Menopause and Perimenopause
By popular request there is now a forum for women's topics like menopause and perimenopause. Please feel free to start chatting in this thread or create your own.
I'm so glad I found this thread.
I'm new at 7c, but 8 struggle immensely with my perimenopause.
A word I didn't even know a year ago. The peri bit anyway.
I have a hypoactive thyroid caused by Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroidism. I used to be fine with it, with the levothyroxine.
Now I don't know anyone if I need more or less medicine, as anxiety is supposed to be more of a hyper symptom (but rarely hypo too).
I feel sweaty at most times.
And I'm constantly leaking. If it's not bleeding for long periods (2weeks), then it's incontinence for at least a week before. I'm still somewhat regularly, i.e. every 30 to 40 days bleeding.
I am obesely overweight, partially because hypothyroidism, partially because I was on hydrocortisone a few years back due to now dormant (gone?) Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency (still no clue how it came and went away again).
The more I weigh the less mobile and sporty I am. I used to swim, now I only cycle to the office. At least this again, as in lockdown I didn't even do that. Instead, when working from home, I easily worked 2 or 3 hours longer thus felt even more exhausted to get even out for a walk.
I really want to get back into swimming but they are still limiting on time slots and changing room, nevermind showering.
Though I admit it is also a bit of an excuse because I don't really want to be seen in my "fat suit".
And recently my anxious disposition has increased in such a manner that I have anger outbursts whilst hyperventilating and inability to breathe. And I can't control it, even though my mind screams at me to stop. I constantly have to apologise for my behaviour and it's affecting me professionally and personally.
I'm a science kind of gurrl, in the UK. I can only hope that I soon can have time with a GP and that they prescribe HRT and that it works.
@ballooningSloth
I'm really sorry to hear that you have so many things to deal with at the same time. It must be hard trying to get your daily routine done when not feeling well and not really knowing what's going on in your body. Premenopause can be very challenging and confusing and having to deal with hypoththyroidism and anxiety is a lot. I hope that you will soon get that appointment with your GP to clear things up. HRT can be a great choice for some women but there are also alternatives to HRT which work very well, like being on a particular diet etc. There are a number of good books about it, maybe something to discuss with your GP if you're interested in it.
Swimming or any water activity like water aerobics are great exercises especially if you're weight is higher since the water supports the body. Cycling to work sounds great, you do something for yourself but also for the environment but particularly in menopause it is important to keep the body moving regularly so picking up walking could be very helpful to feed your happy hormones
, which in turn can help to make you less reactive and calmer but also help to loose weight.
@ballooningSloth Hi, I struggled a lot with peri menopause too. I had never heard of it either. I had only heard about menopause. I remember that during that time I had increased anxiety and even some angry outbursts too. It can definitely be a challenging time. My heart goes out to you. It sounds like a good idea to see a GP for this and other health concerns that you have. Best wishes to you.
I started going through peri menopause about 9 months ago. The anxiety is crazy. I never had it before, so I thought I was going crazy when I started having anxiety and mood swings. Im on bio identical estrogen and it has helped with my anxiety, but no low moods sometimes I get them and it really scares me because I’m afraid I’ll be stuck this way. I don’t know if I need my estrogen dose increased or if this is as good as it gets for now. After going through two gynecologists I have found one who listens, but would rather give me antidepressants than to increased my patch dose. Going for therapy has helped, as well as journaling. I also do breathing exercises and yoga. I’ve tried meditating, but I just can’t focus for long. I joined 7 cups to see if their was a peri menopause group. It’s difficult because my husband and adult children are trying their best to be supportive, but it’s hard for them to understand. The hardest part is feeling like I’m losing a part of myself.
@brightPeach7644
Sorry that this reply comes so late!
I'm glad you found a gynocologist who listens, I find for a women iat this stage of life it's really important to feel understood about what she is experiencing. Often our partners feel overwhelmed with this topic and children simply don't really understand what their mother is going through, how their mothers are trying to redefine themselves in a new chapter of life.
I wonder whether you ever heard about the book "The New Natural Alternatives to HRT" or any similar book about natural ways to deal with hormone changes during menopause?
Meditation, breathing, yoga and journalling are great ways to help yourself finding balance again!
@brightPeach7644 It sounds like you are doing some good things and have been given some good ideas to help you cope with perimenopause. I read that you were worried about being stuck this way. I wanted to let you know that I passed thru a few difficult years with perimenopause but eventually things did improve. I realise that this may vary from person to person but I just wanted to let you know that there is hope for things improving.
I'm wondering if this is part of my problem as well. I just turned 50 and have had increasing anxiety and panic attacks over the last 5 years or so. Looking back it's possible I was in perimenopause and still am. My period is almost nonexistent but still around.
