Why do I wake up every hour, on the hour?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

Roboto
Cortisol might be the cause.. Cortisol is the hormone that makes us feel alert, it can sometimes be elevated at night when we are under stress or lead stressful lives. Also it is elevated when our blood sugar is low (our body uses cortisol to RAISE blood sugar). So if you have not eaten for a long time, or have eaten a sugar loaded meal, then when the crash comes your body will use cortisol to raise the sugar level in your blood, keeping you awake at night. This is important, because your body's blood sugar level can lead even to death if it goes out of the parameters your body/brain needs, so your body prioritises this. A sugary diet or not eating well can lead to problems, as your body will prioritise its blood sugar levels over sleep (and that is saying something!). Also caffeine (as most know) should be avoided, but I recommend giving it up entirely. Read "the truth about caffeine" or a similar book, if you need convincing. Phosphatidylserine, a natural substance we produce in our bodies as well as getting from a some foods can really help us reabsorb cortisol when its high, so this can be helpful, but only if you sort out your diet too, Supplements of this could help if taken after dinner, I was recommended 300mg a night by functional medical practitioner and it was very effective, I however suggest getting some nutritional advice or advice from a functional medical practitioner before undertaking any supplement program. Hormone problems related to your thyroid can also make a difference to your sleep quality, and so if you are experience lack of energy (which I bet you do) then check out your thyroid. Docs normally won't treat you if your TSH (a thyroid marker they look at) is below 5, but if its over 2 you will not feel good (I know this from my own experience and that of others I have spoken to). If your TSH is over 2 then go and see a functional medical practitioner (please learn the difference between them and regular doctors) and you will be on the right track. Not all sleepless nights are caused by universal factors or the ones I've mentioned, my information is for you to bear in mind and use your judgement. Magnesium deficiency can really harm a good night's sleep, so my last words on the subject are to try a little magnesium after dinner (magnesium is the most deficient nutrient in modern society) so its likely it could help. You can take it through supplement tablets, a body spray on the skin, or baths with salts high in magnesium. They all work. Magnesium is the first thing given to heart attack patients to calm everything down, so you can imagine its importance, and also its safeness, please read up on it or take advice before proceeding with any supplements though. I hope you find this information useful, I have obtaining from wide reading, discussions with functional medical practitioners and nutritionists, and lastly but not least, through first hand experience.
WhoWho
I wake up every hour on the hour because everytime I am awake I can do better in the world. When you are awake you have the potential for so much.
Smilelikethis15
You might be worried or anxious about something? Are you scared of something or has anyone threatened you recently? Do you feel safe where you sleep?
Unlocker3674
insomnia is often caused by overthinking and over worrying about things, which isn't hard to guess but very hard to deal with. Make peace with yourself, care less about others and more about your well being
deedee1909
There are many different causes for sleep insomnia. Environmental factors - Is your room to hot, too cold, uncomfy, too light, too dark. Adapt your sleeping arrangements to suit you. Some can't sleep without background noise, some require absolute silence. Others will not be able to sleep wearing pyjamas, whereas others would be unable to get comfy without them. Mental factors - Are you experiencing stress, anxiety, paranoia, feeling pressured? Or even are you extremely happy... is everything just a bit too perfect? These things can effect our sleep, the mind is extremely powerful! If you feel there is an underlying cause, consult a healthcare professional. Medical factors - Are you unwell? Have a cold? In pain? Medical factors can have a huge impact on sleep, even things such as pregnancy can change your sleeping habits! Again, if you feel a medical problem could be a factor consult a healthcare professional. Crazy but proven tip!... Supposedly our body clocks can in fact be reset!!!! A recent study showed that when a group of insomniacs took to camping for 3 days, their body clocks rest themselves, and when returning home they would wake and go to sleep at more "normal" times. The theory behind this, is that when sleeping under the stars and away from technology, your body learns to rise when the sun comes up, and sleep when the sun goes down. This isn't to say the sun actually triggers you to fall asleep, but supposedly can have a positive effect on those with sleep disorders.
Anonymous
Sounds like a sleeping problem. Here are a few situations though: Circadian Rhythm Disorders, Insomnia, Snoring, Sleep Apnea, Pregnancy, Narcolepsy, Restless Leg Syndrome, Nightmares, Night Terrors and Sleepwalking, Young Age, Old Age, Lifestyle, Medication, Depression, Anxiety, Heart Failure, or Lung problems. If any of these sounds like something you have or do have, chances are they could be the problem. Asking a health professional is your best resort if you need more information or help. :)
wonderfulCupcake00
Check for ventilation , proper sleep hygiene, Some people have some time adjusting due to changes , maybe , new environment , noise, trauma it differs
zaix
There's lots of weird sleeping schedules, lots of people have trouble sleeping all throughout the night and not waking for no apparent reason, you may need to talk to a professional about it because I know nothing else about you and therefore I cannot help very well.
