Can insomnia and hypersomnia both be diagnosed as a secondary symptom to an underlying problem?

Katherine Aucoin, Transpersonal Counselling Psychology

I specialize in women's issues. I offer you compassion and support on your unique journey and work with you to heal your emotional wounds to find more freedom and joy.

CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
Indeed, and oftentimes insomnia or hypersomnia are not likely to be the first things a psychologist or other doctor thinks when one mentions it, and this is because more often than not, there usually is an underlying issue that needs to be sorted out.
littlestolive
Definitely! They can both be caused by much more serious things that need to be diagnosed and evaluated by a professional.
Emily619
Insomnia and Hypersomnia can both be diagnosed as a secondary symptom to an underlying problem. If you ever need help with that, never hesitate to ask for help!
Anonymous
It can be a problem related to Major Depressive Disorder.Here the person might be suffering from other depressive symptoms.
MysticBelinda
Yes. They actually usually are diagnosed as a secondary symptom to an underlying problem. Hypersomnia might be diagnosed with depression. Just as insomnia can be diagnosed with paranoia. In my own experience, insomnia came with my PTSD. It is very common to find them diagnosed as a seconday symptom