What do I say to people that ask about my scars without making them uncomfortable?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
Honestly, if they are asking about something personal like that, they shouldn't be uncomfortable with your answer. If they are, they have no business asking
Anonymous
If people ask about your scars it can be hard to explain as a lot of people judge. If you think the person is a genuine, down to earth and you trust them you could just tell them. But if it is someone who isn't so down to earth you could just say you have had a hard time and don't want to talk.
UntilThen
Well I think your answer should vary based on the age of people asking. If a child asks you I often tell them they're from a hard time where bad things happened and it's hard to talk about. They usually don't pry too much after that. If it's teenagers they probably know what they're from and are just wondering how open you are about it. This can be because they are looking to be cruel or because they are going through the same thing and want to know if you'll talk about it, so there you sort of have to make a judgement call on how kind you think this person is. For adults just explain vaguely saying something like "I was going through a hard time". If they ask more questions keep answers short. They will be able to only ask as much as they're comfortable hearing. I hope this helps :)
survivor371
you could tell them that you had issues with yourself in the past and that you have changed. just because you have scars doesnt mean you should be afraid to answer someones question. it was thier choice to ask and you should answer honestly :)
CaringNewt
It depends if you are comfortable with telling them or not, if you think it's private just simply say "It's a bit private, I'd prefer not to tell anyone, I'm sorry". Feeling awkward typically isn't your fault so don't worry about it.
lina713
What is said all depends on whether you feel comfortable telling them or not. Forget if it makes them uncomfortable, focus on yourself, and how it makes you feel. If they're prepared to ask a personal question, they really shouldn't feel uncomfortable with the answer- generally only people close to you ask personal questions such as this.
RememberYouAreNotAlone
Scars are something that people without them will never understand. For this reason it is hard to explain to these people what they mean to us and what they stand for. Personally I answer like this "these scars are something that show how strong of a person I am. They show how hard i've fought to get where I am now; and even though I may not have gotten to the light at the end of the tunnel, these scars are proof that I am trying"
Anonymous
I say that I fell down when I was taking a walk in the forest and the twigs scratched my wrist, or I say that my cat scratched me.
Anonymous
Tell them they are your battle scars and how they convey how strong you are for pushing past your dark times
FizzyLemonade
You could tell them that it's personal and that you'd rather not talk about it, or if you feel that you trust them tell them the truth. You may find that they want to help and support you.
Lovelycats7134
I think you should tell them . " I had a rough past and im still recovering from it," I think that should know something happened before.
Ady23
The important thing is to not make yourself uncomfortable. If telling them how you got the scars would make you uncomfortable then politely say that it is personal and ask to move on. If you feel comfortable talking about it and are ready for a conversation on it, then go ahead and tell them. It is really your decision.
Implode
What I say, is that it was an accident from something, and a realistic answer! Make sure you tell everyone the same thing. If lying is uncomfortable for you, you can just say I had a rough phase, etc. Sometimes being honest with your past is necessary if it's a friend! If it's just some random person, no need to tell them something you don't want to.
SlowHealing
You could tell them that each scar is a mark of the problems you have faced and conquered! :) Be proud of your scars!
