Can eating to much be an eating disorder?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

cashmeredreams
An eating disorder is an unhealthy relationship with food. There are different types of eating disorders, it can be eating nothing, eating too little, eating and purging, eating too much and even eating 'too healthily'. If it starts affecting most aspects of your life, when you find it difficult to do your daily tasks without thinking about food all the time, then there might be something going on there.
Anonymous
Only a professional could say if someone has an eating disorder, but binge eating/compulsive eating does count as a disorder.
EmpatheticEar
Definitely! Significantly overeating can be a part of Bulimia or Binge Eating Disorder. Binge Eating Disorder is newly recognized by the psychological community and the DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). Both of these disorders involve binging which is rapidly eating a large amount of food in a short period of time. Occasional overeating doesn't mean you have an eating disorder. But frequent binging which feels uncontrollable and causes you distress may mean you could have an eating disorder. These links can explain to you more about these two eating disorders: http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=149467 http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=149448
BeautifulBeginnings
December 22nd, 2014 3:10am
Yes, it can be! It is called a binge eating disorder. It can be very disabling and just as harmful as any other eating disorder. It definitely is something someone should get help with so they can overcome it.
MusicGal
January 2nd, 2015 4:03am
There is such thing as disordered eating where for example, eating too much falls under. This is when someone eats more than they know they should. The 'eating disorder' version of this is called binge eating. This is when you eat large abouts to stuff down feelings. In conclusion, eating too much is only an eating disorder if there is a mental issue attached to it. Otherwise it is disordered eating.
Anthony974
Possibly, it depends on other circumstances. Binge eating disorder is described as constant, compulsive overeating. If this matches what you are doing, it is possible you have a binge eating disorder. However, only a licensed professional can diagnose this.
Rowan92
Yes! Discovering this lifted a huge weight (no pun intended!) of guilt, shame and despair off my shoulders. I am not a weak loser who failed every diet I ever tried, the diets failed me! It might be you as well. Take heart, take a deep breath, you are worth it.
Harri
Of course. An eating disorder includes anything where you feel out of control as to when and what you eat, whether it is thinking you must eat too little or too much
Anonymous
Yes. It could be an eating disorder because you feel the need to eat to feel comforted about something in your life or something you've experienced
Turtrox
Yes it can, there is such a eating disorder as BED (Binge Eating Disorder). Anything disordered eating, whether too much or too little, does classify as some sort of eating disorder. Please see a doctor if you're worried!! Take care :)
Devonne
Yes, eating to much can be an eating disorder. It called B.E.D - Binge Eating Disorder, when you eat a huge amount of food.
RachaelIsAwesome
Yes, it can. There are many ways to go an diagnose it. One of the names for it is BED (Binge Eating Disorder). It states exactly what it is.
Anonymous
What you perceive to be too much obviously plays a role on what overeating is. Let's not forget that your body type and your level of activity plays a big role in how much you should eat. Last but not least, the kind of food you're eating too much of must be considered. Either way, overeating for emotional needs is classified as an eating disorder - otherwise known as Binge Eating Disorder. If you're eating very unhealthily OR you follow the binge & purge cycle. It's best to consult a professional immediately and find means to control your diet. Good luck!
Leilah18
Yes it can be a disorder , you may have heard of binge eating, it is like bulimia but without the vomiting
LendingEars
Yes it can. Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) is characterized by compulsive overeating in which people consume huge amounts of food while feeling out of control and powerless to stop. It is just as serious as Anorexia and Bulimia, and if you or someone you know is struggling with B.E.D. It is suggested that you tell a trusted adult. For more information on Binge Eating Disorder: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/eating-disorders/binge-eating-disorder.htm
Tuscany
Yes, eating too much can become an eating disorder. This behavior is usually linked to emotional eating.
Hibisca
Yes, eating too much can definitely be an eating disorder. Eating to the point of physical pain or feeling negative emotions such as guilt while or after eating are symptoms of binge eating disorder. If you feel ashamed or like you need to hide your eating habits, that probably suggests that you have a negative relationship and mentality around food.
Brittneym101
Yes, eating to much can be an eating disorder. People get eating disorders for different reasons. Maybe they feel fat, underweight, under a lot of stress, going through depression, and so much more. Everyone doesn't have the same diet/meal plan so everyone's treatments for these eating disorders are very different. Here is a show that I came across on youtube a long time ago. I find it to be very helpful no matter what time of eating disorder you have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcst2mPwOc I hope you find it helpful.
Anonymous
I believe what happens to our bodies is the outcome of our thoughts. And as so, I don't like to mention the word "disorder" a lot, because once you give this matter attention, it will be adopted by many people, and thus it spreads and becomes common; and if it's common; it's real, which however isn't necessarily true . So eating too much can't be a disorder; it's simply a way of eating.
EnergizingLove99
Of course eating too much consistently can be a disorder! I've struggling with Binge Eating for 6 years now. It's hard! Just like alcohol, drugs, or even working out or over working, food is very addictive.
Anonymous
if you are binge eating regularly, then yes, i would say yes
SkinnyLove17
Yes it can be
beYOUtiful365
Binge Eating is when one eats an enormous amount of food in one sitting and then feels regret about it later, but chooses not to stop. This action then becomes repetitive.
SamanthaFaith
Yes, I suffer from body dysmorphia myself. It's when you are very uncomfortable with your body. I used to not really care about my weight or what I was putting into my body but I soon realized that my body was a big deal and I need to deal with this problem. Eating too much can also become an addiction if you eat uncontrollably.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2015 10:53am
Yes, an Eating Disorder is mainly an unhealthy relationship with food. Eating too much, or eating mass amounts at a single time can be indicators of an Eating Disorder. This may present signs of food aggression, binging or medical problems.
colourfulWind85
It can be if it is a evasive amount all the time it is called binge eating and what happened is you start eating cause your bored tired ect and you feel like you can't stop.
Anonymous
extreme over eating can be an eating disorder yes
carefreeNarwhal88
August 22nd, 2016 2:02pm
Yes if you binge eat you are maybe suffering from bulimia. If you're overweight and you know that you eat kuch more than a normal human then yes you maybe got bulimia
fruitySmiles21
Eating too much can not be an eating disorder and long as it's not binging. Binge eating disorder is sometimes called compulsive overeating.
Anonymous
Yes, binge eating and overeating are both considered to be eating disorders. Both can be unhealthy, with consequences, but just because you do it once, doesn't make it a mental disorder.