Exercise for your Wellbeing
Exercise is very important and most of it can be done at low cost or even free. It is common that exercise tends to be neglected when dealing with mental health. Aerobic exercises, like jogging, swimming, cycling, walking, gardening, and dancing, have been proven to reduce anxiety and depression. The improvement in mood from exercise is associated with an exercise-induced increase in blood circulation to the brain and by an influence on the glans that react to stress. This reaction can cause stress relief and lead to improving mood and motivation. Exercise can also be a great distraction, help with self-efficacy, and help with social interaction. Structured group programs for exercise can be effective for individuals who struggle with serious mental illness and lifestyle changes that focus on increasing moderate-intensity activity throughout the day are usually the most appropriate for most individuals.
Exercise improves mental health by leading to a reduction of anxiety, depression, and negative mood and by improving self-esteem and cognitive function. It can also help alleviate symptoms such as low self-esteem and social withdrawal. Exercise can be really important to those who struggle with schizophrenia because individuals with this disorder are vulnerable to obesity and are at a greater risk of weight gain due to antipsychotic treatment. This is just one example of how exercise can help a person with a specific mental health disorder. Evidence has shown that thirty minutes of exercise of moderate intensity, such as brisk walking for 3 days a week, is sufficient for these health benefits. The 30 minutes do not need to be continuous; three 10-minute walks are equal to 1 30-minute walk.
Regular exercise has great health benefits. Some health benefits are improved sleep, increased interest in sex, better endurance, stress relief, improvement in mood, increased energy and stamina, reduced tiredness that can increase mental alertness, weight reduction, reduced cholesterol, and improved cardiovascular fitness.
Discussion
What is your favorite way to exercise?
How can you make exercise more fun?
Reference
Sharma, A., Madaan, V., & Petty, F. D. (2006). Exercise for mental health. Primary care companion to the Journal of clinical psychiatry, 8(2), 106. https://doi.org/10.4088/pcc.v08n0208a
@HopieRemi
What is your favorite way to exercise?
my favourite way to exercise is usually power yoga and pilates because it doesn't make me feel too exhausted afterwards but rather leaves me feel energised.
How can you make exercise more fun?
I can make this more fun by trying out many different videos online and switching up the playlist in the back.
@AveryLove I love yoga! I love the idea of switching up the playlist. What is currently on your playlist?
@HopeRemi depends on the mood! For something relaxing I listen to binaural beats, but when I feel more energized I listen to a playlist from Spotify called „Pilates Lounge“!! :)
oops @HopieRemi
@HopieRemi
What is your favorite way to exercise?....ZUMBA
How can you make exercise more fun?....Doing it with Friends or Family
@HopieRemi
Resistance training has to be my favorite. I often do calisthenics or resistance band workouts at home.
Haven't done cardio in a while, but jogging is something I enjoy
Tags: @varyingCloud, @theriverissinging, @sparkygizmo
@DonaldDraper Can you share some of your favorite resistance band workouts? And thanks for tagging people!
@DonaldDraper
@HopieRemi
Hi Hopie! 😊❤️ Thank you for the amazing forum post! Great information and much value in it!
Hi Don! 😊❤️ *high fives* 😊 and thank you for the tag my friend!
Don, I love your concepts! Resistance training is soooooo very amazing as well as cardio! Total rock star move on the resistance bands! They are, in the grand scheme of things what I would refer to as "cheap and cheerful" lol! They are inexpensive, highly effective, great for small spaces and easily stored! A couple of "command hooks" on the inside of a closet door makes storage a snap!
Okay, moving forward I will answer the questions to the forum post also, even if they might sound a bit unconventional to others, but it seems to work for me. For me, it actually is in perfect alignment with what Don said. Essentially "I am my own home gym" 😊👍 My "home gym" is my body and using resistance and cardio daily.
1. What is your favorite way to exercise? I get my steps in, trust me! My exercise is a natural by product of living a life. I keep busy, I plan my work and work my plan. Many tasks in a day that include cooking, cleaning, laundry, lifting, etc. Up and down sets of stairs just to name a few.
2. How can you make exercise more fun? Making my exercise more fun is the same way I maximize it. Ohhhhhhhh, I make it count! wooooooo hoooo, lol!
I put in the air pods and blast the music! I see it as a highly effective motivator based on music choice. While I wouldn't want anyone to see (or hear) me doing it, it sure is fun doing so! I sing out loud, dance to the music while doing the chores, right in step with the beat of the music.
It's also fun for me to be in the right mindset, practice mindfulness while accomplishing what could be considered to be mundane tasks. I set goals and it's a great feeling to see my good work that has been accomplished. I got many things accomplished, it moved me forward in life, got my exercise in and enjoyed every minute of it. For me, it's a big "win" all the way around!
Here comes the cooking part of it, what a riot! When I cook, I even refer to it as "kitchen dancing". Once again, air pods in and music blasting. Gizzie makes that fun too! My latest, greatest is learning the dance steps to Charlie Puth "How Long". You'd have to do a youtube search for seeing dancers putting their bodies to motion. This one over here has those dance moves down and while cooking dinner! Sure is some fancy footwork! weeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeee
*high fives* 😊 and *hugs*❤️
@DonaldDraper
Wonderful post @HopieRemi❤️
Thank you for the tag Donniee.❤️ Nice routine! Working out at home always works for highly disciplined people! *sigh* :p
And oh! I’ve been actually escaping resistance training for quite some time :p! I try that but then automatically get pulled towards lol xD my favorite and that’s jogging/running.
I like it every time I manage to break my own record and also get a little disheartened when I get pulled back due to any reason :/. When the weather is good I prefer running outdoors which somehow feels more empowering!
To make it all more fun (I better call it more focused and peaceful :p) I begin as early as possible in the morning when there is absolutely no one at the gym! 👻
yoga and deep breathing has been helping me maintain a positive attitude
@Lenaye8 I love deep breathing! What kind of Yoga do you do?
Hey @HopieRemi! Love this post. One of the main reasons why I love exercising is because I know it'll help me feel positive and energetic even on days when I may have bad experiences or busy days.
What is your favorite way to exercise?
I lift weights consistently weekly but I think one of my favorite ways to exercise is sports with my friends. I really enjoy competition and athletics so doing aerobic cardio like basketball or swimming helps me enjoy exercise a lot.
How can you make exercise more fun?
I think part of my identity and life is around exercise! I really enjoy exercise sessions from lifting weights to doing cardio with my friends. I've noticed for both having a friend there to do exercise with you is one of the best ways to make the activity more enjoyable!
@sunnyWriting4806 Thank you! I am glad you love this post. I agree that exercise is great for those ugh days. Sports with friends sound like fun. I remember how much fun I used to have, playing ultimate frisbee with friends, even though I am not at all into sports. I agree with your realization about friends! I am glad that you are able to enjoy yourself with your exercises so much.