what do i do if my girlfriend asked me to stop self harming if i can´t stop myself when times are rough?

Brenda Munroe, LCSW

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), I have worked with individuals of all ages. My work with clients is supportive, interactive and nonjudgmental.

Abby040304
Being asked to stop self harming is very hard, especially from your significant other. They want to help you, but sometimes they may not know how to handle it. You can always tell them ways to help so they can prevent you from harming. This can include, distracting activities or dates, talking it out, or going to therapy together. But if you do slip up, which everyone does at points, know its okay once in a while when the pressure is so hard. Its not something to live by, but she too has to understand what you're going through to help you out.
natalieiamhere
The most important thing is you remember that she's just looking out for you and cares about you a lot. She's not telling you to stop because it bothers her, but because she's worried about how it hurts you. She likely understands that you feel like you have to when times are rough, but that doesn't stop her from wanting you to live your healthiest life. If you stop doing it, do it for yourself. Maybe try alternatives in those hard moments, like ripping up an old music or squeezing an ice cube really hard. Talking and communicating with her about it might help you understand each other's perspectives a bit more. Communication is key.