why does cutting make me feel better but then bad afterwards?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

youarevalid
Cutting, or any form of self harm, is a temporary fix. It can feel good to relieve your pain by hurting yourself, but after you're done, you feel pretty bad. A lot of people experience this, and self harming becomes an addiction to them because they don't want to feel bad, and self harming is the only thing that can make them feel good.
NumberEleven
Cutting releases feel good hormones, but after that you feel the guilt of what you've done so maybe that's why you feel bad.
lilest
Cutting or any kind of self-harm is good at the momento cause is make endorfine being released on your body, making you feel good for a little time, but then is stops and all come back on the felling before. Most of the time becomes a addiction because of it, you want more time-out of your pain and cut yourself more, What turns it on a really vicous cycle, hope I helped.
michelle2000
The cutting that you do releases chemicals from the brain that generate happiness. This happiness lasts for a short amount of time until you realize what you've done to yourself and you begin to regret your actions. At first you enjoy the pain, but then you hate the consequences.
Supergirl94
It is a temporary relief. The pain allows you to be distracted from how you feel and allows a different sensation to take over you. But you also just hurt yourself so your body is rejecting what has happened to it and you still feel the way you did before cutting. It is a temporary fix, so when the sensation leaves you, you are left feeling how you felt before and with just an aching cut on yourself. You may also feel there is a better way to get through it, but you feel stuck, depressed, helpless to stop it.
Anonymous
It releases natural pain modulators from the body making you feel euphoric. These chemicals feel similar to a lot of pain drugs, but the sensation goes away very quickly. Then you're just left with a full cut which can be very painful and quite dangerous. You may also feel guilty for doing this to yourself for the moment of feeling good. The good news is that there are other way to have that same good feeling without hurting yourself. Stay safe.
Anonymous
Cutting provides an in the moment relief but you feel bad afterwards because you realize what you just did. This is what I have felt in my experience.
AskBeth
Self-harm is tricky to understand, it gives you a sense of relief but then you feel guilty afterwards for 'giving in'. It's a vicious circle but if you can find just one thing that takes your mind away from self-harm even in the desperate times, that's a big step towards battling it and ending it.
AngelFace97
Cutting is a form of self-harming.. It helps to relieve pain and release a hormone called endorphins. When we are being relieved from a specific emotion or type of mental pain and when we are releasing those endorphins, it can help to make us feel better. Yet after we have cut, it then causes anger and guilt within us. So, cutting makes you feel better right there and then in that moment but then after makes you feel bad again.
Anonymous
You feel waves of emotions coming towards you. You can't handle it. You feel overwhelmed. So how do you cope up? By cutting. That cutting distracts you from the overwhelming feelings so you feel good but then the reality hits you and you feel bad. It's like drugs...
Anonymous
Sometimes the immediate pain helps us feel better, like we are releasing everything bad with it, but then afterwards we start to think a little more clearly again and end up feeling bad for various reasons
CassisRose
Cutting causes real, physical pain. When you cut your body releases endorphins to help you deal with that pain and any stress it might cause. Endorphins also make you feel great, like an actual chemical high, when they are pumping through your bloodstream. You feel fantastic for a while, but then the endorphins begin to wear off and the emotions that made you want to cut in the first place return. That same control you felt while cutting, now feels like a lack of control, which can turn into guilt and shame. Feelings reinforced by the desire to hide what you've done.
BlackWolf1002
self harm is usually a method we use to escape from our Mental pain through Physical pain, when our Mental pain is way over our power to withstand and it becomes too much, after the Mental pain is gone we completely focus on the physical pain which makes us feel bad, know how precious you are and there is only one version of you, mental pain is temporary we do not want it to lead us to Physical harm, we deserve happiness and A fair life, think of how many people care about you, friends, family members and also this beautiful community
AboveAndBelow
When you cut, hormones in your brain are released to help deal with the brain (like a self-made painkiller) so you feel better when you do it and it becomes very addictive. You might feel bad about it afterwards because you've realised what you've done and you can't take it back
orangerosess
Cutting yourself releases endorphins which can give you a pleasurable feeling. your body releases endorphins to help relieve the pain. the reason why you feel bad afterwards is because the pleasurable feeling fades and you might feel guilty afterwards for cutting yourself. cutting can be a release but its not a healthy way to get relief. i hope you can find a way to get relief in a healthy way.
Anonymous
some people do self harming because they find it somehow helpful but on the other hand it does not. because self harming is that you're torturing yourself. don't ever think that cutting yourself is a good idea, because there's other people who value you and hate to see you hurting. seek for their company and share your troubles to your family or friends.
