Why do I have trouble sleeping before my period?

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

SpiritedMeteor
I become EXTREMELY emotional before my period. I never used to as a teenager, but I've found that adulthood has brought a new level of hormones to my life. I now have a stash of Dove chocolates and calming teas constantly on hand, just in case.
Anonymous
Probably because your body temperature is slightly elevated and you're not comfortable enough to sleep. This can also cause you to toss and turn, keeping you awake. You could try wearing lighter clothing, less covering, cooling the room down a little, (not too much) and drinking more water before going to bed. Hydration helps to regulate body temperature, so it might help.
Anonymous
There could be multiple factors involved... cramps, bloating, headaches, heavy bleeding, and pain can lead to sleep problems. The core temperature rises almost half a degree after ovulation. People begin to feel sleepy when their temperature drops and are most likely to sleep when their temperature is at its lowest – so the second half of the menstrual cycle could be a time of more disturbed sleep.Women with severe PMS feel sleepier during the day and have slower reaction times when premenstrual than at other times. PMS, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), dysmenorrhea, and polycystic ovary syndrome cause sleep problems of their own. Women with strong cramps take longer to fall asleep and then sleep poorly. Hormonal changes in estrogen and progesterone that intervene in well-being can modify sleep, as well as digestive upsets can also disrupt the sleep cycle.
lachat
I wish I could answer this question about troubled sleep during one's period. God did not grant me this privilege. He thought I was not man enough to be a woman.
Em
"Rising and falling levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone, which regulate the menstrual cycle, can affect a woman's ability to fall and stay asleep -- as well as influence the quality of her sleep." (http://www.webmd.com/women/pms/features/why-pms-gives-you-insomnia)
dannyforalways
When your estrogen rises as you go through the time before your period, the hormones can impact your energy levels in a big way. Focus on things you love to relax yourself, and don't worry about your problems right now. It's okay that it's not the time for working them out. Channel your thoughts, make sure you're not hungry (have a nibble on something light), and create a soothing, darkened environment for yourself. Pampering yourself is so worth it. Rest well soon.
Anonymous
I have trouble sleeping before my period for many reasons, but mainly because my hormones are out of control during this time. It's normal for your sleep to thrown out of rhythm when you have your period. Hang in there and try taking some over the counter medicine to help sleep better! Also, know that you're not alone. : )
Anonymous
I have PMS symptoms. Part of it is having trouble falling asleep. It seems like a natural consequence.
madelyngayle
From a personal experience, I usually get very hot from my hormones acting up (PMS) and I also cramp up somewhat badly. I usually put a cold rag on my forehead and lay as still as I can.
Anonymous
You may have PMS. PMS can affect you physically, socially, emotionally, and even spiritually. It can range from very mild to very severe. Some people claim that healthy diets and exercise can help diminish the symptoms.
Anonymous
Because your hormones are switching roles. Your body reacts by changing cycles periodically and by doing this your body needs to adjust the amount of melatonine in your brain.
Anonymous
Because it can be itchy and uncomfortable since your body is changing.. It's normal for females. :)
sweetSoul15
Due to ammounted pressure of hormonal flooding through your system , makes women feel irritable. Some women feel more needy , more or less communicative.
Anonymous
Getting a poor night's sleep means more than just a bad day ahead. The quality of your sleep can harm your health long-term; sleep deprivation is linked to obesity and high blood pressure, poor concentration, and lack of energy for exercising, healthy eating, and leisure activities.
wonderfulParadise33
Insomnia is a popular pre-menstrual symptom that affects a lot of women. Usually it is just hormone changes that cause you to feel more alert at night. However, if this is something that is interrupting with your ability to focus during the day, then seeking professional medical advice would be wise.
helpfulPeace78
Periods influence the hormones in a woman's body, making all of these changes in how the body functions. You may also notice before your period you eat more or less, it is the same thing!
Aliro
September 2nd, 2015 3:47am
Anticipation, its like having to worry about the bills at the end of the month or Sunday night worrying about work the next day. It can be overwhelming especially if we know it is coming and we have to deal with it.
Anonymous
I think the hormones racing around might keep you up at night. I often have trouble sleep when on my period and feel very upset. A warm bath or shower, coupled with your favorite snack can help you go to sleep.
PillowWhispers
Because of PMS. The estrogen and progesterone levels drop. this is when many women have trouble sleeping.
Anonymous
According to WebMD, day one of menstruation to ovulation (follicular stage) estrogen builds up until ovulation, causing increase in energy and sleep disturbances.
Peacefulmeditation
Changes in your hormones can cause flushing of the face and hot flashes. Also a low grade fever is common during this time and can cause some myalgia.
Anonymous
probably becouse you have camps,or backache or headache. Try to get something yummy and hot like hot chocolate and keep your feet warm
Anonymous
Because when you are on your period you are in pain and clammy and it's distracting. Normally laying on my front helps.
Anonymous
The most likely reason for sleep troubles before menstruation is the amount of hormones being processed in the body. The process can sometimes make for more active brain activity at times when the brain is supposed to slow, and also produces energy which can appear at odd times.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2015 8:46pm
Hormones can cause a number of symptoms to occur, as a part of PMS hormones may cause temporary insomnia. Stress is often a culprit and with some aromatherapy can help ease you into a restful nights sleep!
Anonymous
Often, the period before one's period can be physically unpleasant as well. Perhaps, for you, you're finding yourself being kept up at night due to uncomfortable feelings like bloating or nausea.
mommabear29
I think it might have to do with all emotions that come with pms. It makes my emotions that more intense and my thoughts scatter in all directions it seems. I often am very moody before my period. Any day to day stresses seem more dramatic. This causes me to take longer to fall asleep.
Duende
Each phase of the menstrual cycle has different effects on sleep. The rising and falling levels of hormones (estrogen and progesterone) can affect the ability to fall and stay asleep. This is the connection between PMS and insomnia.
dbettis1
I think that could be because of all the changes going on within your body. It kinda throws everything off and your sleep could be one of the things affected.
ExhaustedVoid101
I've found it has to do with my mood. Since periods cause huge hormonal changes, there are also huge mood swings, so you're mind can be all over the place as you are trying to sleep, or you can extra irritable and uncomfortable. Making sure you are super comfy or doing something to relax you can help.