Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What does family mean to you?

User Profile: Hope
Hope May 2nd, 2023

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. Family is a word that can mean very different things to people. Some are filled with warmth when they hear family while for others it brings up painful feelings. Regardless of the kind of impact a family has on one, we can’t deny that the impact itself is huge whether positive or negative, and most of the time mixed.


Question for you!


What comes to mind when you hear the word family?

31
User Profile: maishabilkis
maishabilkis May 27th, 2023

@Hope somehow positive sometimes depressing!


User Profile: brightApple51
brightApple51 May 27th, 2023

@Hope prechosen

User Profile: Probius
Probius June 9th, 2023

@Hope I see a family as a group of people who fully support and unconditionally accept each other's true selves without judgment. This can be any group of people and doesn't necessarily have to be people who share DNA with each other.

User Profile: cafedaydreams
cafedaydreams June 19th, 2023

Family to me brings to mind fighting, anger, and childhood trauma.

User Profile: ImpudentIncognito
ImpudentIncognito June 20th, 2023

@Hope What comes to mind when you hear the word family?

When I think of family, I don't think it's necessarily someone who is related by blood.
I think family is someone who unconditionally loves you, supports you, and respects you.

That's how I feel towards my son and now towards the people who recently "adopted" me into their family who has a son the same age as my toddler son! They are amazing people and I am eternally grateful that I met them. I feel extremely happy and I'm set onto a better path because of these people. <3 They're business owners and teaching me how to budget, as I never learnt how with my dysfunctional/abusive family growing up... I ended up in a relationship with my (longterm) abusive NPD ex-fiancé/son's father as a result, but I'm FREE now!

I was "family-less" for a while and went no-contact with my NPD parents and "flying monkey"/FLEAS brothers...

However...I'm no longer on my own. :)

I'm slowly learning to set healthier boundaries, how to read red flags, and when something is a green flag. Sometimes, I mess up, but it is a learning experience. <3

User Profile: connieeyyyy
connieeyyyy June 21st, 2023

@Hope I'm not really close to my brother and father but I'm very close to my mom. When I met something bad I always say that to my mom and she is a really good listener to me. She always give me advice and it really works.

User Profile: VaryingCloud
VaryingCloud June 21st, 2023

@Hope

Strongest support system and source of love, comfort, reliability, happiness and power without whom I do not know who I would be. ❤️

User Profile: limeBanana1581
limeBanana1581 March 2nd, 2025

Family, to me, is all about love, support, and shared moments—both big and small. It’s the late-night talks, the inside jokes, and those little traditions that make life special. One thing I’ve come to appreciate is how much small details can bring people together. For example, something as simple as decorating for a birthday or celebrating milestones can create memories that last forever. I recently found a great place for balloons https://balloons.online/colors/matte-balloons/ . It’s funny how something so simple can make a gathering feel more meaningful. Family isn’t about perfection; it’s about creating moments that matter.