Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

breakdown from my slow eater brother

User Profile: decisiveSpruce7079
decisiveSpruce7079 September 1st

yeah, i'm still not done with this.

my brother is a slow SLOW eater. as in simple meals would take him 3 hrs. is anyone else dealing with this too right now?

it's not like he can't eat at a normal pace some times. just 3 days ago, he downed a bread in under 1 hr. but in some cases where he's slow, it'd take him 3 hrs.

i don't get it truly. i packed him ham and cheese sandwich for school since that's what he's been requesting all week. you know the ending? he took 1 bite of if at school and finished the rest at home in 3 hours.

he's saying that he can't control it whatever. and while i do not ignore his feelings, i can't help but genuinely wonder why??? and how???

it's just so frustrating because on "slow days", a simple bread would take him 3 hrs. but if it was on a "good day", it'd take him 45 mins. i just want to understand what goes on his head.

everyone around him eats fast, so his environment shouldn't have been the one affecting this?? even his friends questioned why he was this slow. i am also just super worried for tomorrow because his breakfast will be a burger sandwich. and since today didn't go well, yeah i'm expecting the worst. i just need calmness but i can't take this anymore.

14
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo September 1st

@decisiveSpruce7079

I responded to an earlier thread. I didn't see a reply though. Have you asked him, in a calm situation why it's taking him so long to eat. Is he having any symptoms?

Medical issues - physical or mental should be considered with the help of medical professionals. 

4 replies
User Profile: decisiveSpruce7079
decisiveSpruce7079 OP September 1st

he always replies that he doesn't know and can't control it. i don't even show my frustrations to him. i just can't help but think and wonder why.

3 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo September 1st

@decisiveSpruce7079 Maybe help with the words. Why can't he control it?

Is he physically feeling something? Fullness, difficulty swallowing, difficulty shewing, pain, nauseated, etc?

If it's more of a mental block what types of thoughts is he having when he can't eat at a typical speed?

2 replies
User Profile: decisiveSpruce7079
decisiveSpruce7079 OP September 2nd

this is noted. thank you for ur suggestions!! ❤️‍🩹

1 reply
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo September 2nd

@decisiveSpruce7079 Are your parents concerned?

I hope you can help your brother figure out how to at least express what he's experiencing so others can help him in the best way!

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: highlyintuition1
highlyintuition1 September 1st

How about YOU let him eat however he likes to eat! Seriously though as his SISTER you should let him be! How YOU thought he doesn’t like how long it takes YOU to fix his meals?

1 reply
User Profile: decisiveSpruce7079
decisiveSpruce7079 OP September 2nd

i do let him be !! :)) he eats whatever he wants and however long he wants to. it just bothers me because of course, his school has strict schedules. he can't keep on coming home with a sandwich that he's only taken 1 bite of, despite given a 2 hr break.

load more
User Profile: thoughtfulOcean3371
thoughtfulOcean3371 September 2nd

Maybe he has gastritisis, I also take long time.

User Profile: needhelpwithOCD
needhelpwithOCD September 13th

@decisiveSpruce7079 Dear, nobody can eat under scrunity. I have two brothers and I sometimes feel overprotective of them. I try to tend to them, but I personally realized my care was making me actually *burst* with anger. I seriously tried to take care of his mental wellbeing, tried to minimize his use of electronic devices. But all was vain. I ended up shouting at him and getting really tense throughout the day. I guess, I should find some middle ground. And seriously, let myself have a break.

1 reply
User Profile: needhelpwithOCD
needhelpwithOCD September 13th

@needhelpwithOCD If letting go does not help, and he is extremely underweight, your parents will presumably take him to a health check.

load more
User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 September 14th

@decisiveSpruce7079

does he have sensory issues? my son went through a phase where it took him a long time to eat. Tastes are very "loud" when you have sensory challenges. 😊

2 replies
User Profile: needhelpwithOCD
needhelpwithOCD September 14th

@TovaCares76 Could it be autism too? Some foods are very sesitive in autism, makes you feel eek-y especially the texture 🤔

1 reply
User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 September 14th

@needhelpwithOCD

that's my son. His autism prevents him from eating a lot of different foods. He really takes his time with some foods because the tastes are too loud. I understand that - I'm the same way with tomato sauce lol Textures, like you said, are a big thing too. 

load more
load more
User Profile: DancingDaoist
DancingDaoist September 14th

He made need to go to mental hospital. I was in one I talked to one Muslim about how homosexuality was not a crime in islam unlike in the old testament. He liked me talking at him whilst he ate. I hade a similar conversation in front of his brother who was tribal in his views but polite.

I thought it might be the case of another Muslim eventually found out he liked women. They put him on quiet high dose antipsychotics. He came alive the drugs caused a little shaking but he seemed happier even said he was. He even started teasing an older patient not maliciously but unhelpfully, probably a good sign.

The advice to ask is good. People can enter trance like states they are typically aware just in a dialled down way.