How to accept that I am deaf/ have a hearing loss?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

powerfulmindofawoman
You won’t get used to living with hearing loss overnight It’s normal to cycle through many different feelings, from denial to sadness or even guilt.When you learn more about hearing loss, you can ease your anxiety and start to feel better. Plus, there are resources that can make your life easier Get the help of a licensed audiologist or ear, nose, and throat doctor. They can help you learn about deafness and or hearing loss. My dad is has always been deaf and he's a beautiful person. I'm sure you are too so keep your head up and challenge your disability by accepting it. :)
RainValentine
You can never really accept it. I am mute and I thought that I was okay with it. That it didn't matter. And then one day someone was talking to me and they yelled at me because I wasn't replying they asked me if I was deaf. I shook my head and they said that I was basically just retarded. And that's when I realized that I actually do care deep down. You can go everyday not thinking about it. Pretending that you're not. And you'll be happy but the moment somebody else find out and they say something that hurt you. That's the moment when you realize that you can never accept the you are what you are. What would you can do is be happy about who you are and what you have.
MarkishaNanceLCSW
June 22nd, 2016 2:17am
This is an excellent question and I don't think there is any correct way to answer it. I think when any life altering event, challenge or issue that changes our life happens we learn as we go. We fall back on the strengths (tools) we have gained during our life's journey and sometimes discover that we need more tools. I think the key is to be honest with your feelings. Know that they will fluctuate in intensity and frequency. There may be times when you feel you have accepted it and times when you might say why me. Know that all of your feelings are normal because it is what you feel. The key thing is not to get stuck in what you feel. If you ever feel that your emotions or feelings won't let you move forward towards acceptance or what ever your goal is, than seek support. Also, when you are ready, get around others that have experienced what you are. There is value in the journey's of others (wisdom, love, support understanding, resources etc.) And finally you are an important, special and unique person. You have things that only you can bring to world. Please do not ever forget this.
Dawn04
Looking into a support group might be a good first step, along with allowing yourself to think about all the good stuff in your life instead of focusing on the negatives.
ChainsGoneSetFree
The loss of one of the senses is tough to handle. If you are willing to share I'd like to hear how you lost your hearing.
negiducky
It's probably best to dig deeper and accept specific losses that might come as a result of your hearing loss. It might be harsh when you start to list down things that might become difficult due to your disability, but this allows you generate acceptance at a much more deeper level. Mostly, it will remove any sense of uncertainty or fear you might encounter now or in the future.
ThatsTheSpiritBMTH
Accepting yourself is a pretty hard thing to do. My mom is loosing her hearing and I'm teaching her sign language. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I'm watching my mom feel just like you. I'm a hearing person though. What you need to do is maybe get more involved with the deaf community and talk about it. Ask their opinions and listen to their stories. Maybe a little influence will help!
kindSoul10
the world is diverse and beeing deaf or hard hearing is part of our diversity. when we accept what we are we can look forward to our future. we can make use of our abilities in our disability. learning sign language is one way to communicate. using hearing aids is also an option. try to connect with persons that have a similar disability and look how they developed their abilities. don't pity yourself, we all have our weaknesses. connect with people that are positive and don't let others bring you down. don't let them convince you that you can't do something. be creative and do things you like to do. adapt the way you want to achieve your goals. and always remember. you are an expert on your own. people who lack the experience you have may fear your condition/your disability. do not mind them. you know better. you can show them that beeing deaf or hard hearing is not the end. if they stare at you or pity you, just smile back at them and show them there is nothing to be afraid of.
GillianfromScotland
Living with a permanent physical change can be one of the most internally frustrating experiences. You can feel alone, cut off, depressed, and so much more. Slowly learning to live and experience life in this new way is a challenge that can be explored in order to accept and move on. Take time to mourn what you have lost, and explore new ways to move forward with life.
JaelMT
Don't become isolated. Learn sign language (if possible), find resources and/or groups for the Deaf, learn about the different assistive devices there are for Deaf folks, etc. It's okay to grieve your hearing loss, as well. Write about it, talk to friends, see a therapist. And remember, if you're in school or work, you are entitled to reasonable accommodations through the Americans With Disabilities Act (if you're American, of course. I'm not sure about other countries).
sweetseashell50
February 1st, 2018 9:23pm
I'm personally Deaf myself. Being deaf doesn't define you...it only makes you more unique! If you want to talk, please message me, and we can chat! Embrace who you are because you are BEAUTIFUL, and don't let someone destroy or take that away from you
overtherainbow17
It took me a little bit. I was very scared, and frustrated at first; I took this news as just another thing to get bullied about at school. I knew I was having trouble hearing, and wanted to hear better. But I was embarrassed. So I had to accept fact over personal preference. That's how I did it. I weighed out the pros and cons with my audiologist and parents. And I wound up getting hearing aids. I actually liked them! At first, I hated them. But as people got used to it, and so did I, it went smooth. So long story short, I accepted I had hearing loss by just gathering myself over time, and tried out the hearing aids.
