Can chronic pain cause depression/Anxiety?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

ElephantTiger1
Yes, chronic pain can cause depression and anxiety. I am really sorry if this has happened to you, but I know that you are brave and strong enough to get through it. I struggle with all three of these and my advice would be to talk to someone about it and remember that you are never alone. Good luck and remember there are always people that love and care about you, that are willing to help in anyone that they can.
Anonymous
Yes. Living with chronic pain can cause depression and anxiety because dealing with that pain every day and trying to accomplish normal things is tougher and that can cause depression/anxiety.
wonderfullLake74
Of course! It is very difficult and can be quite depressing to live with chronic pain. I like to say to people to take it one day at a time, find whatever you can do to distract yourself from the pain, and find something to do that makes you feel better about yourself and your life,,, as well as continue the quest of finding healing,
DrumDude
It sure can. The body and mind are closely aligned. When our body is hurting, our mental/emotional health is likely to suffer.
Havingfuninthesnow
Good question - according to my MD's and therapist the answer is yes. Do you have MD's/Quarterback on your side to help you?
PainedAndConfused
August 22nd, 2019 6:47pm
Unfortunately the answer is yes it most definitely can. I have depression because of the chronic pain as the pain limits what I can do and my mood takes a massive hit because of it. You end up feeling a bit useless because you cannot do that same things that you used to do and things are harder to do so that can trigger the depression. My mood was never this bad before the pain got bad. Make sure you speak to you doctor about it as they can help you or give you the information of support groups or treatments available to you in your area