News on eating habits and Mental health
I always remember my grandma’s words “Don’t eat your supper late, it’s better to eat before 6 pm”. I was young at that time and loved to have a plate of spaghetti or something else and of course some dessert at night. At that time I also had difficulties falling asleep though and thinking back now I believe a lot had to do with the time I ate and also what I ate.
Today I want to share this excerpt with you which I found very interesting:
“Investigators have designed a study that simulated night work and then tested the effects of daytime and night time eating versus daytime eating only. The team found that, among participants in the daytime and night time eating group, depression-like mood levels increased by 26 per cent and anxiety-like mood levels by 16 per cent.”
If you’re interested in reading more you can find the whole article here https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/news/study-reveals-that-daytime-eating-may-benefit-mental-health/videoshow/94277412.cms
Of course, when working, this can be difficult for some people but there are some ways one can choose to avoid eating too late. Here are a few suggestions:
Bringing healthy meals and snacks from home
Eat your main meal before going to work to avoid eating large meals at home and at work which could result in weight gain
Have a light snack before bedtime so you don’t stay awake because you’re hungry
Avoid high fat or very spicy food to prevent heartburn
Cut down on caffeine because it can intervene with sleep
What do you think is the best time to eat for you and are you eating at that time currently?
How are you sleeping at the moment?
If you find it difficult to sleep but eat late, would you try to eat earlier for a while and see how it impacts your sleep?
If you have been extremely tired for 2 weeks or more, please reach out for guided help to check if there are any underlying causes. Various mental illnesses such as depression can cause fatigue.
7cups has online, certified therapists with a paid option. For more information click on link https://www.7cups.com/online-therapy/?ob=1
Kindly click here and fill out this short form to add or remove your names from the tag list and you will start getting announcements of any new threads and posts you are subscribed to in Therapy Subcom.
That way you can participate in all the latest developments of this community. Please allow 4-7 days for your request to be processed.
Taglist updated 9-15-22
@adventureawaits777 @adventorousBranch3786 @allnaturalWillow7138 @ambitiousGlobe3422 @amiablePeace77 @Ashy123 @augustine1304 BeamsOfHope00 @Beepyy @blissedNblessed @charmaeausty creativeCar5713 @dlynn88911221 Desmynn6789 @dysfunctionjunction1224 @EllyMerelyn @enthusiasticAcai2032 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @exuberantStrawberries9544 @FaithMagic @FlowerEV777 @FracturedPurple @fruityPond7887 @geribear @Ghasaq997 @GoldenNest2727 @helgafy @imaginativepear6493 @Jordan1872 @kindcircle3085 @LisaMeighanMBPsS @meaningfulSilence @MoonMomm @Mscooper2789 @mytwistedsoul @nessa104 @orangypie @patientwater @PinkTriangle133 @politeGrapefruit179 @redirecting @Scarletpear1945 @ShapeshiftSystem @SilverSeastar @slothgurl17 @soulsings @SpongeBob2021 @stephbrent @SugareeIsMe091121 @thoughtsbubbleexpress @toughLand5970 @warmheart0890 @WentToBruv @waves @WhenTheTimeComes @WorriedMagpie
@amiablePeace77
My mom says the same thing!
First question: I usually eat dinner around 5 p.m.
Second Question: Lately my sleeping pattern hasn’t been the best, but that’s due to adjusting to school and work schedules.
Thanks for the interesting insight!💛💫
@innateJoy9602 I find my activities dictate my schedule
@amiablePeace77
This is a good topic right now because I am struggling at the moment. I leave in the morning to work and only come back at 7pm and the whole day I don’t really have a break. (Two jobs) If I have few minutes break I try to eat some snacks But when I get home I am extremly hungry. Plus I need time to eat because I eat very slowly and like to take my time. So most of the days I eat very late and I am guilty about it. Weekend is ok and Wednesday I usually have a shorter day. I also don’t have enough time to cook or buy food. Anyways I will figure out someting. Its really not healthy to eat after 6pm.
@kala I hear you that sounds challenging.
I used to take high protein snacks. For me that was sauteed and seasoned extra firm tofu cooking until most of the water was out of it. The soy does not spoil easy and once the water is cooked out I can put it in a plastic bag and carry with me for a quick snack.
Cashews were another favorite snack but there is lots of chewing with nuts.
I also like boiled eggs but those require refrigeration and a drink to help wash them down.
Hope you find a way that works for you.
@kala
It's hard to work at 2 jobs without real breaks. Something I find that keeps me full are burgers or samosa. Every 10 or 14 days I prepare a healthy dough (whole wheat) roll it out cut it into squares and fill them it with any kind of lentil, chick pea or other bean filling. Then I bake it (not fry). It works quite well. Soja burgers mixed with vegetable paste can be quite filling too. Hope this helps.
@amiablePeace77
OMG it sounds so yummy 😋😋 I wish a I can try them.
i have major food issues. i’m lactose and gluten intolerant with ore diabetes. my life is tough. i cannot eat anything. but i am grateful i can afford alternatives. it still hurts seeing my friends eat and be normal yet still are skinny with amazing bodies and personalities yet i’m the one working out everyday and on a strict diet. having a mom as a dietitian doesn’t help. i know she wants the best for me but the way she does it hurts. i also have sever depression and anxiety and anger issues and trust issues so keeping up with my day to day life, as hard as it already, is frkn insane.
im just lost, any insights?
@anipserc6002
It understand it can be frustrating having to deal with so many challenges, hugs (if accepted) Dealing with depression an anxiety is rough.
Nice that you are grateful for being able to afford alternative foods, gluten free food can be quite expensive and many people simply can't afford it! Have you ever talked to your mum about how she is hurting you? She might not realize it and talking in a calm and non offensive way about it could help to make her understand how you feel and how much pressure you experience by trying to do everything possible and also what she might suggest.
This is a link to our Healthy Living Support https://www.7cups.com/home/healthyliving/ . Some people find that mindfulness helps them cope with depression, anxiety and anger. You will find the mindfulness video library here: https://www.7cups.com/forum/MindfulnessSupportCommunity_106/ResourceLibrary_1062/
Discussion for 50+ and mindfulness are here
https://www.7cups.com/forum/50OverCommunity_193/TeamToolsandTeamUpdates_1705/50plusDiscussionsScheduleandTopics_207920/
I hope this helps and don't forget you can always connect with a listener for a 1:1 chat to talk about what's going on in your life.