How can I stop drinking or taking drugs?

Beth Pausic, Psy.D

I work collaboratively with people to foster strengths in order to transform their behavior so that they live a life that feels purposeful and values-driven.

Pandette - Expert in Alcohol/Drug Use
Every person on this planet is different and we react to certain situations differently. What methods have you tried to stop drinking or taking drugs? If we've already tried something and it hasn't worked, try looking in to a different solution. If you ever need help or want to talk about this with someone, feel free to reach out to me! There are tons of ways you can stop drinking and taking drugs. It's mind over matter!
Anonymous
You have to want it. Besides just knowing of the negative affects drugs or drinking may have on you be able to pick them out. Get familiar with the things you can't stand that the drugs/drinking bring on. It doesn't have to be something as serious as you're failing school or your parents kicked you out. For me, both of these happened before I got clean. One day, I sat in front of the mirror looking at my skin. I thought about how many people used to tell me how beautiful and glowing my skin was. I remembered when I had no dark circles or increasingly deep forehead wrinkles. Then I remembered sleep, and money, and what it felt like not to wonder if this was it. If this was the time I over dose. Because it sure did feel like it. I finished my 90 day script that day after about 4 days of having it and then I was cutoff and hopeless for a month. My withdrawals made me so hostile I ruined Christmas Eve and I slept through Christmas, New Years and all of January. Each time I get it refilled I binge for a few days, this time I indulged way too much and had an acute over dose. The irony of course in that after such a long sobriety I over dosed. It was the worst day of my life, hallucinations followed by drifting from sleep to wakefullness then hyper ventilation and vomitting. stop taking drugs. It's not a walk in the park. My hands and toes won't even work properly, never mind my emotional state or my cardiovascular. Ha. They're destroyed. I don't have friends anymore because my days were spent with my pill friends. My boyfriend can't love a drug addict so we've gone our seperate ways. All I ever want is drugs. There is more to life than drugs. Please go find it.
LeoAndrew
To whom who have been affected by addiction never give up. I was in the depths of drug addiction for over 5 years and I've been trying to come clean since then. I can't tell you how much better I feel and how free I feel from the whole mess. I took all the help available (counsellors, rehab camp, detox etc.) , and I stayed away from my friends who do drugs. I did some volunteering jobs especially to shelter for trouble teens. It did aid in strengthening my determination to fully free from drugs. I'm still struggling but I'm getting better. Finding an interesting hobby can also help the process.
24hoursaday
For me, I had to reach the point where the pain of change was less than the pain of staying the same--hitting a "bottom" with enough consequences for me to stop digging myself even deeper. At that point, I was able to return to Alcoholics Anonymous, get a sponsor, take suggestions, and finally work the 12 Steps. A year and a half later I am still clean and sober. I take it one day at a time, and I find that I can get through any struggle as long as I stay grounded in the present, instead of trembling at the shadows of the past or trying to predict the future.
HelpfulNinja
The best way to stop drinking and taking drugs is to see a professional, and get help as quickly as possible. The first step is of course to admit that you do have a problem with either one of those and then come to the understanding that it is best for you to stop it and seek help. Coming here or anywhere for help is one of the biggest steps.
AshleyA27
Addiction is a cunning and baffling enemy. It is a constant devil on your shoulder. It will make you do things you said you would never do (cheat, lie, steal, sleep with someone for drugs, manipulate, etc) & will continue making you do these things until you stop using. As long as you are in active addiction, your addiction is in control. But addiction can be arrested however, and then recovery is then possible. Through my experience, strength, and hope- NA meetings and other recovering addicts is how I stay clean. Meetings provide me with an environment of recovery and help me remember that I am not battling this alone. Addiction is a disease. Although it is preventable, it is not curable. If any of you are battling addiction today and need some help/guidance, PLEASE message me and I will do the best I can. :)
Anonymous
The key to stop is to prepare yourself mentally. You have to take the resolve that no matter what happens, I will not touch it for a week. Constantly remind yourself about the problems that you face at work or with your family. Those hangovers which spoil your entire day and the happy moments that you can share with your friends. Take a firm resolve to quit and you will have to start by taking baby steps towards it like setting a goal for 1 week. Take multivitamins and a good diet. I can personally tell you that the first week is the hardest. Once you come clean through it, half the battle is won. Most of your withdrawal symptoms would disappear within the first 1 week and you will feel a lot better. If you complete 3-4 months, you will easily sail through the journey. Involving yourself in an activity like reading or watching a tv series can fill the void and thereby improve your chances.
RamonaWinchester
Find something that inspires you to stop. Does it get you into trouble? What keeps you from achieving your Goal? You're responsible for your own choices so sometimes you need to ignore what others say and believe in yourself. #AlwaysKeepFighting
wonderousSunshine52
seek professional help,work hard,never give up,have great discipline,& most importantly alwys have love & faith in yourself
commanderhearteyes
There's no general guide for that. It works for everyone different. Always keep in mind why you want to stop consuming it. And why you started - avoid situations that could trigger you or try to move on. Avoid people that have a negative impact on you as well. Get yourself a support system. Friends, family, a professional or even strangers (group support sessions like the AA's - alcoholics anonymous). Ask for help if you need it, don't be too proud.