What complicates things is I quit drinking 2 years ago and that was my number one crutch to deal with stress and anxiety. So now I can't tell if I've had anxiety all along and it was just masked or if I'm just now developing anxiety because I'm hitting that age. It might not even matter but I wish someone had told me this might happen so I could be on the lookout.
Lately I've been heart palpitations and surges of what feels like adrenaline. I got one last night and it felt like my shoulders were on fire. But I didn't feel hot. Is that what a hot flash feels like? I can't tell if it's that, a side effect from my meds (I just started Prozac for you guessed it, anxiety), or something else altogether.
The more I read on here the more I think this is one more factor in what is going on with me. But my doctor didn't act as though my age was even a factor.
@jellyisnice
Hi jellyisnice, sorry to hear you're going through all these struggles. It is not uncommon for women to experience mood swings, irritability or feeling of anxiety during stages of menopause based on hormonal changes but of course anxiety can also be part of a mental challenge/illness and the anxiety can became stronger during menopause.
Turning 50 has it's challenges on it's own, it's a point in life where we usually reflect on our past and future life, some people even struggle to find meaning at this point but it is also has many benefits in my view, like having made a lot of experiences already. Sadly the emotional challenges women have to face have not been taken into account as much as it is done nowadays and many women actually never knew what the challenge will be or simply what's going on in the body. However, there are some very good books on the market about dealing with perimenopause/menopause and alternatives to HRT (hormone replacement therapy).
Something I found very helpful in dealing with any kind of hormones changes/mood swings is strengthening our calming nervous stystem with meditation and also a diet which focusses on keeping the body balanced like avoiding sugar, bad and too much fats for example and of course trying to get enough sleep and exercise since with declining estrogen levels, you start to lose bone more quickly than you replace it what increasees the risk of osteoporosis.
@amiablePeace77 thanks so much for the kind words. It helps having others who understand what I'm going through. I hope to get even more information here on 7 cups.
@jellyisnice

First of all, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. It can sure be tough and scary and I hope your medication will help you to cope with them.
The female body is going through big changes and physical changes during perimenopause can lead to anxiety. Also when menopause hits the estrogen level drops it can cause more anxiety as well. High levels of estrogen makes us feel well and lower levels can cause anxiety or mood swings.
Since everything in the body works together it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause of feeling anxious. Menopause symptoms, physical changes, hormonal changes, emotional stress and every day life stress can all contribute to feeling anxious.
It can also be hard to know what is anxiety and what is menopause symptoms as they both are very much alike with mood swings, racing heart and irregular pulse. Heat flashes are also symptoms of both. During menopause, many people also suffer from difficulties sleeping which can lead to fatigue and irritability and also anxiety.
I am in perimenopause or just starting menopause myself at the moment and I can absolutely relate to having heat flashes. For me I just get super hot and sweaty all of a sudden. For me, I can't say it hurts, but it's uncomfortable, but I believe we can experience them in different ways.
What has helped me so far dealing with perimenopause is using relaxing techniques such as mindfulness and guided meditations. I try to control my breathing and the mindfulness helps me being in the present and relieve some of that stress.
I also try to get some exercise done, such as walks and riding my bike to work. The endorphins released while exercising helps with mood swings but also better sleep. I also try to eat healthy so I get a balanced diet.
Another thing I have done is to seek emotional support from family and friends or even here at 7 Cups as a member. I have been very open about being in perimenopause and I have come to realize I'm far from alone struggling with it. Knowing that has helped me.
I think it was wise of you to seek medical help for your anxiety. Therapy and medication can be of great help treating menopause anxiety. I'm proud of you for doing that for ourself.
I surely hope you find some ways to cope with menopause and anxiety. We are here for you if you ever need emotional support
Harmony
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
@musicalHarmony thanks for the information. I don't know what I was expecting but now I feel better equipped Knowing what's ahead. Finding balance is really hard for me but I'm trying to get better at it.
@jellyisnice I totally agree with what you said about not having been given any warning about perimenopause. I had never even heard of the word when I started going thru it. (A gynecologist is the one who finally told me when I was about halfway thru). I have read that antidepressants are being used to treat perimenopause. So I hope that it will help you with anxiety whether yours is from perimenopause or not. I think that it's a good idea to discuss any possible side effects from medications with the doctor.
Perimenopause/Menopause
Having lived with Hashimotos since Age 5, and then having had Children until finally ending up in your late 30s, struggling with Perimenopause but not knowing what it was.
Recipe for Disaster
I had no idea about Perimenopause, always thought that Women's Periods just stopped one day when they got to their 50s or 60s. Never knowing that a Woman can be going through Perimenopause for a good 10 years before proper Menopause hits and then your Period starts acting up and stopping and starting all the time.
Not to mention the side effects and the effects on your Moods, Relationships, Work and Life.
It truly sucks at times for some.
I did find a little gem whilst doing some Research for other stuff though, (related to Anxiety and the likes). I have posted about this on the main Page, its called the Bio Tuner, and its a great little gadget in more ways than one.
