Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with the Emotional Toll of Health Struggles

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 May 6th, 2025

Dealing with health issues is so much more than just managing physical symptoms. It brings a deep emotional struggle that many don’t see — fear, anxiety, pain, and the overwhelming uncertainty of what lies ahead. This phase can feel like a storm with no end, leaving you mentally and emotionally drained.

The constant stress can cause anxiety to build up, making even small tasks feel heavy. It’s easy to feel stuck in survival mode, where your thoughts are racing, and your body is exhausted. In these moments, we often lean on others emotionally — needing extra comfort, reassurance, or simply someone to remind us we’re not alone.

This emotional dependence isn’t weakness — it’s a natural response to vulnerability. But it can shift our behavior and affect our relationships. We might become more withdrawn, irritable, or clingy, not because we don’t care, but because we’re overwhelmed and just trying to cope.

If you’re going through this, please know your feelings are valid. It’s okay to need support. Healing takes time — physically and emotionally. Be gentle with yourself. 💙

Have you experienced emotional changes due to health struggles? How has it impacted your relationships or self-image?

50
User Profile: peachThinker662
peachThinker662 July 5th, 2025

Yes 😭

I go back to work in August and physical therapy starts on Monday.

My anxiety has KICKED in. I woke up with panic attacks right when I opened my eyes. Too much time in my own head, hyper vigilance….

Wanting it to just STOP but that only feeds it. Then I’m searching for reasoning, justification and how to make it go away 😭

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@peachThinker662

That sounds so overwhelming — I’m really sorry you’re dealing with this. Waking up with panic and getting stuck in your head is such a tough nervous-system response after prolonged stress. Nothing is wrong with you, and you’re not failing. Big transitions, even positive ones like PT and returning to work, can spike anxiety. Be gentle with yourself — this won’t last forever. 💙

load more
User Profile: peachThinker662
peachThinker662 July 5th, 2025

Yes 😭

I go back to work in August and physical therapy starts on Monday.

My anxiety has KICKED in. I woke up with panic attacks right when I opened my eyes. Too much time in my own head, hyper vigilance….

Wanting it to just STOP but that only feeds it. Then I’m searching for reasoning, justification and how to make it go away 😭

User Profile: DonyPony
DonyPony July 14th, 2025

@joyfulBeauty7715  You've artticulated the emotional burden of health struggles with such grace and beauty. It's clear you've delved into the often-unseen aspects that so many grappling with illness or chronic conditions silently carry each day. The profound exhaustion, the shifts in relationships, and the deep yearning for reasurance and understanding. You've captured these perfectly.

Your words not only validate these experiences but also gently grant permission for individuals to embrace their feelings without shame. That powerful reminder, "This emmotional dependence isn't weakness," is a message countless people truly need to hear.

I am incredibly proud of you for sharing this with our community. Your empathy and care wil undoubtedly resonate with so many. Thank you for being the kindhearted person you are; the world truly needs more individuals like you. Please remmember to take things one day at a time. You are doing amazing and I am so proud of you.💓

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@DonyPony

Thank you so much for this — your words truly mean a lot to me. I’m deeply grateful that the post resonated with you and that it helped put language to experiences that are often carried silently. Knowing it offered validation and comfort makes sharing it feel worthwhile. Your kindness, encouragement, and gentle reminder to take things one day at a time are deeply appreciated. Thank you for being such a compassionate presence here. 💓

load more
User Profile: Mishka1599
Mishka1599 July 15th, 2025

@joyfulBeauty7715

Have you experienced emotional changes due to health struggles? How has it impacted your relationships or self-image?

Not only do I have COVID, but I also have two autoimmune diseases, so I experience this daily. I try my best to be positive about it all, but there are days I am sad, angry, and frustrated that my body is not cooperating with me. On the days I feel my best (without COVID), I am grateful my body is working.

