How do you know if your bisexual?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

hopeforlgbt
Bisexuality is, as a general definition, being attracted to men and women. If you feel romantic or sexual feelings to certain people of both genders, you probably are bisexual. Bisexuality, like all sexualities, varies for everyone. You can be bisexual and mostly like girls or boys. In the end, you decide who you love, and Bisexual is just a general label. Sexuality changes and varies, and a word can only do so much to describe such a big part of what makes you who you are.
Anonymous
You know if you are bisexual if you feel a sense of attraction towards both men and women. Attraction doesn't necessarily have to be sexual attraction either, it can be romantic attraction. Some people get those mixed up.
RainbowAtHeart
I personally found out when I realized that while I could see myself with a man romantically, I could see myself doing the same with a woman, and felt similarly about them. I have, of course, learned that I do prefer women since then, but the basic idea for me was that even if one was a more preferable option, I could see myself being comfortable and happy with either.
mjolnir
Being bisexual means we have the potential to be attracted to people of their own gender or another gender. Some bisexuals, like me, may be attracted to different genders in a different way; but basically, we are capable of loving more than just people of one specific gender. You might find that you like one gender more, or you might not. It depends on you.
Anonymous
You feel an attraction to members of both the opposite and same sex. It also doesn't have to be a 50/50 split between men and women, you can have a stronger attraction to one than the other. It doesn't have to be a sexual attraction either. Either way, you, and only you, can define your sexuality, just be happy and don't let anyone get in the way of that.
Anonymous
Being bisexual is simply to me being psychially/sexually attracted to both men and women. its more then just experimenting.
Anonymous
if you find yourself attracted to the same sex but also feel attracted to the opposite sex, thats a big sign that you are bisexual
FluffedWuff
I am gay, specifically speaking. But as you're exploring your sexual identity ask yourself, yes or no questions such as: "Do I find X gender sexually or romantically appealing?" Validate your answers, Knowing there is no right or wrong answer or response! Sometimes (usually) the "Why" behind gender preference is left unanswered for many people. Be honest and open to yourself and you'll be on your way to resolution. :)
JuniorJuniper
That's a brilliant question. I first found out when I started crushing on one of my best male friends. I had only had crushes and liked girls before, but I had had those moments where I looked a little extra at a guy before. So I think you "know" you are Bisexual if you have/ have had crushes or feel attracted romantically and/or sexually to people that are both male and female.
Anonymous
usually the easy answer most people give is that you've experiences attraction towards "both" genders, but in my opinion it's a feeling you get, and you can either say you trust your gutfeeling and call it bisexual or not, and even if you label it, you can still change it. sexuality doesn't have to be static, it can be more fluid.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2017 7:41am
Speaking from what it was like for me, I'd say it was just something I discovered over time. I noticed that other people didn't feel the same way about people of their own gender as I did and when someone told me what bisexuality is, my mind went "oh THAT's what it is." :)
Anonymous
Bisexuality is usually being sexually attracted to people who identify as male and female, but it is often more complex than that, you may have different romantic feelings for different people, or be more attracted to certain traits than others. Your sexuality belongs to you, and is for yourself to explore, I would advise you to just do some research and explore your feelings.
Anonymous
A bisexual person has the capacity for romantic and/or sexual attraction to more than one gender. If you honestly feel you meet that criteria, it is likely you are bisexual. As a bi person, you do not have to feel the same kind or intensity of attraction to all genders. There is nothing for you to prove, nothing to consummate, no requirement to “maintain” your bisexuality. Understanding and acknowledging your own sexuality is a personal process and is about living with integrity and being true to yourself.
HeyImGwen
I, personally, am bisexual. It wasn't exactly a massive conclusion, but one day I realized that I had romantic feelings or emotions toward not only boys, but girls as well. I've heard it's different for different people, but this is just how it was for me.
Comforter26
Sexuality is a wide spectrum. One of the best ways to have a clue about where you stand without physically experimenting is taking a Kinsey Test. At the very least it would make you think of the right questions. There are also plenty of resources online to understand what is bi-sexuality and how it works. It might help to approach a bi-sexual friend with your conceptions and ask them how they knew. It is, in my opinion, better to do some basic research before experimenting with other people so that the experience would be more informed and has lesser potential to be harmful.
Proactiveandre
it's different for everyone. There's no 100% accurate test you can take that says "you are bisexual" or "you are not bisexual". Sexuality is ridiculously complex and confusing. If you feel sexually attracted to multiple sexes, you might be bisexual. Then again, you are the expert on you, and no one can tell you how you feel. Maybe you're sexually attracted to multiple genders but only romantically attracted to females. Maybe you're sexually attracted to multiple genders, and don't feel any romantic attraction. Maybe you like mostly guys but some girls, or mostly girls, but some guys. Maybe you're just experimenting. It's all okay. (Side note: don't let anyone bash you for experimenting, who are they to say your identity and emotions are not/were not valid.) Keep your chin up, do some research, and don't expect to fit in a perfect little box right away. It's okay if it takes you a long time to figure out which label makes you comfortable, it's okay if you don't want to label yourself at all. It's okay if you think you're something, then realize you're something else. Whatever you end up doing -- as a bi person who took 5 years of questioning to figure it out, just don't push yourself too hard to figure everything out right away.
blissfulWriting11
You start feeling an attraction to females/males in the same way you do with the other gender. It can be confusing, and many people don't know what they're feeling for a while. Bisexualality is being attracted to females and males, or being attracted to two genders. Bi means two and sexual is what you're attracted to. That makes the definition of bisexual being attracted to two genders.
