How do you keep a positive attitude while everyone else around you is complaining constantly?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

PeacefulThoughts28
The best way to stay positive while everyone around you is complaining is to be a listener. Instead of getting caught up in complaining, allow people to vent to you. This not only strengthens your relationship with others, but you also receive a sense of accomplishment for being there for someone else.
Anonymous
Haters gonna hate...but you don't have to be a hater. Don't be afraid to be happy and grateful for what you have. Don't get caught up in others' dramas.
Anonymous
I maintain a positive attitude by remembering my interest in lifelong learning. When a situation is difficult for me, it demonstrates where I have room to learn and grow. Even if others are complaining about our circumstances, I can still appreciate this opportunity and strive to learn something from each person I meet and challenge we face. And maybe I can even lighten the mood by focusing on positive solutions and showing others what we can accomplish with the cards we have been dealt.
Jadie
You can see it as a challenge! It's hard when people frown upon positivity, but ultimately it is healthier to be able to find the reasons to be grateful.
Anonymous
A way that I keep a positive attitude is that I focus on the good that is around me rather than focusing on other people's worries.
Jesse93
I try to keep a positive attitude by focusing on my goals and dreams and finding the determination to keep going for a better tomorrow!
Mel
December 23rd, 2014 1:08am
Well, first of all I would say, don't take it personally. Many times when people are dealing with difficulties in their lives, those around them become the targets of their unhealthy coping strategies. Also, remain grateful for what is going well, maybe doing a list of what's going good. Remember that self care is really important so even if those persons complaining are people you really care about it's okay to be alone sometimes!
Anonymous
Just focusing what you have to do and what s your work in there, and don t taking care of other s wrongs opinions
ShiningPanda13
A positive attitude is sometimes confused with cheerfulness, but it's more like hope than happiness. You can have your nose to the grindstone and believe you can make it through - this is positive. When you start believing what everyone else says, it is either negative or a wake-up call.
Clobeans
For a start its great that you are aware of their negativity. This can help you to focus on your own positivity!
Clouder
It's not much fun working in a negative environment! Here are some strategies which I've found helpful: Model having a positive attitude. Avoid interacting with negative people when possible. This might mean going for a walk during your breaks, or carefully choosing where you sit during meetings. Consider your interactions an opportunity to practice patience. Remember that your colleagues might have all sorts of reasons for being negative (or might even be unaware that they're doing it). Aim to be compassionate, for your sake and theirs. If it's appropriate, talk to someone in management about what could be done to improve the culture of your work place. Take care of yourself. If it's really bringing you down and you're able to do so, take some time off.
CharlieB84
Well... You can always offer reframes to those around you that are 'negative.' You can also establish a gratitude journaling practice. However, at the end of the day, I always encourage my family, friends, and clients to reduce their social contact with negative people overtime. Holding healthy boundaries is not always fun and easy, but it always pays off in the long run.
Blaine62
By not getting caught up in it. By staying physically and emotionally balanced. By talking to people who are more positive.
cleopetra
It's not healthy to be around people who always complain, it's worth observing what they are complaining about, is it always about their own stuff or is it politics? other people? I had a friend who complained about her stuff constantly and I found it helpful to bring up a positive conversation and ask for her opinion about it; I also tried to not let myself be absorbed in the sea of complaints by taking myself out of the conversation and try to see the humour in everyone's complaining by focusing on people watching, it could be quite fun... it's like watching a sitcom.
Always remind yourself to be positive and counter the complain if needed. If the complaining and negativity gets overwhelming then excuse yourself from the environment for a bit.
UtopianMidgardianSanctuary
To remain positive when people in your surroundings are complaining constantly by surrounding yourself with positive people or recognizing that they are just being negative. You can be the positive side to them.
Anonymous
I view situations like this as opportunities to become a catalyst to form a more positive environment. Positive attitudes, smiles, laughter and mentoring go a long way. They do say all of these things are contagious and I believe it!
Anonymous
Keep a paper or colorful chart hanging on the wall of your room, stating the things you feel grateful for, keep those things in mind and remind yourself of it once in a while, when you are aware of your blessings, then the negativity around you cannot affect your positive attitude,
Anonymous
This is a difficult one as you need to stay in you own head while seemingly acknowledging the other person's feelings. Everyone's insights and reactions are different due to their life experiences. We all have choices determined on our life decisions and the connections we have made.