JustJane43
Effective treatment for substance abuse involves identifying the reason for it and focusing on treating the cause. Alcoholism and drug abuse are typically symptoms of other unresolved issues, and it it always better to treat the illness than the symptoms.
greenbby
Personally, when I was struggling with addiction, or the frequent use of drugs in order to feel happy or alive , what really helped me was realizing that life is much more than what substances make it out to feel. You don't need drugs or alcohol in order to experience love, fun, or excitement. I'd recommend practicing self care, and learning the slow lesson of stopping yourself when craving such things. I would also recommend seeking a support group where others can share their struggles. This, over time will allow you to feel accepted, not alone, and will help you really find yourself, a you without addiction.
softNutella25
Ask yourself why you're drinking or taking drugs to begin with. Is there a void that you're trying to fill, depression, boredom, something else? Try to get to the root of the problem and then you'll have a better chance at targeting steps to end the drug and alcohol abuse.
Haleydt23
First I would recommend you find someone close by to help get you to a rehab center. If that's not an option, I'd be happy to talk about how you got to this point and where you want to be.
S0hepburn
A good way is to let others around you know and ask them for support on helping you quit these addictions, meanwhile you can find another healthier habit to spend your time so it will help distract you from these addictions.
Spiderman93
there are many ways to quit. the key is to determine what is best for you. would it be better for you to talk to someone 1 on 1, or would a group setting be better? remember that you are NOT alone during recovery. there will always be someone who cares. stay strong!
IamaListener04
Dealing with addiction is a big deal...but impossible is nothing...people can overcome these habits by diverting their minds to their responsibilities. Meditation could be a mile stone if done on a regular basis,it will strengthen the will power.
mikethedj4
Avoid or Stop hanging out with groups that take drugs. Find people willing to help you through your addiction. meetup.com is a great place to find support groups for this sort of thing. Cops generally also know of some good support groups within your area as well (you can always call non-emergency too to find support groups) Also find people you can hang out with and talk to regularly that don't do drugs. Maybe go exercise, play pool, skateboard, or even being productive etc: The more you spend your time doing things you actually enjoy doing you won't have the need or feeling to take these substances.
HungoverCat
The most important thing is that you have to really want it and that you're motivated to change your whole lifestyle. If you feel you can't deal with it on your own, you can go to your doctor or a therapist and they'll give you advise how to go from there.
Elizabethk1
It all depends wether you want to stop. if you indeed would like to stop than your will power should be your strength to stop doing drugs and drinking.
Bikki
First step is realizing why you are consuming drugs/alcohol. And once you recognize this, you may find the strength to address the issues and start to find healthier alternatives to spend your time. Reaching out to people will help a lot, spending time with people talking or doing activities, or finding another healthy hobby!
Anonymous
Try joining a drug and alcohol program. Make a goal to stick to the program. Stay away from people, places and things that involve drugs and alcohol.
OneRaceOneLove
The first step is to want to stop your drinking or drug use. The next step is to rid your life of triggers.
gentleBraid63
Quitting drinking or drugs can be really hard on your own. You might want to talk to a doctor, counselor, or hotline in your area to see what your resources are. Some common resources are 12 step fellowships such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, or non-12 step support groups such as SMART Recovery. These groups are free and provide you with support from others dealing with similar issues. It also might be worthwhile to look into an outpatient, inpatient, or residential treatment program, depending on the severity of your substance abuse.
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2015 12:49am
Do you seriously want to stop drinking or taking drugs? If so, go to a local AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting for the next 90 days! Does that sound like a lot?...as compared to the alternative? They have the best track records in history! If there's no such group near you then join one online. Best wishes!
AlienSoul12
Your first step might be to see your doctor, contact a support group or friends and family. While some people can stop drinking or taking drugs on their own, others need medical help. Is important to know that you need to heal your soul before heal your physical body. Remember that you are not alone.
RC93
The most important step towards recovery is outreach. This can be intimidating at first. First, I would recommend reaching out to someone you know and trust. If you are not comfortable doing this, research localized help in the area you are living. Support will likely be the biggest game changer in your recovery. Right now, it may seem like there is no support or there is nobody you can trust. I promise you, there is. Again, just look for localized help and they will be able to direct you to resources in your area to help get you on the path to recovery. I hope this helps.
Anonymous
Talk to your doctor or someone you can trust about your desire to be clean from those things. They can give you resources and help support you as you work towards your goal.
Anonymous
Hide them or throw them out. Remove all access that you can have to them. Hide them from your sight. You can ask a trusted friend to keep you accountable for your actions by building a reward/ punishment system that depends on you telling the truth about your progress.
JainAviral
See it is very difficult to do so without any inspiration.... So take inspiration from something or someone and start doing it.... Cheers :)