What is the best way to overcome anger and pain from traumatic experiences?

Brenda Munroe, LCSW

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), I have worked with individuals of all ages. My work with clients is supportive, interactive and nonjudgmental.

Anonymous
Find new activities that you enjoy to distract yourself from overthinking about traumatic experiences.
Dailydaydreama
Mindfulness exercises , self love and new memories 😊 traumatic experiences impact everyone different ... Finding safe tools that work best for you is a great start ! Experts can support and help you find tools so you can understand your triggers and ways to manage them !
peacefulMoment24
This is something i know and hope to help those in need. In my case i used my anger and pain to my own advantage. The way i saw it is that the traumatic experience was going to sink me, so instead i used it to work hard and help those around me.
LiftYourBurdens1984
For me, getting over anxiety and severe panic attacks was all about positive thinking, staying sober, exercise and most importantly relaxation and positive meditations and reflections
Anonymous
November 2nd, 2015 7:49am
I've had a traumatic experience in my life before, and I'm not going to classify what your situation is, but I'm sure coping mechanism's are similar. I spent more time around my family and friends, because being with them somehow distracted my mind from it, even if I wasn't talking to them, just being in the same room really helped for me. I went to see a psychiatrist, too, I went there every week for 1-2 hours and I talked about EVERYTHING to get it off my chest, y'know? there are many ways to cope with traumatic experiences, and the most important thing is to NEVER take it out on yourself, okay? we love you :)
heartfulmusings89
As someone who is currently trying to heal from a traumatic experience, my answer may be a tad biased, but here goes: Having a good support system helps a lot. This could be a therapist (if you choose therapy), or it could be a really good friend or just someone you trust. It's very hard to overcome these things on our own, so this is important. Also, personally for me, writing helps. I like to write poetry to express negative feelings in a positive way. Anyone is welcome to try that, too, but any other activity you enjoy is valid, too. Lastly, diaphragmatic breathing, meditation, and grounding techniques (this can be something like naming 5 things you see) are helpful.