Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pronoia: The Secret Conspiracy to HELP You

User Profile: GlenM
GlenM July 30th, 2025

I am now likely past the noon of life, as Carl Jung would say. It is unlikely that I will live another 48 years. I’ve learned over the years that my efforts at influencing things are dwarfed by the natural goodness, unearned, that seems to flow through my life and those I love - including all of you!

7 Cups is one of those very good things. We all work very hard and I think the world of our community. However, even with our collective intelligence, perseverance, and gumption, we still have had far more benefits than we could attribute to our own efforts. Indeed, we’ve somehow managed to catch lightning in a bottle not 1x, 2x, but likely 5x. And, to accomplish what we hope to accomplish, we’ll need to catch it about 2 dozen more times!

I feel the same way about my personal life. As many of you know, I had my own challenges growing up. Along the way, I’ve had mentors look out for me. They poured into me and helped me in a way that my family was not able to accomplish.

I write about the theme that the “problem is the path” -  that problems are often very good things that help us grow. They help us learn lessons that we would not otherwise learn (link) However, now, I think it goes beyond that. This invisible goodness that I think informs 7 Cups and our lives can be captured in the idea of pronoia. 

What is Pronoia?

We're all familiar with paranoia, the feeling that the world is out to get you. Pronoia is its opposite. At its core, pronoia is the suspicion that the universe is conspiring in your favor. It's the belief that people, events, and circumstances are secretly working together to help you.

I think of this as another term for grace, good luck/fortune, getting bailed out or rescued, hitting a series of green lights, things breaking your way despite you not really doing much to make it happen (or despite efforts to make it go off the rails unconsciously).

Rob Brezsny describes pronoia as "the feeling that the universe is conspiring to do you good." He frames it as an antidote to cynicism and despair. Another way to look at it is the belief that "the world is fundamentally benevolent, and that good things are always unfolding for you, even if you can't immediately see how." It's not about ignoring difficulties, but rather about approaching them with a sense of underlying support and an expectation of positive outcomes.


Feature

Paranoia

Pronoia

Core Belief

The world/others are conspiring against me.

The world/others are conspiring for me.

Default Interpretation

Suspicion, threat, malevolence.

Trust, benevolence, hidden blessings.

Emotional State

Fear, anxiety, mistrust, anger.

Gratitude, optimism, confidence, peace.

Focus

What could go wrong; potential harms; hidden agendas.

What could go right; unexpected benefits; serendipitous connections.

Impact on Individual

Draining, isolating, stressful, limits opportunities.

Empowering, connecting, resilient, expands possibilities.

Perception of Events

Sees coincidences as evidence of threat.

Sees coincidences (synchronicities) as evidence of support or guidance.

Action Tendency

Defensive, withdrawn, critical, guarded.

Open, engaged, generous, proactive.

Ethical/Moral Tone

Often leads to blame, self-pity, or aggression.

Fosters humility, compassion, and a desire to contribute.

Why Embrace Pronoia?

For those of us who struggle with our feelings or difficult challenges, it can be easy to get caught in negative thought loops. Our minds might tell us that things will always go wrong, that we're alone, or that we're somehow "cursed." This is where opening ourselves to the idea of pronoia can be helpful.

By consciously choosing to look for evidence that the universe and others are secretly conspiring to help us, we can:

  • Shift our focus to the positive: Instead of dwelling on what's going wrong, we start actively seeking out the good things, the helpful coincidences, and the supportive gestures.

  • Cultivate gratitude: When we notice the "conspiracies of good," we naturally feel more grateful for the blessings in our lives, no matter how small.

  • Reduce anxiety and fear: Believing in a benevolent universe can lessen feelings of isolation and dread, replacing them with a sense of being supported and cared for.

  • Foster resilience: When setbacks occur, a pronoia mindset can help us believe that even these challenges are ultimately serving a higher purpose or leading to something better.

It's not about denying the reality of our struggles, but about adding a powerful counter-narrative of hope and possibility.

Practical Techniques:

So, how can we start weaving pronoia into our daily lives? Here are some practical techniques:

The "Good Things" Journal/Log - write down at least 1-3 things that went well, or that you noticed as being helpful or supportive. Even small things count: a kind word from a stranger, finding a parking spot, a beautiful sunset, a nice tree you walked past. This will train you to better see the good naturally happening around you.

Pay attention to positive coincidences - Did you think of someone and they called? Did you need information and stumble upon it? Did something break your way or did someone give you unexpected help? Or perhaps something just worked out better than expected. Instead of dismissing them, consider these as winks, signs that there might be a greater force looking out for you. 