Anonymous
Sleep disorders are very common and very treatable a doctor can best recommend how you can get a full nights sleep.
Anonymous
If this is not a biological disorder then it is propably OCD.Maybe you are anxious about something and that is troubling your sleep.
jony25
may be your mind is occupied with some thing you know when you are going to sleep your mind still wake and your thoughts go around allover your head .so don't give mind to any thing & try to clear your mind before you go to bed & go to bed when you want to sleep ..
Anonymous
To wake up effectively, i have my friends call me to wake me up, or use my favorite songs as alarm clocks!
lyricalSea85
There is something going on in your mind. Something the brain has been trying to tell you, and something you have left unnoticed. Each day, before going to bed, recall every single activity you have done throughout the day. All the happy ones, the embarrassing ones, everything... Have a glass of water and sleep.
WinterLavender
When your body is used to sleeping or waking up at a certain hour, it is only natural for it to keep waking up at the same time. If you have to wake up earlier, try to adjust the time you sleep gradually.
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2017 10:26am
Something in your life might be unsolved and keep you restless. Make a list of all the things that you want to do, things that you have to do. Arrange them by importance or priority. Group them in categories like "goals", "todo", "maybe someday" or "next action". Those "next action" items that need less than two minutes time can be tackled at once. When a task is finished, scratch the item from your list. See "GTD method" for further info. Good luck!
Anonymous
This could be for several different reasons. Maybe talking to your doctor about it can help. But remember only you can figure out you.
Anonymous
it probably is a habit! :) i tend to also wake up either right on the dot at 6 in the morning or around there!
Anonymous
Because I cannot sleep and am stressed out about life and my family. Those are the most important :)
StayGorgeous08
You wake up at the same time every time perhaps because you go to bed at the same time. That's a good thing.
Anonymous
If you suddenly just start waking up every night, every hour on the hour and there is nothing wrong with you, that should be of concern. You may have had invasive surgeryin the past under general anaesthetic. Many people have started to complain about this type of very odd sleeplessness. I recommend you buy a hand held radio frequency scanner and test for yourself for radio frequency implants. RFID is a very serious threat to privacy and no one wants to talk about it.
AshleyLawrence
There are a variety of reasons. Maybe you have trouble with sleeping, maybe your hormone levels are off, maybe it is a habit that you have gotten yourself in, maybe there is some anxiety, etc. I would definitely go talk to your medical doctor. They will be able to see if it is biological and they will treat you. They will also be able to tell if it is psychological and they will refer you to a psychologist who can help you. I imagine that your day to day functioning is pretty impaired from missing so much sleep and not being able to reach your deep sleep, which is when your memories are formed and your body repairs itself, so I would definitely see someone about it soon. Also if you are feeling oddly paranoid or anxious it is most likely connected to the lack of sleep.
Supergirl94
You could have a hormonal imbalance or maybe one of your vitamins is low and you need herbal supplements or vitamins to help boost it? Could also be you may have various distractions around the house, such as tv, music, phones, tablets (Electronics in general) that make noise, or if you have a clock that makes a noise every hour, or even an animal that may pull you out of sleep for some reason.
Anonymous
Maybe you are having nightmares of some sort? you should talk to a doctor to find out a professinal answer
Rogue1234
It could have started from one night casue by dream or overheating and your body just got used to it. the best thing to do is fix your sleep pattern
SarahTheCarer
You may make up often if something is on your mind as this makes it hard to relax and shut off. Try speaking to a listener to try and get whatever may be bothering you off your chest! Sometimes having someone to talk to is all it takes to feel better.
Anonymous
Maybe you are regretting something from the past or something is stopping you from something you must do
Anonymous
Sometimes, this could be caused by menstrual cramps. Have you had these lately? This is a common cause.
Anonymous
You might be having insomnia, the kind that makes it hard for you to stay asleep. Maybe you could see a sleep doctor to determine the cause.
StormyAngles18 - Expert in Sleeping Well
It could be many different things. you could have a sleeping condition (but check with a doctor first) it could be how your body timer is set. You can try (with doctors permission) sleeping meds and or vitamins to help you sleep better.
ErinKay
This could be for many different reasons. Emotionally, there could be some reason for you waking up. There also could be some medical reasons behind it as well. The best thing to do is think about if you're experiencing any heavy thoughts before bed, whether the sleep environment you're in is comfortable, or if there is a medical cause, get to the bottom of it by speaking with a doctor. Also, if at all possible, ask someone who has been around you while you're sleeping if they've noticed anything.