Why do I have trouble sleeping every night?

Melissa Hummelt, LMHC

I am passionate about empowering others, creating awareness around difficult situations, and ultimately supporting people in creating meaningful lives and relationships.

LapOfNature3
It can be due to lot of anxiety or over-worrying of things. The best and 100% guaranteed working technique on me is to close your eyes, lock into that position and think of sweet moments in your life. I don't know exactly the scientific reason for it, but thinking of sweet moments help you distract from anxiety and over-worrying things and helps you to get sleep early. Also you can try out chanting this sentence while closing your eyes, "I am sleeping". Seems weird, but honestly it sometimes works.
compassionsoul
Thinking too much makes you feel uncomfortable. so then you don't sleep well. My advice is that you should decrease amount of your thoughts as possible as you can.
HeleneNoel
Because of the use of electronic devices and the flashing led lights. Try using softwares like flu.x for IPhone's and iMac's to help you sleep better and remove all blinking lights, especially blue ones since they cause an imbalance in your system that causes you to stay awake.
Anonymous
Anxiety from the day or day to come. Uncomfortable sleeping conditions. This is the time your brain has to relax and truly reflect on important matters that it otherwise was not able to do during the day. Constant thoughts don't allow you to relax.
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2015 1:33pm
It’s not normal to feel sleepy during the day, to have problems getting to sleep at night, or to wake up feeling exhausted. But even if you’ve struggled with sleep problems for so long that it seems normal, you can still learn to sleep better. You can start by tracking your symptoms and sleep patterns, and then making healthy changes to your daytime habits and bedtime routine. If self-help doesn’t do the trick, you can turn to sleep specialists who are trained in sleep medicine. Together, you can identify the underlying causes of your sleeping problem and find ways to improve your sleep and quality of life.
Peacefulmeditation
Stress is the main cause of insomnia. Making a plan to go to sleep can help. First preparing your environment to sleep then finding ways to relax your mind.
KiForEverybody
Each time I feel anxious or not perceived from the people I love or there is to much pressure from outside (parents, job, advertise, doctors, ...) my heart keep me awake: with his irregular fast beat I can hardly breath regularly and feel a connection with my body.
vznxo
It may be possible you are experiencing Insomnia. I can imagine how troubling it could be to fall asleep, in your case.
specialSky
i have trouble sleeping at nights so i chose to come on here and help people, i stay up watching films i cant seem to sleep untill early hours
ReelListener1
The night sky is proof that it is for reflection and thought. Who says meditation is trouble before sleep?
Anonymous
There are many reasons people have trouble sleeping, such as: sleeping too much during the day, eating or on the computer too late, anxiety, or simply not tired.
Anonymous
There could be many reasons for this: 1. You are not providing your body with the right conditions for sleeping. Make sure the room you're in is as dark as possible and not too warm or cold to cause discomfort. 2. Or you're thinking too much. Avoid mentally stimulating activities for about an hour before sleeping (especially using electronic devices with screens because the light keeps you awake). Instead opt for relaxing activities such as yoga, light reading or watching ASMR videos. 3. Or you've consumed too much caffeine throughout the day or haven't waited at least an hour to sleep after eating/drinking something which provides you with a lot of energy. Just try to cut back a little. If none of this helps try reading the self-help guide that 7 cups provides about sleeping well, or consider seeking professional help. Good luck!
YourFriend98
August 22nd, 2015 4:04pm
Maybe it's insomnia and it is a persistent disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep or both, despite the opportunity for adequate sleep. With insomnia, you usually awaken feeling unrefreshed, which takes a toll on your ability to function during the day.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2015 9:42pm
Well when u have trouble sleep on a daily basis it can be caused by something troubling you. Something that is fresh in your mind or you feel bad about. This can also be something you are afraid to talk about so you think about it at night when your away from 'the world'
Anonymous
August 23rd, 2015 9:53am
Sounds like you could be going through a stressful time, or you might have insomnia, and need to be prescribed sleeping pills, please contact your local doctor.
HennaH