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@Mishka1599
I had. Health struggles changed me emotionally more than I expected. There were times I felt frustrated with my body and disappointed in myself for not being “stronger,” which affected how I showed up in relationships — sometimes pulling away, sometimes needing more reassurance than usual. It also impacted my self-image; I didn’t feel like myself for a long time. But over time, I’ve learned that listening to my body and allowing both gratitude and grief to coexist is part of healing. Your honesty and resilience truly resonate. 💙

Also, thank you for sharing this so openly. Living with autoimmune conditions — and now COVID on top of that — is an ongoing emotional weight, and it’s completely understandable to feel sad, angry, or frustrated when your body isn’t cooperating. The fact that you still allow space for gratitude on the better days shows so much resilience, not denial. Both can coexist — the grief and the gratitude. Your experience and honesty will help others feel less alone in theirs. 💙

load more
User Profile: GoBlue
GoBlue July 16th, 2025

My anxiety really kicks in when dealing with medical situations - my own or those I love/care about. I let negative, racing thought take over and it usually makes things much worse than they really are. I can't sleep, focus or be patient with those around me. All this worrying is exhausting.

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@GoBlue

That sounds incredibly exhausting, and you’re not alone in it. Medical situations can trigger so much fear and loss of control, and it makes sense that your thoughts race and your body stays on high alert. It doesn’t mean you’re overreacting — it means you care deeply. Thank you for sharing this so honestly; many people will see themselves in your words. 💙

load more
User Profile: Adrestia
Adrestia August 21st, 2025

@joyfulBeauty7715

Thank you for putting this in words, how our physical health may influence our mental health and how it may feel deliberating and isolating. It is incredibly brave to lean onto others for support during such a vulnerable time. For anyone going through this, you are not alone.

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@Adrestia

Thank you for this thoughtful reflection. You’re so right — the connection between physical and mental health can feel deeply isolating, and naming it helps lessen that loneliness. Leaning on others during such a vulnerable time truly takes courage. Your words will mean a lot to anyone who’s struggling right now. 💙

load more
User Profile: unassumingNorth6810
unassumingNorth6810 August 21st, 2025

It can be very hard. In the case of my chronic condition I have found befriending others who have my same illness has been helpful to cope. I feel much more understood, we can both share our experiences and relate because we go through many of the same issues and face the same fears and worries for the future.

It has also helped me because as my friends move forward in life and do more and more things in spite of their conditions it does inspire me to move forward as well.

A limiting condition makes it hard to keep up with other people’s energy and schedules, but with my little support group of ill friends we understand our struggles and help each other out. Regular people sometimes can’t understand and are not willing to adapt to our limitations.

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@unassumingNorth6810

Thank you for sharing this — it’s such an important reminder of how powerful shared understanding can be. Finding people who truly get your limitations, fears, and pace can make such a difference, especially when the outside world isn’t always able or willing to adapt. That sense of mutual support and inspiration you’ve built with your friends is really meaningful, and your insight will resonate deeply with others who feel unseen. 💙

load more
User Profile: yellowPapaya2289
yellowPapaya2289 August 22nd, 2025

Hi yes it's a constant struggle for me

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@yellowPapaya2289

I hear you. When it’s a constant struggle, it can feel exhausting and unfair, especially when others don’t see the effort it takes just to get through the day. You’re not alone in this, and it’s okay to acknowledge how hard it is. Thank you for sharing. 💙

load more
User Profile: juleswil
juleswil August 23rd, 2025

@joyfulBeauty7715 I read that to my boyfriend because i've been struggling to put how i feel into words. thank you so so so much for saying that. it was worded beautifully and it helped him understand me better :)

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@juleswil

That truly means so much to hear. I’m really glad it helped you express what you’ve been carrying and that it opened understanding between you and your boyfriend. Being able to put feelings into words can be such a relief. Thank you for sharing this — I’m really touched. 💙

load more
User Profile: McElysium
McElysium August 24th, 2025

It is very challenging to go through emotional turmoil: depression, despair, anxiety, and a sense of vulnerability, and going through health issues all at the same time. I have been through this in the past, and it always made me think that I am a liability to my family members. That was when I realized that I needed their support and love the most. And in that very moment, I knew that, having faced this issue, I can be supportive and varying to others going through similar ordeals. At the end of every tunnel is a ray of light, and we just need to hold someone's hand until we make it. We do not have to be alone.

User Profile: joyfulBeauty7715
joyfulBeauty7715 OP January 19th

@McElysium

Thank you for sharing this so openly. What you described — moving from feeling like a burden to recognizing the need for love and support — is such a powerful shift. Your ability to turn that pain into compassion for others is truly meaningful, and your reminder that we don’t have to walk through the tunnel alone will resonate deeply with many. 💙

load more