Reframing Challenges as Opportunities (The "Plot Twist") - We’ve already talked a lot about this idea, but here is new context: When something difficult happens, instead of immediately labeling it "bad," try to consider how it could be a setup for something better. Ask yourself: "How might this challenge ultimately be serving me?" or "What hidden opportunity might be embedded in this situation?" It's about looking for the "plot twist" that leads to a positive outcome.

Starting to practice pronoia is like training a muscle. The more you look for evidence of good, the more you'll find it. (Kind of like when you get a new car and start noticing that same car everywhere, even though you never noticed it before). It's not about blind optimism, but about consciously choosing to orient yourself towards the positive, recognizing the invisible threads of support that run through our lives.

My last caveat on this is that I think it is important to understand that this likely only works when you are trying to do good and serve others. e.g., I think we’ve been very fortunate on 7 Cups because we love other people and work hard to serve them. I’m not sure I’d notice as much pronoia if I was trying to make a ton of money or win the lottery. Alignment with good really matters. Here are H’s thoughts:

“Everything in life is about balance. You cannot make withdrawals without knowing you will have to make deposits, at some point, in order to maintain this seemingly invisible but overarching balance. Good things happen by attracting good, and by attracting good, you must have good intentions. To cultivate the practice of pronoia, you cannot be of a demanding mindset. "The universe owes me" is an attitude that will block your path. While you may have been hurt, as many of us have in this life, and you want to demand the universe give back to you, this will not put you at the frequency you need to be at to allow the universe to conspire to carry you."

What do you think of this idea of pronoia? If we want to do a group experiment (and I need help figuring this out!), then consider trying 1 or all 3 of the exercises above and share how it is going for you. Ideally, I’d love to find ways to help bake this into life so these threads of support are more visible to all of us. 

57
User Profile: Hope
Hope July 31st, 2025

@GlenM

I really like this concept. Thank you for sharing with us.

It reminds me of something Winston Churchill said:

"For myself, I am an optimist. It does not seem to be much use to be anything else."


A lot of us tend to spiral into overthinking, and that usually comes from our brain trying to protect us by running through every possible thing that could go wrong. But most of the time, that only makes things worse. That’s why I find the idea of pronoia so helpful. It’s not about ignoring problems or pretending everything is perfect. It’s about doing what you can, and then choosing to hope for the best. T. S. Eliot once said: "For us there is only the trying. The rest is not our business." This mindset isn’t new. In Islam, we call it Tawakkul:  doing your part and placing your trust in Allah. Many religious or spiritual people may already live by this, even if they don’t know the term pronoia.


Still, for anyone new to not giving in to paranoia or constant worry, it’s understandable if optimism feels out of reach. I once heard a podcast guest say something that stuck with me: "Keep moving when you're stuck."

If things feel hard or unclear, just take the next step. Often, that’s all you can really do. One of my favorite reminders is from The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy:

"I can't see a way through," said the boy.

"Can you see your next step?"

"Yes," said the boy.

"Just take that," said the horse.


And when life doesn’t go to plan, this quote by Oscar Wilde always makes me pause: "If you want to be a grocer, or a general, or a politician, or a judge, you will invariably become it; that is your punishment." Most of us believe that we are not the smartest person in charge. We tend to differ in who we think is ultimately in charge, but regardless, the average person agrees that there is a greater power at play and if that is the case then sometimes us not getting what we want, ending up where we want, can open up paths that are much better for us.


I know this is a lot of quotes for one comment, but they help me put things into perspective. They remind us we’re not alone. People across time have faced the same fears, and more often than not, they found their way through.

Here are two key tips that will create systems to help you naturally lean more into pronia

  • Surround yourself with people who are more inclined towards pronia (This is as simple as listening to a podcast for 10 minutes every day, reading books by people who are heart optimists, following pages that promote this mindset)
  • Remove yourself from circles that fuel your paranoia (Could be a page you subscribed to, a social media app)


    Remember rarely anything in life is a linear journey, we all get disheartened, we all feel paranoid at times but if you keep trying to remain optimistic (in smart ways like the above tips) you will defintely make progress and what choice we have! Like churchil said, what good would anything else do. 


1 reply
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP July 31st, 2025

@Hope thank you for sharing your perspective and many quotes! You have unpacked a lot of wisdom here. 

I'm hearing in this thread the importance of continuing to move forward even when we are stuck. And that oftentimes that might mean just taking the next step in front of us. 

Great practical recommendations too! Thank you Hope!

load more
User Profile: mytwistedsoul
mytwistedsoul July 31st, 2025

I have to admit that when I first saw this post I thought you made a typo. 

It seems like in putting this to use we're supposed to believe that basically everyone (the world) has our best interests in mind? That seems unrealistic and just a little delusional to me because the world is in fact, not a benevolent place. Couldn't this possibly lead to people overestimating situations or cause unrealistic expectations? 

