My sleeping pattern is so disrupted. How can I fall back into a normal sleeping pattern?

Spain

Temi Coker, MSC, MA, Dip.Cons

With over ten years experience, I offer a safe and confidential environment  for you to collect your thoughts, worries & life problems with no judgement or assumptions.    

shortround44
Close your eyes, and imagine you're painting your bedroom a different color. Try to imagine all of your senses being stimulated; the color of the paint, the smell, the feel of the brush in your hands, and try to imagine every single step of the way. Try to immerse yourself in the imagination, and you may find yourself drifting off right away. Try doing this at the same time every night.
brocepticon1
Whenever I am struggling with getting back into a routine sleeping pattern, I make sure to stay awake until I reach the time I would normally go to bed. Then, I like to go exercise for 30 minutes to an hour about 2 hours before I want to go to sleep. I make sure to tire out my body and my mind, so sleep will come naturally. Make sure that the environment is calming. I like to use a fan for white noise.
frostyMoon72
i always recommend drinking tea and reading a book it will get you so tired. find one that really interest you
Brendoodlee
You can try to set an alarm from when you want to sleep, so you get reminded that you need to sleep, its also a good tip to not be on your laptop/pc or mobile at least 30 minutes before you go to sleep, if you're not tired you can read a book or draw something, just to relax yourself, maybe some nice cup of tea with it, and when you start to feel tired, try to sleep, try to get a normal schedule of sleeping, everyday the same hours and eventually you don't need an alarmclock.
comfortingSound30
There is an app F:Lux which reduces the amount of blue light on your screens. Blue light (daylight) resets your biological clock. If you reduce the amount of blue light you will sleep better.
Anonymous
I find using sleeping apps work well. If you struggle falling asleep that is. I listen to relaxing sounds like rain or storms to distract my mind and it helps me to fall asleep. Also there is the obvious - stay off your phone/laptop at least an hour before bed. Try reading before bed too
Anonymous
Be tired at the end of the day, you got tired by doing sport and doing things during the day. Eat well too.
peacefulPond74
There are many binaural sounds app. that will put you right to sleep. I used to have sleeping problems and since i've been using them i dont wake up at all and i wake up refreshed. Try them they are free!
EnlightenedLux
Go camping. It'll gaurantee a total sleeping pattern reset if you're willing to go into the outdoors without technology
Anonymous
You can practise good sleep hygiene by sleeping at the same time every day, not using your phone/computer an hour before you sleep and turning all lights off in your room. You can google "sleep hygiene", there are a lot of articles out there about this :)
rebeccamariexox
Don't take naps during the day, you won't be able to sleep at night. Get up at the same time every day. And don't use electronics before bed, it will stimulate you.You can also try having a routine before bed to train your body to know it's time to sleep.
Anonymous
Set yourself a bed time, and stick to it. Turn off all electronics, use some white noise, and make the room dark and somewhat cool. Make sure you set an alarm for the morning, and stick with this.
Anonymous
You can fall back into a normal sleeping pattern by creating something called a "sleeping schedule" so you can record what time you fall asleep at each night and how many hours of sleep you got. Turn off all technology by at least 10pm and be in bed by 11pm. Then fill that out on the form, and get to bed. Think of it as a game almost.
BooishMonkey
Try an earlier routine. Do not exercise right before bed. Turn of electronics an hour before deciding to sleep. Keep your activity level low as well as your food intake. During the day make sure you are able to get exercise and eat a balanced diet.
amazingSunshine91
November 22nd, 2016 1:27am
It can be really hard to get a sleep cycle back on track. A few things that have helped me are having (and sticking to!) a bedtime and wake-up time every day EVEN THOUGH it's so hard. "Catching up" on sleep during the weekend doesn't really work all that well, if you can avoid it. Also, blue light can be very disruptive. I would recommend either planning to have technology off an hour before bed, or using certain programs which can filter out blue light from your screen if you HAVE to use a device. Finally, planning to eat an earlier rather than later dinner helps digestion, and gives you the time for something soothing like a warm glass of water before bed.
Anonymous
It may seem difficult, but some of the best advice I can give, is to make sure that you are going to bed and getting up at the same time everyday (including weekends - I know you will probably hate the idea) but it gets your body clock to realise that it is time to sleep/wake up. Also try and make sure that you get the correct amount of sleep recommended for your age. I think it is usually around 8 hours minimum? This is extremely important to try and maintain as it allows your body to be properly rested. Lastly, make sure to only use your bed when sleeping - I know it sounds difficult - but I swear it is a life saver. It was defiantly the hardest part for me but when I started to do my work at a table or going on my phone downstairs, and only use my bed when it was time to sleep, my sleeping habits changed dramatically. I hope this helps!
Anonymous
You can fall back into a normal sleeping pattern if you choose to alter your sleep schedule to sleeping earlier or limit using certain devices or doing certain activities before bed time.
TheCup5893
I tried tiring myself all day once. I fell asleep as sooooooon as my head touched my pillow. I'd honestly recommend that. :)
Anonymous
prepare a simple ritual befor going to bed each night at the same hour. It could be raking a relaxin bath, drinking a cup of chamomile tea and cosing up with a book. After that, turn off the lights and try to sleep, when done repeatedly it helps the brain notice when youre ready to go to sleep and make the process easier.
Minnie19
I used to have a really messed up sleeping pattern. First thing you have to do is figure out what the cause of your problems are. Mine was that I spent too long on my phone before I went to bed (it was 4am before I knew it!). Target the issue and pull it out from the roots instead of slapping a band-aid on the problem. For me, I put my phone on the other side of my room before I went to sleep and resorted to reading paper books before bed as an alternative. Pretty much, find the issue and eliminate it. It's truly the only way to get a normal sleeping pattern again!