Why do i verbally degrade myself whenever something goes wrong?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

Anonymous
Many people verbally degrade themselves as a form of punishing themself for making a mistake. Consider keeping track of accomplishments (even small ones!) and rewarding yourself for the things you achieve.
QuietHawk
Because that is your default response. When you first learned to say please and thank-you, you had to be reminded each and every time; now you do it automatically. Using a more supportive message when you do something wrong can be easily learned! Simply replace the degrading response with a loving response each and every time. All it takes is practice. I like to speak to myself the same way that I would to a cherished friend. My favorite response to myself and others is: "its okay to make mistakes while we learn."
- Expert in Self-Esteem
Could be the result of low self esteem. It will be worthwhile to look into this behavior and clarify the dynamic behind it.