Is it an eating disorder if I eat when I am bored or sad?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

beautifulFaith43
It may be a factor towards developing an eating disorder such as an overeating disorder. However this is commonly referred to as emotional eating or comfort eating where you feel the need to eat food as a way of coping.
magnanimousBraveheart49
I feel that I try to fill by boredom and sadness with food, but it does not work. This I believe makes it a eating disorder.
Anonymous
If this eating behavior is interfering with your life, then I think it is possible. If not, it might be that food is a coping skill. If you are unsure, I would recommend looking up eating disorders in the DSM.
zaix
Not really, lots of people do that, that's why people normally suggest to drink lots of water because it makes you feel full and you don't feel like you need to eat even when you are sad or bored.
It's a emotional disorder actually, simply because you are trying to fill the hole or gap that you have that is making you bored or sad by food.
colourfulWind85
Yes it could be, there is a eating disorder called binge eating where you eat when your stressed sad bored ect.
SilenceAtNight
Not necessarily. There is a difference between having periods of disordered/emotional eating and having a full fledged eating disorder. For example, after a breakup someone may overeat and gain weight or undereat and lose weight but this doesn't mean the person necessarily has an eating disorder. A hallmark of eating disorders is that they are both physically and psychologically destructive over an extended period of time. They also usually interfere with daily functioning in some way which could be things like relationships, work, or school. You may want to consult the DSM to learn the specific requirements to be diagnosed with the various types of eating disorders.
Leyla98
I think not. You just eat away your emotions (which is a thing many of us do), but that doesn't immediately make it an eating disorder.
Anonymous
Not necessarily. Unless you binge eat when you are bored or sad meaning you might have a form of eating disorder. Other than that if you consume some food it's normal. Maybe try and fill up your free time, occupy yourself.
Melody293
It can be kind of. Emotional eating is not necessarily an eating disorder on it's own, but it can lead to other eating disorders sometimes.
Anonymous
An eating habit becomes a disorder when it seriously interferes with your life. If you can not function normally in your work, social or school environment due to eating factors than it would be considered an eating disorder.
Anonymous
Emotional eating can be distorted, whether it is diagnosable is up to your gp
Anonymous
Search for the binge eating disorder and compare your eating habbits to the symptoms.. This might help
LunarNymph8
It is not mindful eating and it can develop. Bad habits are not created over night, but once they are formed it is very hard to get rid of them. Mindful eating is the healthiest way to eat - eating only when hungry, eating what your body needs, and stopping once satisfied. When sad or bored, find more productive things to do. Take a walk, call a friend, dance, write. Try not to develop bad habits.
keepingyououtt
Yes, but there is brilliant therapy out there for it, my friend used to do this, but she managed to overcome it :)
avocadoallyson
It's not necessarily an eating disorder if you eat when you are bored or sad. This means that you may eat when you are feeling certain emotions. If you are concerned, seek out the advice of a professional.
shubalubs
It think it all depends on the situation. Most people will eat if they are bored or if they are going through a rough time. If you find yourself doing this often and it is starting to effect your life, then I would reach out for help to see if you do.