Hi I'm thinking a lot of self harming in a dangerous way. Will this help me on how I am feeling?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

radiantHoliday82
I believe you should first try to understand what is making you feel that way and try to talk about it before doing anything and try doing things you like before. If you still have the urge to harm yourself please do tell someone so they can help you
bountifulWhisper17
No, self harming will not help you on how you are feeling. Harming yourself may possibly make your feelings worse than they currently are.
JuliaCho
I used to cut for a few years. I know that’s not the only form of self harm, but it has done nothing for me. I did it thinking that it would be easier to take my frustration out on myself than other people. Sure, it felt good for, maybe, a tenth of a second. Then you just bleed, and the stinging afterwards is awful. All it did was leave me scars that I don’t want, self harming was a decision that I wish I had never made. It makes you self-conscious and you don’t want to wear t-shirts or shorts because people would question you, it does too much damage and no good at all. So no, it will not help you on how you are feeling. If you ever need anything, though, you can always talk to one of the listeners here
AfiaTe
March 23rd, 2020 12:59pm
I have learned from experience and working with other that have turned to self-harm and things such as cutting find that it is a way for them to cope and feel better. A common explanation is that it's a way for them to take their mind and thoughts away from the emotional pain and distress that they are feeling and it allows them to more-so focus on the physical pain that they are in as a result of self-harming and cutting. So to answer this question truthfully, I am not able to say yes or no, because it isn't black and white; there is a gray area. It is possible that self-harm (to some extent) could distract you from your emotional pain and cause you to focus more on the physical pain, as I stated before, it's a way that people cope, BUT, this is not a healthy coping skill and it is one that you should try to refrain from doing as it is very dangerous and if serious enough can lead to death which is what we do not want. The goal is to remain safe and to think of HEALTHY ways to cope with our feelings and emotions.