Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #23: Imagine encountering someone who is visibly upset or distressed. How can you offer support and comfort to them in a meaningful way?

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver November 6th, 2023

Hello all! 

A couple of weeks ago we discussed- What quality you see in others that you'd like to inherit. If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt is: Imagine encountering someone who is visibly upset or distressed. How can you offer support and comfort to them in a meaningful way?

Today I want us to reflect upon how we can practice compassion and support. So if you are in a situation like the above, what steps will you take to show your compassion and support the person in distress. Please share and discuss here among us.

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.  



hug-cuddle.gif

54
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver the best way is to just sit with them. Listen to them and offer encouraging words and empathy. Just let them know you are here for them, and they are cared about. Also give them a giant tiny hug ❤❤

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 Thank you for sharing those caring words, Whisper. It is compassionate to sit with others in their time of need, listen without judgment, and let them know we care. Just being present with open ears and heart makes such a difference.


load more
User Profile: Irongod1
Irongod1 November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

When someone appears upset, approach them with empathy and a calm demeanor. Listen actively to their feelings, offer a comforting presence, and let them know their emotions are valid. Ask if they need anything specific and respect their boundaries. If their distress is severe or prolonged, gently suggest seeking professional help. Follow up later to offer ongoing support and care. 💜

User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@Irongod1 well said ❤ have I told you lately how sweet you are? Well your sweeter than theese🍭🍫🎂🍦🍨🍩🍿🍪. Yep I might have to eat you ❤😁😋

User Profile: Irongod1
Irongod1 November 6th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11

Awww, stop it, you're making me blush... or maybe that's just the diabetes.

Tbh if sweets were people, you'd definitely be the sweetest one I know!

load more
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@Irongod1 Thank you for sharing your thoughts on providing empathy and support to others, Iron. It sounds like being there for people in their times of distress is important to you. I am glad you approach others with care, respect and compassion.


load more
User Profile: ImpudentIncognito
ImpudentIncognito November 6th, 2023

Imagine encountering someone who is visibly upset or distressed. How can you offer support and comfort to them in a meaningful way?

I guess it depends on the person.

If it's a stranger, I'll ask if they are OK and see if they need anything. If it's a close friend, I would offer comfort and support, and also try to take their mind off their worries by taking them out. If it's my significant other, then I'd probably comfort them depending on their preference. Whether that's giving supporting words, advice, or just holding them while they vent, cry or even in silence to let them know I'm here for them.

User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@ImpudentIncognito you are awsome ❤❤ I hope you know that. Gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

User Profile: ImpudentIncognito
ImpudentIncognito November 7th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 Aww, you're so sweet Tiny. 🌻💖 I hope you are doing OK! 🫂🌟

load more
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@ImpudentIncognito It sounds like you care deeply about supporting those close to you during difficult times. You have a natural ability to sense what type of comfort each person needs in that moment. Your willingness to be whatever type of support is needed, through words, actions or peaceful presence, shows your caring nature. 


User Profile: ImpudentIncognito
ImpudentIncognito November 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver I appreciate your supportive and thoughtful words. I'm currently trying to figure out how to best support my significant other(we only started datingfor about 3-4 months). He hasn't been doing too good (mentally) and he lives 2hrs away... He requested that I don't visit due to his housing situation with his abusers(parents). I let him know my place is always open if he needs anything or even if it's to just chat.


He's also well-off and not really big on gifts, so I've been taking him out instead to places he hasn't gone to in my city, doing different activities. He told me I don't need to do anything really... His love language appears to be Quality Time? Which is the same as mine, however... I like to show my love by getting gifts and doing something for someone (ex. Help them with errands/chores, make something handmade, etc).


I've been worried about him lately... He won't move out for a few reasons, which is understandable. One reason is that he's worried about his nephew since his sister is abusive and on drugs while basically abandoning her son to their parents... My S.O. is there to make sure he's good. It's just complicated...

Sorry lol, I kind of wanted to vent a bit. I've been worried about him and ever since his estranged sister moved back in, my S.O. has been less communicative and down...