Look this up if your reading this Post, as it really helped me, and in no way am I a Promoter, Influencer, Sales Rep or anything. Just a Product that I brought 2nd Hand and realized that it was what a lot of people were saying it was, and it was helping them.
All the Best
@lovingSkies3397
Hi lovingSkies! Sadly the information about perimenopause/menopause and what a women can do to help herself get through well is still not spread enough in many societies. Some women hardly suffer but some have many struggles just to get through the day. Unfortunately I had lots of troubles with menopause until I learned about changing diet (I started to eat much more channa or garbanzo beans, no sugar, lots of green leaves etc.) and made sure that I got enough exercise. I believe meditation is a great help in perimenopause/menopause because our alert system seems to be on higher alert. Having an app with calming music like you suggested is definitively great and so easily available! I did not have that so I simply recorded some songs which I found calming.
@soulsings
Glad to find this thread.
I started going through perimenopause in my mid-40s, with terrible hot flashes and night sweats. My anxiety got terrible, and caused some serious issues in my relationship with husband. In the last two and a bit years, I've been on anti-anxiety meds, as well as exercising regularly, eating better, and drinking less.
This is a phase of life that I really didn't know what to expect, and I wish that info was shared about peri and menopause like they would teach us about puberty and stuff.
Struggling with body changes as well - I'm still getting used to this new body, having put on 20ish lbs (sometimes more) since before I started "the change." :D
Oh the joys of maturing...! Hee hee!
@galfromaway. I hear you. I had never heard about peri menopause ether! I had very bad mood swings in my 40’s before I found out about peri menopause. It hope the actions you are taking will be helpful for you.
@galfromaway
@galfromaway
I can relate to what you said. It seemed to me that no one really wants to talk about the big challenges some women have to face. Sorry to hear that it got to the point that perimenopause was having a bad effect on your relationship. It is hard when you don't know what's happening in your body and there is little or no support. Eating healthy and exercising can help a lot to support the body. There are some good books on the market about menopause and the hormonal changes. One that helped me was from Marilyn Glenville "The New Natural Alternatives to HRT". Something I find very helpful in dealing with menopause is the practise of mindfulness, particularly meditation since it calms the mind and reduces the anxiety and can help too with food cravings. Some people put on weight and it can be frustrating but keep eating healthy, it can help to loose those pounds again.
@amiablePeace77, thank you. It really was a tough time. Apparently perimenopause can cause issues with existing anxiety, and that really put a strain on my partnership. Thankfully a separation was temporary, and I've been continuing to work on myself ever since. I'm on anti-anxiety medications, and continue counselling as I need to. I'm also doing a healthy lifestyle program, which involves healthier eating and exercise. Oh, and a dog joining our family joining last year has also helped. Not perfect of course -- I'm still not familiar with this body -- but it's a work in progress.
Just have to get back into hiking more regularly, and I'll be great! :) (or continue to get better!)
@galfromaway
Nice to hear that things did not get to the worst and that you take so great care of yourself, it's always important but particularly in this time. Awesome that you got a new family member, what is your pet's name? 😊
@amusingTree5235
I'm glad that you found something that helped you.
Thank you for sharing. I find it's very important to to consult your doctor before taking any medicinal creams tough.
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have any good perimenopause and menopause book recommendations?
I read 'Hot and Bothered' by Jancee Dunn and loved it. I need to read it again. I read it years before my symptoms started, and it has helped me so much as my body changes.
Or any other kind of books that don't directly relate to perimenopause, but you still felt like they helped you deal with your symptoms? Thank you!
@braveTruth816
Perimenopause/menopause can be very challenging for some people. It was a quite difficult time for me and this book helped me a lot:
"The New Natural Alternatives to HRT" Marilyn Glenville PhD
@amiablePeace77 Thank you for your recommendation!
I just read "The New Menopause" by Mary Claire Haver and it was great. It includes a bunch of testimonials for the different symptoms women can have. I also love to see her interviews on social media!
@braveTruth816
Thanks for sharing that title!
@soulsings
While I am not at this stage of life myself, I appreciate having a space dedicated to these conversations. Menopause and perimenopause are significant experiences that affect many women, yet they are not always discussed openly. Reading about the experiences, challenges, and insights of others can help build understanding and reduce some of the stigma or misconceptions that often surround these topics.
I look forward to learning from the perspectives shared here and gaining a greater appreciation for the different stages of women's health and well-being.
@TheJourneyOfResilience
Menopause and perimenopause are significant experiences in a woman's life for sure, and I just wanted to point out the importance of having someone to talk about it, someone who understands and might have been through it themselves already. Unfortunately, I did not have anyone to talk about it at that time and it was hard so I hope others will join this thread and share more about their experiences.
I have some perimenopause symptoms but only in my early thirties