 While I don't believe that the world or anyone else is conspiring against me, nor do I feel that the universe owes me anything. I also don't think the the stars or planets are aligning to bring me good things. If I want good things I have to work for them. 

2 replies
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP July 31st, 2025

@mytwistedsoul good clarifying question! I don't think this approach negates working hard. What is that Edison quote, "I believe in luck and the harder I work the more I get of it." I think it extends beyond that and says - often times break in our way - an unexpected string of greenlights, a great conversation with a caring listener, a complement (here is one: I appreciate this clarifying question. smart!) etc. that are not tied to our work or efforts. Pronoia is about better seeing these things as happening and that they often occur outside of our own hard work. 

1 reply
User Profile: SparkyGizmo
SparkyGizmo July 31st, 2025

@GlenM

kind of like some things I think/say often...........?

 🍀 Luck is simply where proper preparation meets opportunity

If I were in a little boat in the middle of a river and a storm was coming, well yes, I would pray. 😇 But I'd also pick up those oars and paddle like the dickens to get to shore. Sometimes, God helps those who help themselves. 

For 7 cups specifically...The magic happens around here every day 💫 . You either have to be willing to see it or willing to create it. Even better if one can do both. 

P= MxA   Performance equals motivation times ability. You can have all the ability in the world. With zero motivation, the performance will always be zero. I believe that motivation can over ride ability in the long run. It's the intentionality of it all. 

There is an element of free will in the above comments. Some of the free will is noticing what it is that we are consistently  "attending" to. What is it that we want to see? Will we focus on the bad always or will we focus on the good? 


I heard a pod cast from Jordan Peterson. The title was "How to be a miserable person". I was like, okay, I'll "bite" lets hear this one. He explained that the best way to be completely miserable is to:

Sit around all day and think only of ones self. To think about what one doesn't have. What is lacking. How terrible things are and how terrible they have always been. To come from the mindset of scarcity as opposed to thinking of what it is that one might have that is going well for them. 

To think that things will never change, to watch for the negative and say "see, there it is again. I told you so".  (do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy)? 

To do nothing for anyone else as others are either undeserving of kindness (and no one ever did anything for me) or there is nothing to offer them. Let them suffer just as I do. 


As you speak it, so it shall be in many moments! Negative self talk rarely will get one very far in life. Negativity breeds negativity and hopelessness.

One can always question "how much fun am I to be around"? If you don't have anything nice to say about another or to another then you might not be a lot of fun to be around. Then one can also question why it is that they are so lonely? 🤔


*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

load more
load more
User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy August 1st, 2025

Im in !!!!!

1 reply
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP August 1st, 2025

@Creamyyy good! me too :)

load more
User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy August 1st, 2025

What about suffering being a teacher ... everything happens for a good reason belief...

Pronoia mindset ?

@GlenM

1 reply
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP August 1st, 2025

@Creamyyy yes absolutely - you got it - suffering is often redeemed and teaches us the most important lessons that we'll ever learn.

load more
User Profile: ardentiana
ardentiana August 1st, 2025

@GlenM Hey there!

Firstly, amazing post....like I have been thinking a lot lately about pronoia since the last month and then getting the notification of the same concept was like pronoia in action for me.

The problem I face however, is that I am recovering from self-harm and I have quite a journey with myself....I feel like if you have experienced self-hatred for a while, then you have pronoiac in your "cold state" or when you're calm and not overthinking or filled with emotions. However, when ur in "Hot state" not only are you extremely paranoid, but you also feel like all this time that u have been practicing pronoia mindset is wrong....In simpler words, when something bad happens more than once, not only do I think that I'm paranoid, but u also feel the guilt of feeling pronioc which u think is useless now simply because u experienced something bad more than once. Logically speaking it is normal for bad things to happen more than once, especially for a longer period of time, but after such incidents, it is hard to stick to one belief

2 replies
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP August 1st, 2025

@ardentiana this is really well said. You have captured the challenges of cold/hot, calm/worried etc. And that when we are in a anxious state it is easy to think/feel/sense that whatever we believe at that moment is correct and that what we had thought in the past could be wrong. 

It sounds like you know quite a bit about this already. The fight or flight mentality and learning to calm ourselves. I think the key point is learning how to identify with the witnessing or observing self rather than the experiential self. I just did a talk on this. Here are some points from the slides:

Everyone has an intuitive sense of existence inside

There is a clear distinction between the "you" who is the awareness and "what you experience." This is a key insight of acceptance and commitment therapy.

You are Not Your Thoughts: You are the one who hears that voice. If you can hear it, you cannot be it.

