How do I help my family understand that this is not choice for me?

Jill Kapil, PsyD

I have experience working in University College counseling centers, and am passionate about working with young adults. My work with clients is collaborative and supportive.

Breathedani
Time. When my family first found out I was dating someone of the same gender it was really hard for them. They thought it was a phase and that I was choosing to be gay. It honestly sounds silly to say cause it was so untrue. With me and my family, time helped as they grew to understand me. Take care!
Anonymous
I recommend sitting them down and explaining to them how you feel about the situation and why you feel that way. Give them reasons and explanations and help them understand from your point of view.
kindheartedSky78
It sounds to me that you and your family have different ideas about the situation and it is not easy to change someone's view on something when they have believed it for a long time. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree but if your family are open minded and they want to learn then you have a good opportunity to educate them on how it is you feel.
Hui05
This is a tricky one. If you've tried talking to them and it doesn't work, then perhaps you can convince them through actions, evidences, etc. I would suggest you speak to a listener to gain more perspectives on the situation :)
Allen39
First, try simply explaining it. Use proof and evidence, such as the fact that conversion therapy has an approximate 18% success rate- and half of those people are bisexual to begin with! If they're religious, tell them God made you this way and that he'll love you no matter what, and isn't that the most important thing? Always play by their side, talking about things you know they'll agree with. And if they don't, well, there may be nothing you can do other than wait for them to either come around or simply not bring up the subject with them. It's sad, but remember, you always have other people who can help you.
LilyFlowers
We can't do anything to make people understand if they are already against understanding. If they are open, just sit down and talk to them honestly.
Anonymous
well with alot of patiente like ALOT of it, it takes time to people understand your own ways but if they r whilling they will get u or at least respect it even tough they dont entirely "approve"
Anonymous
(assuming this is about lgbt issues) show them articles and scientific evidence that has proven that it's not a choice, people can argue with a lot of things but they find it very hard to argue with science.