Why do I struggle with falling asleep when I am tired all day?

Jamie Rautenberg, LCSW

I'm passionate about helping clients understand emotional experiences & mental chatter do not define who they are. I'm here to guide them through the fog back to themselves.

Kaylei72
You may struggle if you have a lot of things on your mind. If you try to relax and clear your mind then maybe you could close your eyes and fall asleep.
Anonymous
Maybe you have so many ideas that pop up in your head when you want to sleep and don't let you sleep.
supportiveCat
Possibly because your brain is still awake and maybe because you are thinking too much about your day!
lauralouxo
Its all to do with our minds. Its hard to relax and switch off when our minds are racing. Have a cup of tea, stick some relaxing music on and breathe.
Anonymous
This can be due to a number of reasons, very commonly emotional upsets (sadness, or anxiety) but a lot of the time, it may just be due to an irregular sleep schedule. Set a specific time to go to bed, even if you don't fall asleep, and wake up at a specific time, even if you feel exhausted in the morning. If you're continuing a strict routine and it's still not working, then you may be experiencing symptoms of insomnia, in which case you can contact a doctor for help!
freshPillow501
In my experience, tiredness is not always tired to physical exhaustion. Emotional exhaustion can also cause someone to be very tired.
olimaar
You might be too deep into thought. Try to read a book or watch a movie before bed. It helps to think about what you just watched or read.
JoanMcWench721
It may have to do with a worried mind. That seems to be the case when the body is physically tired but the body takes over.
EthanSerenity
Sometimes, when it comes time for sleep, our minds begin racing about thoughts and worries which prevent us from falling asleep. Ideally, practicing some relaxation techniques can help calm down the body and brain and allow for sleep. Relaxing all muscles, inhaling deep slow breaths through nostrils, holding the breath for 2 seconds and slowly exhaling through the mouth and repeating this process 2-3 times should help. Focus all your attention on the sound of your breath. As thoughts enter your mind, neither fight them nor engage them - just notice them and tell yourself "I'll get back to that thought in the morning" and let it pass like a cloud. When all else fails, and you have been wide awake in bed for over 30 min, slowly get up and walk to a couch or comfy chair and keep the lights dim and read a book until you feel drowsy and return to bed.
Anonymous
Sometimes diet and exercise can play a large factor in this. Try walking in the evening after dinner time and avoid caffeine after 5pm to help the body unwind. Next, try some breathing and mediation exercises provided on 7 cups. They really work! They're simple, short and can help you to de-stress.
kindSmiles70
I usually struggle with falling asleep after being tired all day because my mind is racing, thinking, worrying or I haven't bothered to give myself a few minutes to wind down. Maybe read for a few minutes, do a word puzzle, a warm bath or a warm drink.
Arkelight
The time between attempting to go to sleep and actually falling asleep is probably the most significant period of time for a person to actually THINK about their lives. This can cause a great deal of anxiety and inevitably lead to a difficulty in sleeping. If you don't want to challenge your anxiety, find a distraction to help you sleep.