Sometimes its hard to go to sleep if you have a lot on your mind. Try to clear your head before sleeping or doing things such as drinking warm milk before bed, taking a shower or reading as these things will naturally help you ease into a sleepy state
Anonymous
Trouble sleeping every night can be caused by many factors such as worries, stress, overthinking and illness. If the trouble sleeping is due to stress, so it causes sleep interruption because of worries and overthinking related to family stress, work stress and so on. Besides that, physical pain or illness also can be one of the factors of sleep troubles.
catriana1
There can be several reasons for having trouble sleeping. I find that what keeps me awake is a busy mind. Sometimes I have too many thoughts going on from the day like what I need to get done, what has upset me, what I forgot to do, and so on. What I like to do on those nights is write down those things on a paper until I've run out of thoughts then try to rest again. I will even follow it up with thinking about who or what I am thankful for. That kind of praying (or meditating) tends to help put me to sleep.
Anonymous
It could be the heat? or your bed or the way you are laid down? Maybe try new positions or new pillows
greenberyl
It could be a number of reasons, ranging from anxiety to stress to insomnia. It might help going through the sleeping well guide we have here on 7 Cups of Tea. That said, you could try blocking out as much light and noise as possible from your room. They are known to interfere with sleeping. Also try not to use the computer or phone right before bed, as the blue light from the screen tricks your brain into thinking it's still daytime and therefore not time to sleep. Another thing might be that you're exercising right before bed, which pumps you up. Eating right before bed is also not recommended. Try a warm glass of milk, and maybe a lavender candle to calm you down and lull you into sleep.
mick9999
i had enough sleep in the noon and afternoon, i try to procrastinate my work. therefor i sleep to get rid of all the work i have to do.
Lotusflowers
I had trouble sleeping because I was feeling quite bad. I was overthinking everything, which meant I slept bad, woke up late, and wasn't tired enough in the evening to fall asleep again. That way you enter a circle; you go to bed later and later and you wake up later and later. Try to focus on what's making you having trouble; Are you not comfortable? Are you overthinking? Are you having nightmares? Try to look for the reason so you can do something about that.
FuzzyPaw
It can come from many things frankly, depending on your age it might be night apnea, which you should be checking against. Usually it is feeling more tired when you slept than when you were going to sleep. Otherwise, the mind is a very strange thing, and actually can make you stay awake for various reasons. Relaxation helps a lot in these cases.
Flowerthingy
Being too stressed, not keeping to your sleeping schedule, taking long naps, or being too stressed/ excited.
WesternCanada1
There are many possibilities. Other than organic reasons, a very common reason for insomnia or hardship to fall asleep is anxiety. Anxiety may present itself in different intensity levels, from anxiety that ranges from a specific situation (e.g.: SAT, GRE, graduation, retirement, wedding, divorce etc) to general anxiety disorders .
lachat
I have trouble sleeping every night because of emotional stress caused by our son's death in a road accident
Anonymous
If i have trouble sleeping the culprit is usually too much on my mind or not leaving enough time to relax before bed. Put aside a little bit of time to relax before bed or if worries are on your mind then talking them through can often help greatly!
Anonymous
Sleep is very important and when we don't get enough our lives surely can 'feel' the effects..There are many different possibilities as to why you are having trouble sleeping..Alot of times our days have been filled with so many memories and our minds dont want to stop 'thinking' about them...we wanna sleep..our mind doesn't..I like to listen to the sounds of nature to help me sleep~its easy in summer to do this~i open my window & the crickets help me to wind down...natures nightsong if you will..
Anonymous
Maybe something is on your mind, that is troubling you. Try to think about happy things and not about the problem.
AuntieLili
I have trouble if I haven't eaten enough, if I ate too much, or if I have too many thoughts. Also if I'm in physical or emotional pain, I can't sleep. When I drank wine too late in the day, it relaxed my body but my mind couldn't relax. Or maybe it was vice versa. Whatever the case, I no longer drink wine late. I prefer sleep. Oh and yesterday I had a shaved ice snow cone. I think the red dye which it has so much of, unsettled my system and I had a rough night sleep.