How do I convince my family that I do not self harm?

Ann Brooks, MSW, LICSW

Thank you for your interest! I am a LICSW licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I’m here to listen and I look forward to working with you.

Anonymous
When I stopped selfharming, my mother was still skeptical I showed her that I threw equipment I used
Bunndip
I feel as though you should be open and honest with them about your self harming. They will only want to help you.
DanaMH
That sounds hard and sorry that you are going through that. Have you sat down with them and talked with them? Have you asked them why they think that you do self harm because maybe they are thinking something is self harm when it really isn't? Maybe if you had a family meeting that might help also, come prepared with a list of items that you would like to talk about that way you don't forget anything. A therapist might have some more ideas that can help you or even a family meeting with a therapist to work on goals so they stop thinking that.
imuniqueperson
Well first of all consider why your family would think that you would self harm. Maybe they think you are depressed or know that you are depressed. Or maybe they have found items that suggest you self harm. Take all these factors into consideration. Now you might need to prove to your family you don’t self harm. Trust is a big thing in life and once you lose it, it’s hard to gain in back. If you feel comfortable, maybe you should show your family your body parts to prove it. If you don’t feel comfortable ask your family why they think that you do.