How to accept that I am deaf/ have a hearing loss?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

Anonymous
It is part of who you are as a person and there's nothing we can do to change the person we are. We are all special and unique in our own way, and even though we feel different at times, everyone has their flaws and their strengths. Even if you are deaf, it doesn't mean that your whole world and life stops. There are still so many opportunities to take, new doors to open, and new ways to make the most in life. You could still strive for your goals, work for your dreams, and be the person you are. You are amazing just the way you are and people will appreciate and love you for who you are truthfully.
Anonymous
I would first, take a deep breath. News like this is always difficult to receive, especially because it affects your day to day life significantly. I would remind myself that you're still worthy to be loved and this doesn't change a thing about you. Yes it will be difficult adjusting at first, let alone accepting the fact. But try to keep an open mind. As devastating as this can be, there's a whole community and language willing to welcome you with open arms. Being hard of hearing or deaf doesn't make you any less human, or any less worthy. Is it going to difficult? Yes. But that doesn't mean you can't do it, that doesn't mean you're going through this alone, that especially doesn't mean you're less valid or worthy as being seen as equal.
Anonymous
January 1st, 2021 8:14pm
Any change mentally or physically can be difficult to accept. Maybe try embracing the idea of this heightening your other senses to compensate the loss. It's also a chance to learn a new language, by learning to sign. I am sure it is scary and feels a little like you might be starting over, but it can also open the door for new possibilities. You also might look into support groups for people having similar feelings on their own recent hearing loss. I find the bigger my support system is, the easier big changes are for me. You are strong and you've got this. Just another hurdle on the track we call life that I know you can clear.
Anonymous
It can be difficult to come to terms with changes in our lives that impact us in ways we were not expecting. People tend to deal with changes like that in different ways. Some people find acceptance through educating themselves on the nature of their new condition and by arming themselves with tools or medical devices they can utilize to improve their quality of life to once more find balance and normalcy akin to what they had before. Some people find it is easier to gain acceptance through letting go of the life they had before and fully committing to the new way of life, experiencing it as it is, without trying to resist the changes or hardships that come with it (and in some cases, even embracing those changes by embracing a new identity or new community of people). Still others find that they can come to acceptance through self reflection and thorough assessment of their feelings, such as through counseling or journaling. Others come to acceptance through meditation or prayer or reaching out to their Higher Power. Ultimately, only you can decide which route is best for you based on where you are at in your journey, because only you know the type of acceptance that you are looking for. What you are going through is an experience. What you do with that experience is up to you. If you are looking for the kind of acceptance that transforms your life and puts you in contact with new experiences and new kinds of people, then seeking out those experiences and fellowship of those people might help you come to that acceptance. If you feel like you want faith-inspired acceptance, than invoking your faith through prayer or meditation might help you reach your acceptance. Perhaps thinking of how you want to feel when you have reached acceptance will give you ideas and support in how to find that acceptance.