Why can't I stop the wanting of throwing up my food?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

pinkandpaletea
The instant after your purge is complete, a sense of peace and wholeness overcomes you. You feel powerful and in control. It results in a perverse, but intense high and satisfaction. You decide maybe you’ll do it again. What’s one more time? It was so easy the first time anyway. And that’s how your addiction begins to infiltrate your mind, body, and spirit. Low self-esteem, suffering, and the inability to cope effectively are at the heart of all addictions. People with eating disorders also struggle with their identity—with establishing who they are and how that relates to what they want and the world outside. The addiction is an effective way to cope with life when you don’t understand your emotions; you have only a limited capacity for self-respect, and you don’t have healthy relationships with people. It's something predictable and comforting. It seems dependable. It becomes your friend. But all of that is just a myth. When things seem stretched too easy or seem too perfect, that's when the red flags should be waving. Never take your health for granted. You don’t realize just how important it is until you don’t have it anymore. Even if you’re a relatively healthy person, if you haven’t been to the other side, you don’t know how blessed you are every day. Always remember that your body is a sacred temple. Treat it with as much respect as you would any other physical temple. Anything else is cruel. People forget that bulimia is an act of cruelty. It’s not just something you do. It’s not just a psychological disorder and sickness. It’s an act of brutality that bespeaks a profound level of anger toward, and fear of, yourself. Then a time comes where your anger and fear take possession of your body and you become your own personal agent of death. You punish yourself because you think you deserve it, while struggling to survive long enough to take another beating. Your eating disorder is now your identity. When you say “I,” you mean “we.” You make decisions together, you think together, and you live together. Even thinking about separating from your other half sends you into a panic. How can you survive without it now? It’s terrifying. It’s intolerable. It’s possible.
Aditi24
Quite possible that you are over conscious about gaining weight. It's important to go and diagnose the cause for uncontrollable vomiting. Anxiety disorders, depression and eating disorders like Bulimia nervosa etc are associated with the same. Other reasons could be gastric infection due to contaminated food/water etc.
Anonymous
January 1st, 2015 12:54pm
i've dealt with bulimia or rather binge/purge type anorexia a while ago. i am recovered but what i can understand is that when you binge, or rather when you think you binge (eat an amount of food which is not okay with the limits you set for yourself) you feel really guilty and what you've taught yourself is that you must get it out of your system. throwing up is one example of purging. however love, this wont do much for you. it doesnt get rid of calories, fat, anything that had been consumed. only puts so many complications and strains on your body especially your heart. its a really bad habit and behaviour and i know how difficult it is to deal with and be able to heal from, but it's best that you see a professional. maybe an eating disorder clinic or a therapist of sort who can refer you to one. they can get you on the right track to healthy eating and so forth :) you don't need to feel guilty about what you've eaten. when you deprive your body of what it needs, it basically screams for it and binge eating is a result of that. just always remember, tomorrow is a different day. understand that you will not gain weight from it, you think youve eaten more than you actually have and try to get a better understanding and knowledge of nutrition and health rather than focusing on just weight. when you put good things into your body and treat it well in general, you feel good :) you deserve to feel good love take care of yourself x
EspritDuKaren68
I can only tell you what it was for me. I used to do that in high school because my mother always thought I was fat and made fun of me. I internalized the message that if I am fat, I cannot be loved, so thought that in order to get love, I have to be thin. That is why I purged after large meals. I just wanted to be loved.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2016 5:59pm
While I cannot pin a Bulimia Nervosa diagnosis on everyone who chooses to self induce vomiting, I can for a fact say the disorder and the behaviour stem from control issues and dysmorphia. It is usually a mix of feeling helpless and feeling insecure that leads to eating issues like this. Personally, I am in recovery and it is the hardest thing to do in life. To admit something else is wrong besides yur weight. Why, is subjective, but it all comes down to wanting to feel like you can do something right.
AlyssaP
Something like this is associated with eating disorders. For people with disordered eating habits, things like purging can become like an addiction. Say you begin to throw up your food once a week. You feel relieved afterward, and you begin to enjoy that feeling of relief, causing you to do it more often. It is ingrained that purging will lead to a sort of positive feeling, therefore your brain wants to do it more.
Raspberrycheesecake
This is a tricky situation. Wanting to throw up food can be an obsession. It can be something that makes you feel good, but deep down you know that it's not good for you. Having an Eating Disorder can blind you and eat away at you for a very long time. Wanting to throw up is the same way. You think that it's healthy and that you want a good body image, and you are then blinded by this idea of the perfect body, that you forget what is healthy. Food is out fuel and we need to make sure that we keep at least a bit of fuel in us to keep us going. So ultimately, you throwing up food could be a psychological image in your head of what a "perfect" and "healthy" body is.
JessicaH0806
Maybe you have an eating disorder. The anxiety of eating and wanting to throw up all of your food is called bulimia. I would see your primary care physician about these feelings, or see a counselor.
Anonymous
There is never one reason for wanting to throw up food. Try to find the cause of the problem first.