Anonymous
your brain releases chemicals when you cut but when your done cutting it will go away. Its like getting drunk when your cutting but then you wake up with a hangover.
bokchoi
rush of endorphins while you cut, then afterwards you get a drop. It's a bit like when you get a caffeine high then plummet down afterwards.
Anonymous
Hey sweetie, there's this thing call your conscience that makes you feel bad when you do bad stuff, but after awhile it fades away. Cutting is something that I did and it works like this: First you feel really bad. Next, you start cutting and feel like all the pain you felt before went away. Last, you conscience makes you realize that you have harmed your precious, beautiful body and you feel bad. Tell someone about your cutting. They can help you. And if you're older, go to your nearest therapist.
Anonymous
When you cut yourself, or engage in other kinds of self-injury, it is probably a way for you to manage negative emotions. It provides a source of immediate physical pain that focuses your attention and takes your mind off of emotional pain. This can make you feel better - but only for a little while. When the effects of this immediate relief fade, you probably become more aware that self-injury is harmful for you, it does not provide an effective and long-term solution for your negative emotions, and that it would be better and safer to use alternative coping methods. It is probably this realization that makes you feel bad afterwards.
andylistens
It makes you feel better in the moment. Self harm is a short term solution, not a long term solution. You feel guilty afterwards, because you know there are a million other things you could've done rather than hurt yourself.
Anonymous
Because cutting relieves the pain temporarily. You stop thinking about your problems or your pain for a while, but then when the pain goes away you're left with yet another scar / damage, and that makes you feel bad. Because you know you shouldn't have done it, but you did
RainbowAtHeart
You feel guilty afterwards, but at the time you're body releases endorphins to combat the pain, as well as adrenaline, which can be quite pleasant. You feel guilty due to the fact that it's been ingrained in your mind that self harm is bad
xxcassie
For me personally, cutting is a way to release everything that's going on inside of me. It's a way for me to focus on the physical pain rather than the emotional pain, to have pain that I can understand. It's something that I can control when everything else feels so out of control. In a way, cutting makes me feel better. It's something that I know I can always turn too. But after I'm finished, I feel upset with myself. Because although it momentarily made me feel better, it didn't actually address the root of the pain. It's not dealing with it, it's distracting yourself in an attempt to cope with it all. And then suddenly everything just comes flooding back again- and along with all of it you feel weak for giving in. The scars become another thing- another part of yourself- that you have to hide.
klarathealien
Because when cutting you concentrate on another pain. And it realizes adrenaline which can be addictive. It's like a drug: while doing it you feel good, when it's effect stops you feel sad. You also feel bad because you know you shouldn't do it.
Anonymous
It is something that causes you a freeing relief from your pain in the moment but does not solve the problem. It is as if you are adding more scars on top of invisible wounds. It creates a more tangible pain to the pain you feel on the inside. From my personal experience, I feel a lot of shame after I cut. To me it is the only way out and the only thing that will calm me in the moment, but in the days following I resent myself for doing it. I understand the stigma around it and how the people around me feel about it, but more drastically I understand that it is a sign of how I view myself. I am walking around with marks on my body that constantly remind me of the negative self image and pain I feel. It just digs in and causes more issues.
Helloitsadele
Cutting only relieves the pain, temporarily. Keep in mind that you are indeed cutting your flesh with a sharp object, hence doing something your body doesn't want. Human bodies aren't supposed to want pain, more-so reject it.
Anonymous
When I used to cut, it made me feel better because I believed that I deserved the pain then guilty that I would get caught by someone seeing the marks, which has happened, and that they would judge me.
Anonymous
Cutting feels good at first because it helps to engulf your real pain and suffering for a time being. But after sometime you'll get addicted to it and you would want more. I felt bad afterwards because I was in pain and hurting myself as well as bringing myself down while whoever or whatsoever made me into this is growing. I felt scared and weak when I saw my healed scars. It is unhealthy, I realized; so I put on my shoes, and walked to gym. Started working out, and I never stopped. It helps, physical activity really helps you through a depression
Anonymous
It probably feels good at first because you are in control. You are doing what you want without anyone to tell you not to. It's like a power high. But then afterwards you realize what you've done. You realize that what you did made you feel good, but it wasn't what you really wanted deep down. You may want control. You may want happiness, or success. Cutting isn't the answer and you know that. Which is why you feel regret afterwards. Don't continue down this path. Keep your head up and control what you can, just not in the way of self harm. Message someone if you feel the urge to cut again. Talk it out. Please. Be safe. Stay safe.