Anonymous
It doesn't just come down to who you've had sex with. If you feel a sexual attraction to both men and women, you're probably bisexual. People know they're straight before they've had intimacy with anyone of the opposite sex. You're never expected to *prove* you're straight before you can call yourself that. Only you can decide.
ModicumACattus
The short answer: Do you feel attraction to women, men, and/or another gender or lack thereof? Then you're bisexual! The long answer: Sexuality is a complicated, fluid thing. The only thing I can recommend is time. Don't box yourself into a sexuality right away, give yourself time to explore. Phases are okay!
Anonymous
It is important to note that you do not have to put a label on your sexuality right away or ever, so if you do not feel the need to label yourself, you are not required to do so. However, if you want to be able to use a certain label, you might think about what you find attractive in a person and then question whether those things are specifically related to this person's gender or maybe they're more vague.
colorfulPuppy52
Do you imagine yourself with a male or a female in the future? Are you comfortable with the thought of being in a relationship with a female or a male? Or both? Are you straight and trying to identify your sexuality? Or are you gay/lesbian? If you're the latter, it differs than the formal. Did something happen and you realised you might be bisexual? Or are you trying to know about your sexuality?
Sootgremlins
Sometimes bisexuality isn't something you notice at first, and is different for everyone. Being bisexual doesn't mean you have to be attracted to everyone, but it's more of a spectrum where you might have a preferance for one gender over the other and that's okay.
It all depends on who you are attracted to. If you're not sure, focus on your reactions, on both emotional and physical perspective, when you look at someone you find really beautiful. If you feel like you desire both men and women - not just as "both are beautiful" but as "I feel desire for both men and women" - then you are bisexual. Remember you don't have to label yourself immediately, take you time, explore your desires and fantasies without any prejudice. And don't worry, there's no nothing wrong in any secual orientation, whatever it is
novastardust
bisexuality is defined as "attraction to two or more genders." if you feel that your attraction fits that definition, you're probably bisexual, and that's really something that only you can decide. have you wanted to date people of two or more different genders?? be emotionally intimate with them?? physically intimate with them?? asking yourself these kinds of questions and answering them as honestly as possible can help you discover your sexuality. best of luck!!
Anonymous
I believe it is when we have feelings, both biologically and mentally, for both sexes. It doesn't mean that you have to find every girl or every guy attractive or act on these feelings for your feelings to be real.
niamh333
Well a good sign that you might be bisexual is if you are feeling sexual attraction towards males and females. Please note that this is different from romantic attraction. Labels can be helpful to aid us in figuring our feelings out but they are not the most important thing so don't worry if you're not sure. Here is a comprehensive list of attractions and orientations if you're interested about learning more :) https://goo.gl/xX6JXD
Anonymous
It might take a lot of time to actually find yourself and know who you are, but simple examples to knowing and finding out if you´re bisexual is to figure out if you have romantic/sexual attractions or feelings with, both females and males. You could sometimes only feel attracted to men and sometimes only to women, but really if you identify yourself as bisexual and want and have the need to call yourself bisexual then you are!
Turbokiddo
Sexuality can be a pretty complex topic and some people just discover themselves as times goes by, it's okay to be confused and it's okay to question yourself, as a bisexual person myself i can say that it was rather confusing for me too when i first started questioning myself, sexuality and gender identity is a spectrum and normally based in my personal experience i'd say that a bisexual person feels romantically and sexually attracted to both genders, if you're bisexual you're most likely open to engage in a relationship regardless of gender, but there's also bisexual people with a preference for males or females, well, in the end of the day it all comes down to how you feel and what makes you happy, there's no rush, you don't need a label to be who you are and love who you love, so in my opinion the only way for you to find out if you're bisexual or not is to let yourself live and experience, explore and discover more about others and yourself, i'm sure that you'll eventually get the answer you're looking for.
Anonymous
With my personal experience, I think to try and identify what you feel when if you were to be attracted to a particular sex. I like to think of hypothetical ideas and note how you feel. Or trying to notice your thoughts when it comes to a gender, sexually and romantically.
Whizzer
August 23rd, 2017 7:45am
Only you can be sure. If you want to know for sure, experiment! See whats up! Nobody can give you a specific rule book on how to know if you're bisexual, but one thing I'd say is that you don't have to have it set in stone. I've tried looking for what my sexuality is for years now, and I've never been able to pinpoint it and within the last few months I decided that maybe I didn't need to. You can just say that you're into whoever you're into and that's okay! In the end it's all about exploring yourself. Nobody can tell you what you are or who you are but you !!