absolutely love your outlook!

load more
User Profile: BobbieX
BobbieX January 30th

@GlenM

Thank you so much for coming up with this amazing idea! I love this!

1 reply
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 February 5th

@BobbieX

I hope you enjoy the series and that it brings you a lot of insights Bobbie! I'll look forward to reading your responses <3

load more
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 January 31st

@GlenM

Reachforthestars00

Here is the first part of the way if the river series you were looking for, enjoy 💚🤗

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 January 31st

@Amanda84

@Reachforthestars00

load more
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 January 31st

@GlenM

@ReachforthestarsOO

User Profile: SilverWhiteWinters
SilverWhiteWinters February 3rd

@GlenM

I love this, thanks so much for writing it! Something I am curious about is viewing challenges as 'ends in and of themselves' - I will think about that more and hope to learn more about that idea in this series!

I am coming from a Christian perspective, so I see some likeness in trusting the 'current' and trusting God is in control and cares for us, even through the challenges and when the current takes us directions that we don't want to go. Though, I would typically view certain (especially really bad or traumatic) challenges as bad things that aren't from God, but I believe that God will always bring good out of those things for those who love him. Often, I think that 'good' is growth - including post-traumatic growth. 

What would I tell a friend going through difficult waters now? I would probably empathize with what they're going through, and lament with them about what they may have lost or what they may be afraid of. But when they're ready for a shift in perspective, to help them see the beautiful parts of themselves that have shone through, grown, or been strengthened in the process of going through the difficult waters, and help them to reflect on what precious things they've learnt through the experience

1 reply
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 February 5th

@SilverWhiteWinters

I love the connection you made between the current and your faith. That sense of surrender, trusting that there is care and purpose even when the water gets choppy, is such a great way to view life.

I also appreciate that you mentioned empathizing and lamenting with a friend first. It honors the actual pain before looking for the precious things or growth later on. Post-traumatic growth fits the river metaphor perfectly: even after a flood, the landscape changes and new life takes root in unexpected ways. I am eager to hear your thoughts in the future parts!

load more
User Profile: Schlag
Schlag February 3rd

@GlenM

Reflection question: We have all gone through challenging times, or rough rapids, and overcome them in the past. What would you tell a friend going through difficult waters now?

I would tell them- You are strong. You have made it through so much. This is your story and sometimes unexpected things get written in but when you make it through it will make you an even stronger person ready to face all the challenges. 

1 reply
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 February 5th

@Schlag

Love the metaphor of our lives as stories being written in real-time. Your description of resilience if beautiful and wise.

load more
User Profile: LightWhisper
LightWhisper February 6th

@GlenM

Thank you for this.

I struggle to find my way, most times alone, but just knowing that I can make errors and not feel abandoned, is pretty good inside :)

1 reply
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 February 10th

@LightWhisper

One thing you are never here on 7 Cups is alone <3 I'm happy you found this series and I look forward to reading about what you learn, as well as supporting you in the river room!

load more
User Profile: RainbowRosie
RainbowRosie February 10th

@GlenM

What would you tell a friend going through difficult waters ?

I’d tell them just because they’re in difficult waters, it doesn’t mean there’s no shore. I’m here and can float alongside them until they begin to find their feet. No-one should have to paddle alone 🌹🌹