Sometimes I really think I was meant to be a different gender, but then other times I really like my gender. What's wrong with me?

Christy Barnes, LCSW, LISW-S

In our fast paced world today, we often get swept up in stressors and conflict. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming and lonely. I can help you find your own truth and balance.

Rebecca
Nothing is wrong with you! Gender can be very fluid for some people, and that is a-okay! You might be genderfluid or genderqueer, meaning you don't identify is either male or female. However, I can't really say, you are the only one who can decide. I suggest looking into different gender identities and seeing if there is something you really resonate with. Good luck! If you ever feel really confused, make sure to connect with a listener!
Rainbows94
Gender is not binary, it is not always male and female. Gemder is a big spectrum and it is the expression of the self, and as any other form of expression, it depends on the context and situation. Therefore, as an example, a gender fluid person might wear masculine clothes one day, and then the next day wear more feminine and puts on make-up. Gender is unique to every person. Remember that there is no wrong or right gender, the only right thing is to express yourself the way you feel.
Anonymous
Nothing. Some people are non-binary, which means we aren't just one gender, but two or more. Have you heard of being genderqueer, genderfluid, or bigender? This is one place you could go to to check it out: http://neutrois.com/what-is-neutrois/ . It's confusing, you might feel you're the only person who's like this, who's broken, but there's nothing wrong with you and you're not alone.
JeileUK
There is nothing wrong with you. Sometimes we have doubts about who we are and the body we're in. It is natural to certain extent, as we have both male and female in all of us. There might come a point when this questions replays constantly in your mind. It is at this stage when you might want to explore it further witha qualified Counsellor.
JinkzKitty
There are many options on what this could be. You could be used to your birth gender but feel like another gender. You could be bigender, genderfluid, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, or many other of the non-binary variations. It can be hard to explain and understand sometimes and even being non-binary myself I have a hard time explain and feeling it myself.
Anonymous
Nothings wrong. It's completely normal. A lot of people fall for the same or opposite gender. Just be yourself.
maxh
May 23rd, 2015 8:21am
It's possible that you're bigender or genderfluid. Sadly, even with trans issues getting more notice, gender is still often cast as a permanent choice from one or two options, but that simply isn't true; there's a whole world of non-binary gender out there!
Anonymous
Our gender identity very rarely is black or white. Each person is different and it's impossible to say what's masculine or what's feminine, so there's nothing wrong with you, we are all human.
wonderfulKiwi70
There's nothing wrong with you at all. There's a possibility that you might be genderfluid, which is a gender orientation where you naturally alternate between different gender identities. You can find more information here: http://gender.wikia.com/wiki/Gender_Fluid
yourangelus
There's nothing wrong with you. I would recommend looking into different gender identities and seeing what fits. Sounds like you might be genderfluid, but that's for you to decide.
Manifestation
There is nothing wrong with you. Gender fluidity is a very natural process and discovering yourself in this process can be a very amazing journey.
Anonymous
some of us have more complex personalities that the norm, and we are capable of relating to ourselves and others in a variety of ways. It is ok to have all sides of you, and the more you can accept and express all of who you are, the happier you will be. Nothing is wrong with you!
bella0909
well some people can be genderfluid. That means that the man/women can choose what gender they want to be whenever they feel like it .... at least that is what i have heard... so nothing is wrong with you. you are probably just curious
MonBon
I don't think anything is wrong with you :) It sound like you are gender fluid, but you could also be agender, bigender, genderqueer, etc. I wouldn't stress too much about it though
Hellelujah
Absolutely nothing is wrong! Some people identify as genderfluid. Much like the name, they feel that they flow between different genders from day to day.
Cecelys
Hello! I myself identify as nonbinary - my gender shifts too much for me to understand. To me this sounds like genderfluid, genderflux, or another variation. I'd do some research on those words to find out more! I hope you're okay - and remember, there's nothing wrong with you.
bdvhood
Nothing is wrong with you we were all born special :)
TangledRivers
February 21st, 2016 7:24pm
There is nothing at all wrong with you. It sounds like you may be gender fluid. You may want to look into resources for gender non-binary people or research more information on gender fluidity. If you need a definition, gender fluid people feel like both genders or neither but at different times. For instance, today, this hour, you may feel like a woman. But later tonight you may feel like a man. Or, for some, it may be different for an entire day or week or longer. You may feel like a woman this week and a man for a few days next week, and then maybe neither for a while. This is perfectly fine and there is nothing wrong with it or you.
ashbradbury42
February 22nd, 2016 6:47am
Nothing. You may be genderfluid, which means your gender changes daily or weekly or monthly or whatever. You're fine.
Egaeus
There is nothing wrong with you. Gender identity can be, and often is, fluid. There is no need to pin yourself down on one specific gender if you don't feel comfortable doing so. For example, if you feel like a woman every odd day in a week and feel like a man the others, that's all right. Things are allowed to just be.
HonestLee
March 22nd, 2016 9:58pm
There's nothing wrong with you, and there's no reason that any of us have to pick just one. That type of thinking is referred to as the gender binary where there is only male or female. There is really more of a spectrum - some people feel they are one gender, some feel it changes depending on the day or mood or situation, some feel they are both at the same time, or some sort of combination therein. Others feel they are neither. ALL of these are acceptable - Transgender, bigender, genderfluid, cisgender, agender - there is nothing wrong with any of these or any others you may come across
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2016 3:57am
You could possibly be gender-fluid. I have the same "problem." Sometimes I feel masculine, but other times I feel feminine. It's okay to be non-binary. Just do what makes you happy.
May 23rd, 2016 1:47am
Nothing is wrong with u, u might be in the stage of finding out what sort of sexuality you are. That is a though stage and will take time. Take your time and figure it out, let it grow on u as it is suppose to, don't be afraid to learn about urself more.
OpenEarsOpenHeart
Absolutely nothing is "wrong" with you! Perhaps, delving deeper into and further discussing the idea of feeling this way as being "wrong" would be an excellent starting point!
Anonymous
There's nothing wrong with you at all. Genders are just a label to organise people into different categories to better study them. But until the day science is able to understand people better, genders / sexuality will always be misunderstood and people will always be wrongly judged/labelled!
Probius
There is nothing wrong with you, it sounds like you are gender-fluid, and that's okay. Some people feel like their gender changes over time, and there is nothing wrong with this.
Idontevencare
You might be genderfluid, meaning that your gender changes, and if you are that's totally fine. It's a real and valid identity, and there is nothing wrong with you.
Mia1
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. It's absolutely okay to question your gender. It's absolutely okay to be confused. But you're not broken. 7 cups has a great forum of gender. It may be helpful to you! http://www.7cups.com/forum/LGBTQMOGIISupportCommunity_58/ResourcesforLGBTQMOGIICommunity_766/OnGenderIdentityandRespect_296/
QuietPower28
Nothing is wrong with you don't worry :) I think you just need to find who you are, the experiences that shape your gender maybe haven't happened yet, then again you might be agender! Which is totally fine :)
invisiblepeanut
Nothing is wrong with you! You can label this feeling however you like, but most would call this feeling gender fluidity! Being gender fluid means that one day you could feel like a boy, the next feel like a girl, and then, on occasion, maybe neither. Sometimes people sometimes feel like a boy and sometimes feel gender-less, without ever feeling like a girl. It's the same way with sometimes feeling like a girl and sometimes feeling gender-less. never feeling like a boy. However you want to identify is fine, as long as you are happy. That's really all that matters. Your gender identity is up to you.