Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

If you could give your past self one tip about handling anxiety, what would it be?

User Profile: sereneHeart651
sereneHeart651 February 27th, 2025

If you could give your past self one tip about handling anxiety, what would it be? Lets share and learn from each other :) 

21
User Profile: EnlightenedArtist
EnlightenedArtist February 27th, 2025

Hi @sereneHeart651 ✨

Probably: “This too shall pass…” together with: “Remember it is all part of the adventure” 😊✨

4 replies
User Profile: sereneHeart651
sereneHeart651 OP February 27th, 2025

That’s a great mindset, Elena! Over time, the feelings of anxiety will fade 🙂

1 reply
User Profile: EnlightenedArtist
EnlightenedArtist February 28th, 2025

Thank you @sereneHeart651 ✨🙏🏽✨

load more
User Profile: calmCoconut8559
calmCoconut8559 February 28th, 2025

i feel like it always come back

1 reply
User Profile: EnlightenedArtist
EnlightenedArtist March 2nd, 2025

It does come back @calmCoconut8559 ✨ 

Maybe stoping for a moment and asking yourself: why is it back? Where is this coming from? 

Could that help…? Sending you good energy ✨

load more
load more
User Profile: WellsFiction
WellsFiction February 27th, 2025

@sereneHeart651 Be kind to yourself :)

2 replies
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 February 27th, 2025

@WellsFiction yep! That's the one I would tell myself💗💗

User Profile: sereneHeart651
sereneHeart651 OP February 28th, 2025

That's a good point. Also, try speaking to yourself the way you would to a friend experiencing anxiety by offering reassurance, understanding, and kindness.

load more
User Profile: freshRabbit5716
freshRabbit5716 February 27th, 2025

@sereneHeart651

I would tell myself that time usually heals most wounds. Something might feel like a big deal now but a week later, it won't. Things always get better eventually.

User Profile: Shyness98
Shyness98 February 28th, 2025

@sereneHeart651

At 27 years old I would tell 14 year old me that it's not real and that it's a past experience that is trying to keep me safe. Let is subside and it won't swallow you whole. Sometimes resistance makes it greater. 

User Profile: Spiritriver
Spiritriver February 28th, 2025

@sereneHeart651

I think it's telling myself, "I've been here before (feeling this way), and I've survived.  This feeling sucks, but it'll pass. 

User Profile: sereneHeart651
sereneHeart651 OP February 28th, 2025

What techniques have you personally found effective for reducing anxiety? For example, meditation, breathing exercises, something else?

3 replies
User Profile: Spiritriver
Spiritriver March 1st, 2025

@sereneHeart651

Besides listed above?  Exercise, meditation, calming music, reading, spending time on 7cups, watching something silly on TV, I also have several hobbies.  Did you know that nutritional status affects stress management?  

2 replies
User Profile: sereneHeart651
sereneHeart651 OP March 1st, 2025

Interesting, I didn't know that! Which one of these do you find most helpful?




1 reply
User Profile: Spiritriver
Spiritriver March 1st, 2025

@sereneHeart651

It's a bit like putting a lot of ingredients into a pot and wondering which ingredient makes it taste best.  I think maybe exercise and meditation are at the top of the list most of the time.  For me, exercise is a form of meditation.  Both exercise and meditation tend to calm thoughts, which in turn, allows a person to become aware of deeper insights, which include what I call heart awareness, the place where self-compassion comes from.  

There's also the metaphoric traversing of a very high, narrow bridge.  If someone says, "don't look down," it's hard to resist doing just that.  In the case of anxiety, looking down comes in the form of "what ifs."  I work on maintaining the awareness of "yes, there's space below me, but I'm here now, and there are others around me I can possibly help or receive help from."  That facilitates a more comfortable shift from the "what ifs" and potential triggers towards a more fulfilling mental/emotional engagement.  

Truly, the "what ifs" can happen.  We can only minimize risk so much.  Yet, if the worst case scenario happens, is it better for it to occur while immobilized by worry or  would you rather be involved in some  process of fulfillment when it happens?  

Some of my rationale came from the cold war era, when tomorrow seemed like a maybe thing rather than something to be counted upon.   

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: nide12
nide12 March 3rd, 2025

Listening to gospel music gives me great comfort.

User Profile: modorange07
modorange07 March 4th, 2025

It's not your fault about what happened to you,and it's not your job to try and predict what could happen. Overthinking and going over scenarios of things that have less than a 1% chance of happening is not going to prepare you more for if it does happen. And if it ever does happen you will deal with it the best you know how to. These things could happen but they're not likely. And hating yourself bc you couldn't predict the future or didn't know better isn't going to prepare you for the future. What's important is here now.

User Profile: awesomeWatermelon5164
awesomeWatermelon5164 March 4th, 2025

not everything can be under your control, so chill out and let things happen the way they are gonna

User Profile: shyRaspberries161
shyRaspberries161 March 4th, 2025

Take deep breaths