Do I have to label myself?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Anonymous
No, never, you never have to label yourself. Labels never actually mean anything it's like when someone says a cup can only be used as a cup but sometimes it could be used as a bowl, or a holder for a beautiful plant. You make it how you make it a label doesn't control it. If you don't feel comfortable enough with a label then you don't have to label yourself in any shape or form, just do you.
Apanda
Nope! Labels can help people make sense of how they feel or who they are. But if labels don't work for you, you definitely don't have to use them. Just be yourself!
glowingpeace18339
No, of course not! I know labels can be difficult, since they're so hard to live up to. If you know who you are and your identity, that's really all that matters:) You are you, and you're the way you need to be.
Anonymous
No! Labels can be such an empowerment but not if they are forced. Give yourself time to really figure out what you are feeling and then you'll know.
CastleIrwell
In my opinion, you do not have to label yourself. As the saying goes, "labels are for clothes!" Just be who you are and love who you love, and accept yourself and others.
NoImaginationY
There is no such need. Sexuality is a spectrum and doesn't have to be something you put in boxes, not to mention that it can be fluid. If you feel you want to label it it's just fine, but if you don't it's just as fine. What matters most is how you feel.
calmStrawberry15
Unlike what most people say, no you don't! You can always just say that you prefer not to label yourself or you are who you are.
devyn91
Not unless you're comfortable doing so. Labels are simply tools meant to help you express yourself and connect to people with similar experiences.
Anonymous
No, labeling yourself or not doing so is a personal choice. I find it to be useful to avoid having to explain myself, my emotions, my wants and don't wants to everyone every time the topic is mentioned. It is also helpful to me because it give me a sense of belonging somewhere...of being understood. But it is not an obligation at all :) If you feel happier without a label then go of it! Its all about what works best for you
Lucent
Not if you don't want to. Labels can be convenient for communication, but if you find them stressful or would rather just describe yourself in your own way, there's no reason you have to pick labels to define yourself.
Anonymous
Absolutely not. Many people prefer not to label themselves and that's perfectly okay. some people might be confused if you don't label yourself because they may think that everyone has to have one but it's just not true.
kindheartedSky78
I think we live in a society where labels seem to have importance. However, there is no reason why you have to label yourself if you really do not want to. What do you feel about it?
yourfabsenpai
No, you don't. Labels are names that individuals are comfortable with identifying themselves as. Or society does involuntary labeling with names that it views, suit the individual. Gay, Asian, white, tall, girl, funny, smart, those are all labels. If you're not comfortable describing a certain part of you, then you don't have to. Others may assume labels for you, but you just need to tell them that you don't like being labeled, and hopefully they will listen. How you want to be viewed is up to you.
Brittneym101
No you don't have to label yourself. It makes no difference where you came from and who or what you like there is no need for a label. You are who you are and you like what you like. Whether you're Lesbian,Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender etc, either way you're human God still loves you and there is nothing that can and will ever change that.
Anonymous
Absolutely not - you may feel like others pressure you too, like yout need a label to be understood, but if you don't want to label yourself, just don't. Being unlabeled is scary, but it's also freeing.
SkyeIsThereForYou
To some people it is nice to have something that you can call yourself but sometimes it might hurt, Luke if you called yourself something and then other people started calling you that. It hurts sometime.
Chaliercy
Certainly not. Although this is a choice entirely yours, it is not necessary. Many people get harmed because they think labels are needed. The important thing is that you are a person completely equal each other, and you are amazing.
Oreo
Short answer: No. Long answer: Labels are used by individuals as a means of feeling belongingness or affinity with a certain identity. Some people feel that they tend towards many labels that were previously thought to be contradictory, but is actually possible to coexist. It is your own self, and therefore you get to choose your labels, if you choose to have them at all. The only labels that apply to you are the ones that you choose.
warmheartedHuman2014
I don't think you have to label yourself. It depends on if having that label/identity is important to you. I myself don't like labels. I don't like being labeled based off of my race or my sexual orientation. I am just me and the the experience that have shaped me. Just be true to yourself and don't try to fit into the box of any label if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
theflyingtoaster
Labels are ridiculous. You are you. You are exactly who you are meant to be, and not what others say. Just because they label you, doesn't mean you have to call yourself that. You're much more than a simple word. You are outstanding and one-of-a-kind.
Emmastylinson21
No! You do not have to label yourself as anything. Let love and attraction come first, and worry about labels later. Maybe one day you'll find a label that suits you best, or maybe not. And that's okay too.
SamSPN
Of course not. It may make some people feel better about themselves as they have something to identify with, but it isn't necessary whatsoever to label yourself. Give yourself time and just be yourself:)
Gabocha3086
Labels are the easy way for humans to put you in a category,I think we are more than that, unique...
miaplum
Absolutely not. That is, if you're comfortable with it or not. For years I've been worried about my gender and the thought occurred to me that i didn't need to put a label on myself anyway. You're not a product on the shelves, you're a human, you don't need a label.
gracefulSunshine62
No! Labels are entirely a personal choice. Labels are there only if you want them. Everyone is their own individual so people that choose a label all fit that label a little differently. You are yourself no matter if you choose a label or not. Neither decision makes your identity any less valid.
Anonymous
Not at all.. If you feel people are rushing you to do so try not to worry. We're human. There's nothing to label. Always be yourself. Your own Happiness comes first ❤
Yourfairygodbro
You don't have to but personally, I like labels. They help me understand myself better and it's completely fine to change them once you figure out they're incorrect.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 12:49am
You don't have to label yourself. You are who you are, a label can just help you openly identify or explain to others how you feel.
PearlGrey
absolutely not! if you're happy just being you without worrying about a label then go ahead! if you're still figuring out what you'd want to be labelled, thats fine! if you don't like labels, thats fine, if you decide you want a label but then change your mind, thats also fine! some people find labels useful, some people don't. go with whatever you feel most comfortable with :) .
erenflowers
Of course not. It's entirely up to you, although it might confuse others. Reasons people do label themselves is purely so they can figure out who they are. Labeling might or might not be right for you, but going without labels is perfectly normal and okay.