Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Struggling with Insomnia? Say hello & share your story here

User Profile: Laura
Laura April 16th, 2015

We want to get to know you and support you!

18
User Profile: yallahs
yallahs April 18th, 2015

Hi all!

I've battled depression and anxiety off and on for most of my life. I've dealt with bed wetting for most of my childhood, sometimes sleep paralysis, and most definitely insomnia. Over the past couple of months I've taken some steps to improve my sleep. Everything from sleep teas to yoga and over the counter sleep aids. Part of my insomnia is bc of depression and ptsd...I've found that some herbal supplements like Valerian & Skullcap help in combination with tea or sleep aid, but even then I still have some anxiety around getting to sleep and sometimes find myself staying up till 5am frustrated because I cannot sleep. I got into the routine of healthy sleep at one point for about a month, but was thrown off bc of jetlag, daylights savings, and family stress.At the moment I am unemployed (also uninsured) so my responsibilities are low at the moment. I'm not sure if the insomnia is partly because of my free and open schedule & not being tied down to responsibilities...can anyone relate?

User Profile: PetalsOnTheWind
PetalsOnTheWind April 19th, 2015

Struggled with insomnia for years. With my epilepsy I can't take any medication for it >.< :(

User Profile: wwwace
wwwace April 20th, 2015

Well I cant say I always sleep well. I live with 4 and sometimes 5 others and 3 barking dogs. I did not get to sleep till 5.00am this morning and everyone is now laughing and making noise. And I cant settle. But my great remidy milk hot or cold teaspoon of ginger 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg 2 teaspoons of honey. Take 20 miniuts or so before bed. But do watch nutmeg no more than 1/4 teaspoon.

User Profile: Psyentist
Psyentist April 20th, 2015

Hello, I also have terrible insomnia. I'm trying some sleep hygiene techniques to help me sleep better, it includes going to bed and waking up at the same time evey day. Switching off my computer and phone a half an hour before I go sleep to decrease mental stimulation, increasing my exercises, and having a relaxing bath just before going to bed. I'm also going to be trying out lavender oil tonight.

User Profile: Mike511
Mike511 April 21st, 2015

Although I've never been diagnosed, I feel like I have sleep phase disorder. A lot of people think they have insomnia when they cant fall asleep until 4 or 5 a.m. but they get a normal amount of sleep. This resembles symptoms of sleep phase disorder. People who have this have difficulty sleeping and waking during normal social hours. They get the normal amount of sleep and they function normally like everyone else during the day but they simply sleep and wake at later times. Its not a simple as just getting up early one day to restart your sleep cycle. I can force myself to wake up at 730am after only getting a few hours of sleep but I still cant fall asleep until an extremely late hour. That day is just wasted because im too tired to function. I would like to see this as a diagnosis in the next DSM. It is mentioned in Insomnia but it is not its own diagnosis.

1 reply
User Profile: optimisticPeace71
optimisticPeace71 April 22nd, 2015

Very interesting @mike511 . Thank you for sharing, I want to read more about it nowsmiley

load more
User Profile: loyalDog1682
loyalDog1682 April 22nd, 2015

I have severe anxiety. Just the thought of laying down for hours causes me to panic. I will sit on my bed for hours. I feel beyond tired but I just won't sleep. It gets a bit difficult. I have told my parents about this and they blame me for being on my phone all night. Which isn't the case. They won't take me seriously. It's all a bit frustrating but I can work through this

User Profile: cyanMelon5134
cyanMelon5134 April 22nd, 2015

I've Recently been diagnosed with severe depression and I am on anti depressants. I can't sleep at all. I haven't been able to sleep for more then 2 hours and it's effecting me emotionally and all because I am already going through a hard time

User Profile: Chiana
Chiana April 22nd, 2015

I use melatonin and it helps me to fall asleep... But actually getting in bed, stopping everything, laying down, turning the music on, and the lights off.... THAT is the hardest part... For some reason i just never want to GO to bed.... I get 5-6 hrs sleep .... 6 1/2on a good night.... Tonight more like 5 1/2at this rate...

1 reply
User Profile: Chiana
Chiana April 22nd, 2015

There was a time before i discovered melatonin,that i would lay for hours awake at night....

load more

Hi everyone, I've suffered with insomnia on and off for about 10 years and I'm currently going through an episode, I'm on my third day with less than 3 hours sleep. :/

User Profile: Forgiveness
Forgiveness May 19th, 2015

Maybe you should look into medical marijuana

2 replies

Haha, maybe. I'm willing to try anything at this point!! ;) it's so horrible to be so tired and yet wide awake.

1 reply
User Profile: Forgiveness
Forgiveness May 19th, 2015

I feel ya. I have mild to extreme insomnia every night. I either take melatonin or a few hits of some herb. Wish I was there to help u out. :) stay positive.

load more
load more