You are Not Your Emotions: Similarly, you are not your anger, your fear, or your joy. You are the one who feels or experiences those emotions. They arise, they pass, but the "you" who notices them remains.

Relax and Release: His primary technique is to "relax and release."4 When an inner disturbance arises (a thought, an emotion, a physical sensation), instead of fighting it, judging it, or getting lost in its drama, you simply:
1. Notice it: Be aware that it's there.
2. Relax: Consciously relax any tension you feel in your body or mind in response to it.
3. Release: Let go of the impulse to control it, fix it, or make it go away. Allow it to flow through you.

Creating Space: This practice creates an internal space. By not clinging to positive experiences or resisting negative ones, you untether your consciousness from the constantly changing "stuff" of life.6

The Unchanging Center: As you consistently return to this practice, you begin to experience a deeper, unchanging core of your being - a place of inner peace, clarity, and freedom that is inherently undisturbed by external events or internal turmoil.
1 reply
User Profile: ardentiana
ardentiana August 1st, 2025

@GlenM thanks, I really appreciate it... these points do seem something I could work on

load more
load more
User Profile: PatienceImpatiens
PatienceImpatiens August 1st, 2025

screenshot-2025-08-01-at-10-47-08-am_1754059661.png

Image of three tuxedo cats cavorting because: toe beans.

I was searching (searching, searching) for a healthy “in-between state” between paranoia and pronoia.

I stumbled upon transnoia -- When we see a world where everything is a manifestation of the divine or transcendent, and everything that happens to us is helping us to awaken and grow in the light of this truth. This perception arises from a condition of faith in a higher power than us that is good, but also from wisdom, the ability to see that the challenges we have to face in our life conform to a meaningful pattern that, if we have the presence of mind to face up to will help us grow, evolve and eventually reach our enlightenment.  

But, that wasn’t it, that wasn’t the term for which I was looking.

I think the word for the state I was looking for was euthymia, : eu·​thy·​mia yü-ˈthī-mē-ə : a normal, tranquil mental state or mood.

Specifically: a stable mental state or mood in those affected with bipolar disorder that is neither manic nor depressive. 

 

It’s all words anyway. How am I feeling today? After a session of hand therapy for my healing fractured wrist, I feel angry, old, frustrated and defeated. Which is realistic, given the circumstances. Not Pollyanna toxically positive, I’m justifiably and logically terrified of my orthopedist given she re-broke my wrist to achieve better alignment and frustrated with my body processes for not being able to heal faster in spite of my dedicated efforts and exercises. But I accept where I am and will progress from there.

 

I could see using the term pronoia as an antidote to paranoia, but I would ideally strive instead for a stoic acceptance of things as they are, and a calm and stable mood, euthymia.  In my mind, it is only when a person accepts what’s really going on that we can make real changes. I choose to not live in a world of delusion, whether too positive or too negative. There’s a balance. Romanticizing or overly emphasizing a particular way of being does not make logical sense to me. 

 

Also, we threw in a paragraph about frequencies there. Which is interesting but fractally a whole other topic of discussion. (An interesting topic but not specifically related.) Except I totally agree with “Everything in life is about balance.” (H) And, I will strive to match H’s most excellent frequencies.

 

Moderation in all things.

 

Patiently yours,

Patience

 

 

2 replies
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP August 2nd, 2025

@PatienceImpatiens thank you for sharing your thinking and sleuthing in finding new and complementary words! I’m a big fan of words bc they are a representation of how we think. Talk therapy is mostly about putting words on feelings and experiences that were before un-worded or un-conscious - not conscious and not aware. Words help us become conscious, so very important and thank you for sharing. 


Pronoia actually has some stoic roots! And yes I agree that the deep wisdom of the stoics is something for us all to better understand and embody, 
 
I’m also interested in your thinking (and words!) for frequencies. I think this is another area where we don’t have great verbal maps. 
1 reply
User Profile: PatienceImpatiens
PatienceImpatiens August 4th, 2025

@GlenM screenshot-2025-08-03-at-10-39-37-am_1754315539.png


load more
load more
User Profile: modestBalsam8023
modestBalsam8023 August 1st, 2025

This is so cool! I would really like to focus on this more. Have been keeping a gratitude journal lately. Have been surprised how quickly I can fill up a whole page with positive things because I didn't realize all the blessings around me already ! 🤙⛱️🐳

1 reply
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP August 2nd, 2025

@modestBalsam8023 great job practicing gratitude! One small thing from the gratitude research that is often overlooked or unshared is that to really get the most juice out of gratitude, you have to focus on the relationships in which the gratitude is present. That is, you have to be thankful to a particular person. Like I am thankful to you for engaging in this post and making a comment. As opposed to me just being thankful for a comment on a thread. 

load more