How do I convince my family that I do not self harm?

Lauren Gerardi, PhD

I am a licensed clinical psychologist who works with individuals of all ages, including children, teens, and adults.

Anonymous
When I stopped selfharming, my mother was still skeptical I showed her that I threw equipment I used
Bunndip
I feel as though you should be open and honest with them about your self harming. They will only want to help you.
DanaMH
That sounds hard and sorry that you are going through that. Have you sat down with them and talked with them? Have you asked them why they think that you do self harm because maybe they are thinking something is self harm when it really isn't? Maybe if you had a family meeting that might help also, come prepared with a list of items that you would like to talk about that way you don't forget anything. A therapist might have some more ideas that can help you or even a family meeting with a therapist to work on goals so they stop thinking that.