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 8th, 2023

@ImpudentIncognito I can hear how much care and concern you have for your significant other during this difficult time. It is  very understandable to feel worried when someone we care for is struggling with their mental health. Your acts of quality time and support show your love and desire to lift his spirits. 


load more
load more
load more
User Profile: GwydionRowan
GwydionRowan November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver I guess I would first take (if I know them) take them to a quite place away from people and wait a bit for them to calm down if they’re crying or smth then I’ll ask what up set them reassuring them that what their feeling is valid then if it’s a situation that can be fix or improved I’ll go though option that could help if they don’t give them any thoughts and shots them all down I’ll stop asking and sit and wait for when their ready to do something 

User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@GwydionRowan hugs you ❤❤

User Profile: GwydionRowan
GwydionRowan November 6th, 2023

I quite like this post as it helps get me thinking about what would I do in case but also gives other people who don’t know what to do inspiration because this can be quite a distressing and stressful experience to be in 

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@GwydionRowan Thank you for sharing how you support others during difficult times, Rowan. It sounds like you make caring for their feelings your top priority by listening without judgment and allowing space to process emotions. Your care and willingness to understand from their perspective show great empathy. 


load more
User Profile: Invisibility101
Invisibility101 November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I'm more of the creative type when it comes to dealing with emotions but I'm 100% logical in every other way. So I'm the type to buy you chocolate or your favorite snack along with a cute handwritten note that says something witty/funny/silly to break the monotony of your bad day. Then after that I would just listen. A lot of times people don't want advise or chastisment, they just want to be heard and have their feelings validated. I just try to create a safe space where you are heard, seen and loved without judgement. 

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@Invisibility101 Creating a safe space where people feel heard, seen and loved without judgement is very important to you. I am glad you bring kindness and care to others during their difficult times. What kinds of feelings do you find people most want validated in those moments?


load more
User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 November 6th, 2023

sometimes simply sitting down next to them, offering your company and the space to talk or to simply be with you is everything.

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@Heather225 Thank you for sharing that thoughtful perspective, H. Being present with the caring company can truly make a difference. 

load more
User Profile: SammyLouise
SammyLouise November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I know when I am very upset, I find it difficult to talk but really appreciate when people ask how they can help me as sometimes I just need some space and other times I need someone with me. So I would ask how I could help (and bring them a big cup of tea). 

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@SammyLouise Thank you for sharing how you cope when feeling upset. It seems bringing space and support are both important to you. You have shown understanding of others' needs - that is a gift. What helps create a feeling of safety in those moments?


User Profile: SammyLouise
SammyLouise November 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver Thank you. For me, safety comes from being told that I am safe, and being reminded that I am here in the present and I am now safe. I know this may not apply to everyone but it might help someone who has gone through past trauma. 

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 8th, 2023

@SammyLouiseIt sounds important to hear reminders that you are now safe. What kinds of things help remind you of the present moment when you need it? You've experienced trauma, yet you also found what helps you. I'm glad you are opening up and sharing with me here. 

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 November 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver The only answer I can come up with is to ask him/her/they/it/zer what's wrong, & then listen when (s)he explains it. Be sure to consider the answer given before responding, so that your response is kind &, hopefully, useful.

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@slowdecline48 It sounds like you are wanting to show kindness and care for this person. Asking them how they're feeling and listening without judgment shows great empathy. How did reflecting on their answer before responding make you feel?


load more
User Profile: Irini
Irini November 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver


Personally, if it's someone I know, I try to make them laugh! :) A good laugh can really make a difference. If it's someone I'm not close with, I'd offer a listening ear and empathize with their feelings. Let them know I'm there for them and ask if they want to talk. Sometimes, simply being present and showing understanding can provide comfort. 
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@Irini Thank you for sharing your thoughtful approach to supporting others. It sounds like making someone laugh or simply listening with empathy and understanding can both make a positive difference, depending on the situation and relationship. What kinds of feelings come up for you in wanting to help in whichever way seems best?


load more
User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 November 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Hi, ASO,

I would ask them if them want to talk.  If not, I think I would ask if they want some company.  If they want to talk I would listen and try to sympathize with them the best I can.  

User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 November 7th, 2023

@purpleTree4652

I'd like to only have a response from ASO, and from no one else.  Thank you.

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@purpleTree4652 Also, I would encourage you to get everyone's thoughts too because that will help us learn from each other and heal while supporting together. We are all in an inclusive discussion space and everyone can support each other <3 

load more
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP November 7th, 2023

@purpleTree4652 Thank you for sharing how you support others. It is kind to check in and offer a listening ear. You seem caring in wanting to understand their perspective and be present without judgment.


load more