The Trap of "What If" (And Why the Past Couldn't Have Happened Any Other Way)
Hi everyone! We have all been caught in the mental loop of a past mistake, a missed opportunity, or a project that went sideways. The brain immediately starts bargaining with reality: "If I had just spoken up earlier..." or "If I had only double-checked that file, this wouldn't have happened."
But there is a difficult, surprisingly stabilizing truth about the past: it was never optional.
Consider this quote from Marcus Aurelius:
- “Whatever happens to you has been waiting to happen since the beginning of time. The twining strands of fate linked your existence and the occurrence together from the start.”
A similar idea is captured by Alberto Barajas in How to Stop Worrying and Start Living:
- “It is so for it can’t be otherwise.”
What both thinkers point to is the structural reality of cause and effect. Once something has happened, it could not have unfolded in any other way given the exact chain of circumstances, decisions, knowledge, and variables that led up to it.
The Illusion of the Alternate Timeline
A lot of our mental suffering comes from a psychological glitch called hindsight bias. We look back at a situation holding the knowledge we gained after the event, and we use that future knowledge to judge our past selves. We tell ourselves we should have known better, creating the illusion that a different outcome was actually on the table.
But the past is not a set of open possibilities. It is a fixed sequence that has already played out. You made the decision based on the exact mental state, context, and information available at that exact second.
This isn't just an abstract philosophical concept. It aligns directly with the Islamic understanding of Qadr (Divine decree). Whatever has occurred was decreed in accordance with divine wisdom.
There is a well-known Prophetic tradition that states:
“Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you, and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by.”
Reference: Jami’ at-Tirmidhi Hadith 2516 (part of a longer hadith)
Across different traditions and languages, the underlying principle is identical: reality unfolds as it is meant to within its system. Accepting this is not a sign of cold detachment, but a quiet recognition of reality.
Acceptance is Not Passivity: The "Next Play" Mentality
It is easy to misread this as fatalism, the idea that if the past was fixed, our actions do not matter. But accepting that the past couldn't have happened otherwise is actually the ultimate tool for high performance.
In sports psychology, legendary basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski drilled a two-word phrase into his players after every mistake: "Next play."
When an athlete turns the ball over, that event instantly becomes fixed history. If they spend three seconds holding their head in frustration, they fail to get back on defense, and the opponent scores an easy basket.
That is the Double Penalty:
- The First Penalty: The original mistake (which unfolded according to its causes).
- The Second Penalty: The extra damage caused by being mentally absent for the next moment because you were busy mourning the past.
When you run a mental simulation of "If only I had...", you are split-tasking. You are spending a chunk of your current cognitive bandwidth on an outcome that no longer exists, leaving you with less energy to navigate what is right in front of you.
Releasing the past is not about throwing your hands up in surrender. It is about recovering 100% of your bandwidth for the present moment.
Putting It Into Action: Moving From "Rewriting" to "Executing"
Instead of getting stuck in the trap of rewriting what has already happened, try applying a simple two-question filter the next time a project hits a snag or a mistake is made:
1. "What are the facts of the current board?" Strip away the judgment, guilt, and alternate timelines. State only what is physically true right now.
Not: "I ruined the client meeting because I did not prepare enough."
Instead: "The meeting did not go well, the client expressed concerns about the timeline, and the revised deadline is Friday."
2. "Given where the board stands, what is the next play?" The past is closed. The current board is all you have. What is the single most effective action required right now to move forward?
By separating the cause (which is done) from the response (which is open), you stop wasting energy on blame and instantly pivot back into agency.
Over to You
We often think of resilience as a massive, heroic trait. But real resilience is usually much quieter. It is simply the ability to drop the dead weight of "what should have been" and respond cleanly to "what is."
- Where in your current work or life are you paying a "Second Penalty" by dwelling on an outcome that is already fixed?
- What would it look like to call "Next Play" on that situation today?
Let's discuss in the comments below.
@Hope
This was very informative. Thank you for sharing!
We definitely need to keep focus or refocus regularly to make sure we stay in the present instead of looking back.
I often tell members to focus on what is going on in their situation and let them find the desired solution to their problem.
I'm glad you reminded us to remain in the present as much as possible and avoid the quick sand of second guessing all the time.
Much appreciated! 👍🌲
@Hope thank you so much for writing this! I've been seeing Islamic posts everywhere about the "if only I had" but this really puts it into perspective.
I needed this, thank you so much for sharing ❤️
@Hope
What a brilliantly written and informed post 🩷

@Hope
I would answer to this but I m sick and dont have the capacity to do so.
Great post though🤍
@cheerfulKiwi1776
I hope you get well soon 💐
@Diinnaa
Thanks🫂
Actually feeling lots better than before🤍
I have noticed that I dwelling on other’s reactions, that it’s non of my business how they react, and I can’t change them and I shouldn’t in the first place.
Next play is : I’m only responsible for my actions and I have to do what makes me comfortable and satisfied by focusing on how I should response not focusing on how others respond
@Diinnaa
Great thinking🤍
Wishing the best your way.🍃
I appreciate your reply and thank you for your kind words 💕💐
@Hope
Ouch ouch ouch ouch.
- The extra damage caused by being mentally absent for the next moment because you were busy mourning the past.
When you run a mental simulation of "If only I had...", you are split-tasking. You are spending a chunk of your current cognitive bandwidth on an outcome that no longer exists, leaving you with less energy to navigate what is right in front of you.
If only I didn't do this! If only I knew better!
Lol
I'm going to counter you with sometimes it is OK to take the time to process. Sometimes there are feelings that need to be heard. Then it is time for
Next play.
Thanks for the thought.
@Hope
I am so glad you posted this, since funny enough I think you explained how I feel like I get mentally stuck. Especially when I succumb to my perfectionist recordings that were imprinted in my head from childhood. An annoying yet still ongoing thought I constantly battle with whenever I feel I made a mistake. Which is for the most part alot if your supposedly perfect as a human being. Reality is, there no such thing as a perfect human being, duh.... Even though I consciously know this, my mind seems to struggle shutting that recording off. Kinda embarrassing at the age I am I think. But your explanation at least gives me the words I needed to explain my since of being stuck in my head for some reason. At least now I feel like I have some where to start looking for how to get past this type of thinking and hopefully start loosening myself from it and find out what mental tools I need to navigate myself out of it, moving forward from this moment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject.