Will my friends push me away if I tell them my sexual orientation?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Manifestation
If your friends are true friends for who you are they will accept you no matter what sexual orientation you have.
Larelya
That depends strongly on your friends. I don't think true friends would ever push you away because telling them what sex you prefer doesn't change anything. If they really care about you as a person they'll support you and nothing will change. Give them time but don't waste your time trying to convince them that it's normal and nothing they have to 'accept' or 'agree' with you. It should be like telling somebody you like playing tennis.
Dejanae1
Some will and some will not. If they do push you away, then they are not friend friends. They are not people you need in your life
Mac21
If they are really you're friends then no they wont. Everyone takes it a bit differently but at the end of the day they should be around to support you and have your back.
beautifulParadise07
Friends are real if they don't care about what or who you are. For sure they will accept you if they truly care for you. :) Do not be afraid to be left by your so-called frineds if you told them the truth. It is just an evidence that those friends you thought your friends, will not maybe real. :)
rubberquack
No. They should support you in every way possible like a friend should.no one should have to keep being gay a secret.
Tantry
True friends are those who accept you the way you are. You will get to know who your true friends are when you tell them your sexual orientation, so that you can only hold on to the true ones.
WhatTheCupcake2
Your true friends won't the people whose opinions matter will accept you for who you are no matter what. As for those who would push you away.. they have no right to call themselves your friend.
YourBestFriendRyan - Expert in LGBTQ+
If they do, they're not real friends. My friends didn't push me away when they learned mine, and I don't know anyone who's lost friends from coming out.
Anonymous
As everyone before me has said, true friends will love you no matter what your sexual orientation. That being said, you never know what people's reactions will be, and that is hard. You might find that some friends don't act in the most supportive way, but that reflects on them and not on you. And I am sure you will have friends who will stand by you. No matter what happens there are people out there who support you no matter what. Those are the people to focus on because they are the real friends.
Blackjack191
December 22nd, 2015 5:35pm
It depends on what they think on said orientation. If they're homophobic, they must be problematic to start with.
EmeraldMagic
My personal experience is that I remained friends with the majority of them. Some were a little uncomfortable in the first place, but after a little time and chats we became even closer than before. I could be more authentic to myself and it showed in my behaviour, which became more confident and my friends felt attracted to that confidence.
LuminousMoonlight82
Your true friends will accept you for who you are. the fakes ones will not. If they can't accept you for who you are, they were never your friends.
strawberryblonde4315
True friends won't care and just accept you for you.
Anonymous
Friends are there to support you. Even if their beliefs aren't the same as your own. Depending on the level of your friendship, they shouldn't. However if they do, it's okay. Everyone isn't taught to love unconditionally and support regardless.
ladycat946
If their friendships are real, they wont push you away. You are more than just someone who is defined by his sexual orientation ;)
compassionateTurtle16
If they are good, accepting friends, they won't. If they're fake friends who aren't willing to accept you for who you are and decide to leave you, you deserve better than them anyway.
Kaysha
True friends would never judge you for your sexual orientation, if they did push you away then you know you need to find new friends- those who love you for you.
xopaoxoo
If your friends love you for who you are and not any of your preferences, then no, they will not. You shouldn't be ashamed to tell anyone about your sexual orientation because, well, it's yours. Try to explain calmly, and most likely they'll accept you no matter what.
hyacinthw
It depends on whether not they are good friends. When I came out as bisexual, most of my friends were supportive and accepted me. But there were one or two that reacted negatively, and I soon learned that they were people that I did not want to have in my life. If your friends are good, decent people, they will not push you away.
musicalStar33
May 23rd, 2017 1:01am
I don't know your friends, but what I do know is that if they do, they weren't your friends to begin with. Friends accept each other for who they are, and if they don't accept you, thy aren't worth your prescious time.
amuresia
True friends are accepting and supportive! Friends, unlike family, are people that we choose to have in our lives. We need to surround ourselves with positive and like minded people.
roy13
My friends never pushed me away when I came out to them, rather each and everyone replied, "you are saying this now?? come on, we knew about you!" or something similar. I always feel if they are your "FRIENDS" then they will accept you no matter what and if they don't trust me dearest they are NOT your friends.
sophieishere
No. Not your true friends anyway. Your friends are there to love you and accept you for who you are as a person. If they were true friends who loved you for YOU then your sexual orientation is not something that will push them away. Remember, you don't need anyone in your life who doesn't love you for the person you are inside and out.
enbyemu
To be honest, some might. Though telling your friends will definitely reveal who will love and support you no matter what and who has conditions for your friendship. Being honest will reveal the truth in everyone.
sweetNarwhal82
Your best friends will not care what sexual orientation you are. They choose to be around you because of who you are not for who you date. Also, the greatest of friends will be able to listen to you unbiasly.
BrooklynM
Most friends will not push you away at all. More and more people are becoming accepting of the LGBTQ+ community, so there's a good chance that your friends are one of those. Your friends will be happy that you told them the truth, as well as just simply having another thing to talk about. Don't get the wrong idea in your head, coming out does not mean that you'll be isolated for being different. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. :)
Anonymous
I cant not say that they will push you away, but I can tell you that if they are true friends then they will be by your side to help you grow
KaoriShimizu
This is a question every non heterosexual person asks themselves. The answer is, that it depends on what sort of friends you have and how their minds were conditioned to think. In many cases people may withdraw from you because of some sort of religious conviction or because they have been taught by society that it's not normal or appropriate. But many people also can see past religious and societal biases and will have an open mind! Maybe you'll lose friends, but that's alright because you'll gain new and better ones. If they push you away, that's because they just aren't meant to be in your life. You should aim to surround yourself with affirming individuals.