How can I support someone experiencing domestic violence ?

Tracy-Kate Teleke, M.A., LMFT

I assist adults and couples in CA experiencing relationship challenges and interpersonal struggles including anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other life challenges.

annieluvsflowers
It is important to validate the emotions someone who is experiencing domestic violence may feel. A victim of domestic violence may feel an array of emotions from fear, shame, anger, and many more. Their emotions towards their abuser may confuse them, especially if it is a close friend or family member. It is important to let the victim know that they are not at fault and it is okay to hold conflicting emotions. I would ask them if there is anyone close to them they would feel comfortable speaking to in order to escape a dangerous situation. If they don’t have anyone that can help directly, then i would make sure they understand that I am here to support them. I would suggest looking into 7 cups therapy if they feel like they need professional help. If not, I would offer my compassionate support for them and check in with them on a regular basis.
Graceleap
Be supportive, and careful not to place any shame or blame on them. It is important to not try to provide any advice or solutions. Be gentle in the conversation, not forcing them to provide details. It is important to let them know that you believe what they are telling you, and that they don't deserve it, as well as validating any feelings they may have. Understand that they may want to stay with the abuser because of many reasons, such as them loving them, low self confidence, belief in change etc. Do not offer advice or personal opinions on this, and be supportive of their decisions while also making sure they are aware of relevant help lines.