Crystalline2Heavens
There are many people who have experienced hearing loss. You are not alone. You can join forums or groups with people that have hearing loss. This will allow you to learn how to cope with your own hearing loss. They will provide with a support system. Most important things to remember you are not on your own. There are many tools and resources to help you.
coffeeprincess
June 22nd, 2016 2:33am
Reach out to people in the deaf community and listen to the stories of other deaf/hard-of-hearing individuals. In a world where hearing people are the majority, it can be hard to find representation and thus hard to find the inspiration to love yourself. Use online and community resources to find people who have experienced what you are experiencing. Be open to new ideas and world perspectives.
RJordan
Losing any sense or physical ability often makes us feel like we don't have control of our own body. It makes it harder for us to accept, because we would then feel helpless and hopeless. However, I've found that focusing on improving our quality of life and those things that we CAN do, will help greatly with combatting helplessness, and thus lead to better acceptance. The mindset turns from 'I'm deaf/hard of hearing, I can't..." to "I'm deaf/hard of hearing, but I can..."
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 3:23am
Ahh yes. If it helps you can start writing about what this is like and share your stories with friends/family and find support groups . Get connecting eh
nourish
Being Deaf / having a hearing disability is only a physical disability and not a mental disorder. Ignoring someone with a physical disability is same as open discrimination. What if that person is better than us in any other aspect of life. Take up Sir Stephen Hawking, he is almost completely unable to move but is the best Physicist we have. Without going that far up, everyone is special in something or the other
FinallyFiguringOutLife
Accept who you are as a wonderfully beautiful creature God made. Sign language is a nice tool for deaf individuals too. I believe there is also a relatively new device called a cochlear implant to aid the hearing impaired to actually hear. Amazing stuff. Regardless I hope you can accept you for YOU. :)
Snowzee9
The best way to accept a deaf person is to use body language sign language the best way that you know how.
CountingMySpoons
Find a support group! Find people that have the same in common. Talk with someone. You'll get there.
sonum91
You will lose some interest things in life, but you will appreciate other points. I think losing vision is even worst. The worst thing about a disability is to get used to it. After that, it doesn't bother so much, because you have got used to your limits. The problem is that, usually, perception goes to the limitations, instead of what you can still do. So, I would focus on things I like doing and I can do with my new condition.
Youareberrybeautiful
It will be tough but there are ways to accept yourself. As you lose your hearing try to find a passion that doesn't have to do with sound like writing. Start early learning sign language while you can still hear it may be easier. Console in those around you don't be afraid to ask for help, it's ok to be embarrassed upset and depressed but just know you're not alone.
bubblyRiver41
Im 46 and have moderate hearing loss. It was only discovered when I was referred to Audiology for help with tinnitus. I accepted it well as I still have hearIng and I have a lot to be thankful. Also you can get small hearing aids that are very small and work well
TheSpoonTheory724
You can try things like group support, group chats, or even talking to a therapist that may help you work through things and help you accept your new normal.
Anonymous
Well, not everybody is perfect. Everyone has a disability. I know its really hard but you will accept it.
AnimalLover90
One thing you can do is learn American Sign Language. That helps make communication easier (it's more visual). It's best if you learn with someone, but it's ok to learn alone too. Also, look for events in your area and connect with other deaf and hard of hearing people. That way you feel less alone and have people that you can relate to.
silverForest81
Coming to terms to an illness, injury, or disability that is out of your control can be nerve breaking. Having served in the military, unfortunately, I have experienced significant hearing loss. Eventually getting treatment for severe hearing loss can be costly, including numerous doctor's visits and obtaining hearing aids. Accepting your condition is the first step to recovery. Adjustment to civilian life because of your injury can be a process, but with professional help you can find ways for others to help you. Confine in a friend and don't ever give up just because you have a disability.
kindRabbit11
Beethovan was deaf, too! We now live in an age where hearing aids are very affordable and many are so discreet than they're barely visible if at all. So, problem fixed, no?
Heavenshowers
by having self confidence and understanding that it is okay. it is not the end of the world and no one is perfect. we could have hearing problems vision problems speaking problems it's okay we might lose something but gain another thing. you will still enjoy things just like anyone and have amazing opportunities to do things you love and there is a solution for everything. just dont give up.
StarfireWarrior
The world is a big place with many different ways to "see" what it has to offer. Being deaf will definitely come with challenges, including getting used to it, but it will also give you a new outlook on life that not everyone will have experienced. A new way to interpret things. There are also many people who have hearing loss or are deaf. Find some people to relate to whether there is a support group near you or connecting with people online. Life hits people in different ways. Take it day by day. You'll slowly find ways to work things out and accept what life has thrown at you. :)