Why is it so hard to figure out who I am, and who I want to be?

Brandi Berger, MA,LPC, LCAS-A, NCC

I provide a warm, genuine and supportive environment for individuals. I enjoy helping individuals help discover more about him/her selves to improve quality of life.

99PETelepahants
Most of us live in a very noisy world, filled with wants, desires, fears, bright lights, sounds, and emotions. It can make figuring out anything of real meaning quite the challenge. A lot of time we're pulled around by other people’s expectations of us, what we think they want us to be, or what we would like to be based on who we want them to think we are. Or we're just simply doing things to escape some kind of fear we've been harbouring in the depths of our unconscious. It’s difficult because at the root of it, we know we’re just putting on a mask, playing a game of ego, and that our deepest truest selves are buried beneath all these ideas, concepts and personas. Finding true purpose often takes a lot of filtering, experiencing of other things first, exploring, listening and patience, and to know yourself on the subtlest levels. Then when things are quiet enough, purpose may just well find you. It can be difficult to know what any of our purposes here are, but moment to moment, it can be whatever it needs to be. Each moment is carrying a message, and an opportunity for self reflection, every time you notice it and respond with awareness, the deeper it will take you to your truth, if you miss it, not to worry, it will keep repeating itself until you catch it. There’s not really a right or wrong way to do it and there’s no real endgame, but by embracing each experience we get to uncover another piece of the puzzle, which can be a purpose in itself. Good questions to aid this kind of discovery might be things like, if I were completely free of every concern, time and money or other people’s opinions were no longer an issue, what would I wake up and feel good about spending my time doing?
EmpathyAeauria
It takes time to figure out these things? Once you do, there will be an answer waiting for you just around the corner, and you will be a most happy person.
Anonymous
February 2nd, 2016 3:49am
people have told u what u should be all ur life, u just need to be ur true self, actually, only when u connect with ur true self, u will be get unstuck
If it were easy it would have been boring. Imagine not being able to have a challenge in figuring it out. Take your time and enjoy the challenge.
OakShield15215
It takes time. Don't stress. If you have only recently started looking into who you are it will take a while. Even after you are sure about who you are something or someone will come along and you may find out something else about you.
JenniferEckles
Everybody goes through phases of not knowing who they are or who they want to be; be it in the context of what career path they want, what gender they prefer (whether exclusively one or both), and a whole variety of other things. So you are certainly not alone in struggling to figure out who you are or who you want to be. Most people who know the answer to those questions have made mistakes, had heartbreaks and failures in their lives, and tried things that weren't for them. No one is born knowing who they are or who they want to be, and most people take a long time and a windy journey to find out.
madisonhope
No matter what age, gender, ethnicity, shape, or size you are.. Life is hard. Everything can be confusing and scary and you have no idea how you want to go about the rest of your life. It is a totally normal thing, for most people, and I can promise you that it will pass. You just have to trust yourself to make the right decisions and do whats best for you!
Lushnature
I think it is that hard because as I was about to figure out who I am, I recognized that I do not fit into heteronormativity. That meant I had to figure out my truly self without having these models from heteronormativity.
curiosityofnature
Because otherwise life would be pretty boring ;) Seriously, it's an ongoing challenge, especially when you're not like most people. But it's also a rewarding journey. Good luck, and do ask for help with figuring things out if you need some!
Anonymous
It's hard simply because you don't have experience in certain matters. Like, you think you like girls, but you never had a romantic relationship with one.
r1pley
It's a difficult process to go through. Everyone pressures you to figure it out as quickly as you can but let me tell you, go at any pace you want. This is something for you to decide. It's hard because this isn't something that happens overnight. It's a gradual process and I'm sure.. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out who you are and who you want to to be. Heck, I'm still trying to figure that out. We'll all get there one day.
Maybe because our identity can be very complex and not easy to define. Don't worry, what you're going through is normal. Take your time, think about yourself, your desires, aspirations, needs. Try to imagine what could make you happy if there was no one to judge or nothing to stop you. That is who you are and what you want. And remember that figuring out who you are is not a matter of labeling yourself, it's about understanding yourself and accepting that we all are also quite complex, don't be scared if some things about yourself seem contradictory: we are human. All humans are complicated but potentially beautiful.
Anonymous
Because since you are born you are being told how to be, how to act, how to react, Then they send you to school and you are being told how to think, what to think and what to aspire to be. The Result: You end up forgetting who you were in the first place, you lose free-thinking, you lose individualism.
Anonymous
Because it is a secret and a puzzle, when you know that answer of your question, you are gonna change the world.