Everytime i go get my eyebrows waxed i realize i flinch everytime the lady touches my face while my eyes are closed why?

Australia

Raifiel Cyril, Masters in Applied Psychology

Everyone needs a little support from time to time to take the next step. I am here to listen and help you achieve what your heart desires.

Mila76
It's a very normal reaction we get. It can either be because your brain responds with flinches/goosebumps/or a tingly feeling when something ''unfamiliar'' touches you. Or, it can be because your body is already familiar with that painful feeling of wax being ripped off your skin. So, you're almost ''mentally preparing yourself'' right before it happens.
Sintix
It's a natural human instinct to be scared of unknown human's touch. It's definitely normal. Just breathe, and watch the person until they put the wax paper on. It's easier to be aware when they're going to touch you.
midin
It happens to all of us. As our eyes are closed we wonder whats happening. Chances are one would flinch even if the eyes are open. Its just a reflex mechanism. More often involuntary. With some concentration and focus you could avoid. Except for when lets say you touch your face thats when you trust yourself and aren't worried about whats going to happen next or what your hand is going to do. Happens to me when I am at the saloon or at the clinic. One of the good anxieties that the body has. Its a healthy response since you need to be alert.
Talk to an expert therapist about social anxiety
We are off to great start!
Reviewed Jun 18, 2021