Summerwish
Tell them that you were in a car accident or something like that you don’t have to tell them what they are really from
zaatarHoney
Truly, there isn’t any one way to say it. I respond differently depending on who I’m speaking to. I’ve had kids I nanny say “Owwie? You got hurt?” This breaks my heart, but I say “Yes, but I’m okay now. So don’t worry.” Most adults won’t ask. Very few might. If they’re asking, it depends on how close to them I am. Are they someone I work with? Is this a close friend? Is this a potential partner or someone I’m dating already? Then, it comes down to- what are YOU comfortable with? Personally, unless I am in a low space and need to vent, I usually keep it neutral. I speak about it without emotion, and then switch the subject if necessary. But truly, there are definitely approaches for everyone. Trust that, you’ll always say what you’re meant to in each moment- regardless of the reaction. But remember that- your scars don’t make you any less lovely, or worth knowing. You have to feel that in your whole heart because it’s the truth. ♡
Anonymous
I have scars myself so I know how uncomfortable and awkward this situation can be at times. I've had my younger cousins and brothers ask the question, to some friends who don't know a lot about self-harm. What I usually do, depending on the relationship with the person, is to just tell them. I have only told some of my friends when they have asked and not my cousins or brothers as they're too young, or were at the time of asking, to hear things like that. Your scars are nothing to be ashamed of, if someone asks about them and you don't want to talk about it or tell them, just say "it's personal". People tend to leave their questioning from there, if not and they ask something like "why", you can just say you don't want to talk about it. I hope this helps :)
kindWhisper16
You can say what you want, you should not have to change who you are because someone feels uncomfortable, you are you, and they are not you, they dont have your body, and the scars you have left make you well you and they should understand that, I am always here for you x
Anonymous
Answer their question with the understanding that what you are doing to yourself is not normal behavior. They have a right to be curious about it especially if you are displaying it openly. And so long as the query is done in a respectful way, just answer them and maybe enlighten them to your condition. Cutting is difficult for lay people to wrap their arms around and some face cringing is to be expected.
Anonymous
Say to them that you've been through a lot. That in truth that you've suffered from specific things you don't want to say sothey aren't uncomfortable.
Lexithelistener
If it is a family member or friend, you could say you're not comfortable talking about it then change topics or would like to speak to them in private about it. If it is a stranger, tell them you do not feel comfortable in telling them and change topics
LexJPT
If you feel comfortable around them, stay strong in the belief that they'll understand and it'll help you as well
Millichidulinas
If you trust people you can tell them the truth. I mean, you can try to say what happened and then talk about something else or go like "but I don't do it anymore" and stuff.
Anonymous
It depends on who the person is, some people could have gone through the same thing! Or maybe not. It may feel uncomfortable but being honest is the best way to go. After you explain where the scars are from, you can explain how you got help or how you don't do it anymore.
OzymandiasAddams
It's a complex situation for everyone who having already practiced self-harming, cuts ...etc... and an important question. You have two main solutions: tell the truth or lie. But remember if you choose to lie you lie mostly to yourself and there is little chance they will believe you. This inconfortable situation could be a good situation for you. If they saw your scars is that they pay attention to you and they can help you overcome this state. Figting the self-harming is hard, and harder alone, we need friends to overcome all of that and that's perons could be your friends. You could explain the situation, tell the Veritee. It's hard, very hard, and wounding but so helpfull. But sometimes we can't tell the truth but lying is the worst position. In this case the best solution is to say "I 'm not ready to talk about it now . "
Anonymous
you can say whatever you want the way you want. there's no specific way to say something to everyone. people are different. so each one of them need a different talk. the important thing is you feel comfortable when you tell them.
endearingLove14
Tell them they were mistakes you made in a moment of hate or hurt if you made them on yourself. If you were victim of something, tell them they're memories of an experience that helped you make who you are. Deep thoughts, but they work..
FoodForTheSoul
Scars remain to remind you of the strength of will you possess. Without being too discreet, you could inform your askers that you're thankful you carried yourself through your hardship(s).
Alexisheretohelpyou2
Well, you don't have to say anything really, you can tell them you'd prefer not to talk about it. You have overcame an obstacle in your life, and you shouldn't worry about making them uncomfortable. If they question it in the first place, it's their fault that they get uncomfortable. You are a warrior, those are your battle scars; don't worry about what they will think.
Armanta
The main thing is for you to feel comfortable. If you feel as though you would like to tell someone close to you about the scars ,if they've asked, then by all means do it. And with regard to making them comfortable before you talk to them about it it might be worth just telling them it might be sensitive and asking if they are alright with it. The same goes for telling anyone else as well I suppose. Just make sure you are comfortable with telling them, you don't need to tell them about it if you don't feel like doing so, you can politely ask them to drop the subject as you do not feel comfortable. And if you do, just ask them if they are alright with talking about certain topics whatever they may be.