Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mirror mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 May 5th, 2025

Does anyone else hate taking photographs, or looking in the mirror and if so what do people suggest to combat it?

136
User Profile: generousComputer6382
generousComputer6382 May 27th, 2025

@Amanda84 I have always hated pictures with me in them and the attention that it brought from others. For someone to be taking a picture of me, that meant that someone was looking at me. As I have been in therapy, that has shifted a little. Not much yet, but a little. Someday I may want a record of my life that has me in it. I hope that you reach that place as well. 

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP May 28th, 2025

@generousComputer6382 I am glad you are working through it and thank you so much, it warms my heart that you have shown me such care and kindness 💜🥰

load more
User Profile: genericbeing
genericbeing May 30th, 2025

@Amanda84 I hate hearing my voice in recordings, it always just sounds odd to me, but then again I do inhale helium a lot..

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 3rd, 2025

@genericbeing 🤣🤣

load more
User Profile: lostchild2
lostchild2 May 30th, 2025

@Amanda84 

I enjoyed being photographed for some years.

Then as I got older and gained weight after my son it took af few years I started to hate being photographed because I felt fat and unattractive due to I guess it goes back to kindergarten when I was called fat.

I was not fat too skinny if anything..as well as being called names by my peers through mid high school

So yeah self esteem has alot to do with how I see myself in mirrors as well as pictures. But mirrors are a totally different story. 

I just don't really like mirrors in general and haven't figured that one out yet..lol

But I think it does have alot to do on how we see ourselves as well as how we feel about ourselves

3 replies
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP May 31st, 2025

@lostchild2 how we see ourselves versus how we feel about ourselves, that's tge vital difference 💜🥰 thank you and im sorry you were bullied and ever had to feel lesser 💜

2 replies
User Profile: lostchild2
lostchild2 May 31st, 2025

@Amanda84

Thank you for your thoughts on the bullying..it did make me stronger as a person all in all but yes it did affect my self-esteem and how I see myself. 

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 1st, 2025

@lostchild2 it would be hard not to 💜🥰

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: GentleFish
GentleFish June 1st, 2025

Yes, and a skill I learned to combat the negative thoughts I have about myself is imagining I'm looking at my younger self. I like to imagine my 6 year old self.

Would I think those same things about them?

If they were experiencing unwanted or intrusive thoughts about themself, what would they need to hear from me as an adult?

This can help me practice having more compassion with myself. Being kinder to myself. And also allows me an opportunity to support myself.

3 things you could say to yourself as a child:

  1. I see you

  2. I'm here for you

  3. How can I support you right now?

Beware that this can cause tears!

I blubbered like a baby doing this the first time... and the second... and many times after that.

🐠

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 3rd, 2025

@GentleFish I cried reading this because it resonated so much to me and no, I would never treat my younger self like this 🥺💜

load more
User Profile: jimmy153673
jimmy153673 June 3rd, 2025

Yes, i hate to take photos of myself, and i also don't know how to pose or smile for a photo, but sometimes i think i look good on some of my candids,

3 replies
User Profile: generousComputer6382
generousComputer6382 June 3rd, 2025

Yes! I don't like posed photos of myself, but I have come to like some candids. I feel like they are really more me, if that makes sense. 

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 3rd, 2025

@generousComputer6382 it does make sense, thank you 💜🥰

load more
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 3rd, 2025

@jimmy153673 thanks, I understand what you mean 💜🥰

load more
User Profile: fossilfellow
fossilfellow June 3rd, 2025

Wish there were no mirrors of reflection of our selves in this world so everyone would not be so worried about their looks and not judge others bcus they don't know how they themselves are...idk just some thoughts

I love taking pictures of my cat though ❤️

5 replies
User Profile: WellsFiction
WellsFiction June 3rd, 2025

@fossilfellow Wouldn't that be nice. A world not worried about their own reflection, yet the reflection of those we see most often. A very thoughtful idea. Thanks Fossil :)

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 4th, 2025

@WellsFiction 💜🥰

load more
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 4th, 2025

@fossilfellow thank you for that, I agree, I wish people saw themselves through the eyes of those who love them 🥰💜

2 replies
User Profile: fossilfellow
fossilfellow June 4th, 2025

glad you liked it! ❤️🤗

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 4th, 2025

@fossilfellow 💜🥰

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Mia6600
Mia6600 June 3rd, 2025

I hate taking pictures of myself, getting my picture taken, looking at myself in the mirror or even catching a glimpse of myself anytime

3 replies
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 4th, 2025

@Mia6600 sending you hugs, you should never have to feel this way 💜

2 replies
User Profile: Mia6600
Mia6600 June 4th, 2025

Thank you❤️

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 4th, 2025

@Mia6600 you are welcome 💜

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: akunknown
akunknown June 5th, 2025

@Amanda84

I don’t hate looking in the mirror bc tbh I only look in the mirror when I need to. For those who do hate it, no matter why, you can always overcome it if you try, be easy with yourself, be patient with yourself while accepting it’ll take time, and be yourself without caring about what others think or say about you. It’s not about them. It is about you. 

As for taking photos, it depends. If someone’s pushing for taking photo after photo after photo over and over and over again for whatever reason then I’ll be telling myself “omg enough already!, how many more?, is it finally over?” and things like that. If it’s just one photo however then it’s fine. For those who hate taking photos or being in photos, once you take the time to see yourself in photos and love how you look in them, you won’t hate taking/being in photos anymore. Instead you’ll love it!

1 reply
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 OP June 19th, 2025

@akunknown thank you for your kind and great advice, it's greatly appreciated 💜🥰

load more
User Profile: girliepop244
girliepop244 June 19th, 2025

No

User Profile: girliepop244
girliepop244 June 19th, 2025

No