Anonymous
In my opinion I think you have bulimia, it is an eating disorder. Try eating on a smaller plate, it helps control weight balance
MagicMeg6
i feel this too, i think that it is because it becomes addictive because of endorphins or something like that and maybe the feeling of food inside of the body is uncomfortable. i was told that if you keep ignoring the urges the feeling will go away but i dont know
kindBlossom18
From my own experience, purging can be used as a form of comfort, and as a way of inplementing some form of control into your life, where there is a lack of in relation to your emotions. Therefore trying to separate yourself from this behaviour which has comforted you in the past can be incredibly challenging. It can become your 'coping mechanism' very quickly, which is of course very dangerous and a difficult behaviour to break from. Whenever you get that urge to purge, you could try to distract your mind by doing something else. Perhaps go for a walk, or meditate? Whatever is most comfortable for you. Eventually the behaviour will begin to break and you will no longer crave that need to purge, because you will have found alternative ways of coping. It takes some time, and there is no doubt that you will sometimes relapse, but as long as you are patient and forgiving towards yourself you will get there. I did❤️
laurenalissa2003
If you want to throw up your food, you may be suffering from an eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia. I would get checked out by a doctor as soon as you can.
JudithAsk9
Well, it could be for many reasons. Each of us have ways of conduct that we've been building ourselves with time. Many of them have a strong emotion or belief behind them. Maybe theres one in you telling you that you'll feel better, or you'll look thiner, or you would be able to enjoy more food.
Anonymous
While the idea of throwing up after eating seems a bit far-fetched to many people, it is something that thousands of people have experienced. It is a common sign of a serious problem: an eating disorder. Purging may start out as a "diet" of sorts but it can quickly become an addiction. You may find it hard to stop because of the addictive nature of the act.
starryRiver83
Eating disorders are very difficult, particularly if you have become accustomed to doing this for a long time. If you have been throwing up food and then try to stop, you are still going to want to. A good idea would be to try and find the reason why you want to do it and then work on it. There is a guide towards eating disorders on this website which may help you.
beYOUtiful365
YOU can stop throwing up, your ED is the one that doesn't. Deny that urge to purge because you know it is not right. Start by eating foods you feel comfortable with, that way you won't feel regret and want to throw it up. Keep in mind that feeling "full" is normal. Enjoy your food and eat until you are comfortably satisfied. Eat a well balanced meal, but don't over do it.
CaramelSavesLives
January 22nd, 2017 8:40am
If you have thrown up your food before, it can become addictive. Sometimes even the body becomes accustomed to throwing up after eating, making it difficult to keep food down. If you want to stop feeling the urge to throw up your food, I recommend getting professional help to overcome your eating disorder.
Anonymous
Because it's a habit, eventually it becomes normal and a way of life. The feeling and knowledge of food being digested is tough at first after being used to throwing up but to overcome this takes great strength. Focus on getting healthy, on a more 'normal' eating pattern and habits make this your new routine.
Anonymous
There may be a gnawing fear of gaining weight, feeling fat or sickness from anxiety that makes your stomach churn. You may feel it to be a way to manage weight, albeit one that can lead to many serious concerns later on in the future. It may be the self destructive desire to feel pain, whereby the sickness alleviates the internal pain and worry and fear by externalising it. There are many triggers as to why one may wish to. But in the end, it all stems from internal suffering and a wish to externalise it some how. Often in desire to control, change, alter or feel, it is a sickness and action that racks the body, mind and soul.
ChristinaA
First Thing's First: You have to realize what you have is an eating disorder, and that it is life threatening. If you can accept you have a disease, and that you need help, you can RECEIVE the help. There are all sorts of in, and out-patient treatment programs to help you overcome the want to throw up food and help you figure out the root cause for why you do it. Talk to your doctor or therapist about resources available. You can also find more resources and treatment options here: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/ My response is not meant to be replaced as a physician's opinion. Please seek help as soon as possible, and good luck!
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2015 10:39am
This act has become the norm for you - it's almost a ritual. So it feels unnatural to Not throw up food. You need yourself to get used to eating again, try eating regular small meals that are easy to swallow and soft.
Tiannalovesyou
I've struggled with this as well. At first, it was because I felt fat and I was so worried about gaining more weight that the thought of keeping food in my body disgusted me, Eventually, though, I think it simply became habit to feel that way. The way I got past is was to simply keep eating and it finally went away as I also learned to cope with my feelings of self doubt. Best of luck to you! Feel free to message me if you wish.
Hayles0111
You may be struggling with bulimia. It's mostly common in young teenage girls but anyone can suffer from it.
Anonymous
Its an addictive thing to get into, as once you've done it once you will want to do it over and over again because you feel like its affective but in reality its ruining your throat.
Anonymous
CourageousSunset30
How long have you been feeling this way? Can you tell me more about how you have been feeling outside of that?
marvelousBlossom86
Being used to throwing up food makes the body want it, almost like a reflex. In the case of that occurring, take a few moments to relax and evaluate why you want to throw up your food. If harmful thoughts to your own person occur, counter the harmful thoughts by telling as you would a good friend in the same situation. You will fail many times, but in time the urge will become weaker until it wanes completely.
AnActiveListenerHere
If you have been throwing up food consistently, you should seek medical attention. It could be for something as simple as food poisoning that may need to runs its course but it could be something more. Please reach out and get help!
WarriorDreams
Too much worrying about the wrong things. One should focus about their inner beauty rather than outer beauty. If vanity is not the issue then one should release the idea that they can control everything. It seems letting go is the ultimate way to get control over yourself.