Why do I talk in my sleep?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

Peacefulmeditation
Talking in your sleep is a sign that you are dreaming lucidly. Normally chemicals in your brain will not allow you to act out what your brain is thinking. Sometimes the chemicals don't work and it can cause you to talk or sleep walk. Typically there is nothing to worry about when talking in your sleep. However, it can be a sign of sleep apnea... so it is important to tell your healthcare provider.
Anonymous
I actually tried to record myself while sleeping to see if i talk or not and unfortunately my phone only recorded 1 and a half minutes in which i was still awake. but my mom told me i snore so...does that count as sleep talking? xD
Lovelydaytoday
You may have a lot on your mind and feel like there's things you still need to get done. Or you could be really tired, nothing to worry about though
Cyb
You talk in your sleep because when your brain enters the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) state, which is what you would call dreaming, certain factors such as diet and vitamin intake, as well as things such as alcohol consumption can affect the brain and create quirky effects such as this. Usually when you enter into REM the brain shuts down the signal pathways to limbs and such so when you move in your dream, you don't move in real life and end up kicking the wall, or bedside table or whatever. Sleep talking is when the brain can't fully stop the signals to talk reaching your lungs and whatnot. So you end up speaking.
Anonymous
Things that can cause sleep talking include: - Certain medications - Emotional stress - Fever - Mental health disorder - Substance abuse You might think that sleep talking occurs during dreaming. But scientists still are not sure if such chatter is linked to nighttime reveries. The talking can occur in any stage of sleep. Sleep talking usually occurs by itself and is most often harmless. However, in some cases, it might be a sign of a more serious sleep disorder or health condition. REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) and sleep terrors are two types of sleep disorders that cause some people to shout during sleep. Sleep terrors, also called night terrors, usually involve frightening screams, thrashing, and kicking. It's hard to wake someone having a sleep terror. Children with sleep terrors usually sleep talk and sleepwalk. People with RBD yell, shout, grunt, and act out their dreams, often violently. Sleep talking can also occur with sleepwalking and nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder(NS-RED), a condition in which a person eats while asleep.
stxriesofliving
I talk in my sleep because my brain is too active during the night and I'm too restless and that's why I talk in my sleep.
Anonymous
Unfinished business is sometimes why people talk in their sleep. Sometimes when you are in dream mode, your dreams maybe so vivid that you find yourself talking out loud
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2015 9:40pm
Talking in ur sleep is caused by many things. I found that when u have something troubling u...or something on ur mind u dream about it and express itself that way. Its find it a normal way to express itself :-)
OrangeSlices
Sleep talking usually occurs by itself and is most often harmless. However, in some cases, it might be a sign of a more serious sleep disorder or health condition. I personally would not worry about sleep talking! But, if you are worried, I would suggest that you contact your doctor, just to get rid of any potential serious sleep disorder or health condition.
RideaRainbow
because the mind is still working or overworking and what went on in the day keeps going on in the subconscious while we are sleeping. my nephew was a very passionate football player when he was 7 and in his sleep too he would murmur...GOAL GOAL GOAL !!!
ConallBranagin
Sleep talking, or somniloquy, is the act of speaking during sleep. It's a type of parasomnia -- an abnormal behavior that takes place during sleep. It's a very common occurrence and is not usually considered a medical problem. Sleep talking usually occurs by itself and is most often harmless. However, in some cases, it might be a sign of a more serious sleep disorder or health condition. If you feel it is a health concern, please contact a medical doctor or your therapist.
InstaCyrus143
Talking in your sleep is speaking while asleep without knowing about it. This used to be called somniloquy. Sleep talking is a type of parasomnia - an abnormal behaviour that takes place during sleep. Sleep talking seems to affect men and children more than it does women.
endearing
Sometimes the brain can't work with all that information , and you start to talk about it in your sleep.
freshSmiles08
Sleep is that sub conscious state where our mind relaxes to a greater extent daily... In this process a normal human mind reviews all the events happening to it since a long time i.e the congnitiive abilities like thinking analysing judging etc happen ... In this phenomenon people try to talk as if in a normal conscious state
FoxysChickenSoup
August 23rd, 2015 5:19am
Talking in your sleep could be caused by any number of things. Stress, anxiety, depression, or simply an active mind could lead you to talking in your sleep! It's completely natural. and it's not a problem at all!
Aavelyn
August 23rd, 2015 5:31am
Your sleeping body isn't able to separate the different between talking in a dream and talking out loud.
Anonymous
When I'm obsessively thinking about a certain issue or situation during the day, I find that it can carry into my sleep if I am still thinking about that topic.
IzzieBelle
Sleep talking, or "somniloquy" is a form of parasomnia. 50% of children aged 3 to 10 carry on conversations while asleep, and about 5% of adults too. Sleep talking can occur completely by itself and be totally harmless, but it can be caused by sleep related disorders, emotional stress, certain medications, fevers, and substance abuse. Some studies also show that what you drink during the day (cola, tea, etc.) could be linked to how much a person sleep talks, and also the amount of exercise and sleep you get each day and night. If your sleep talking occurs suddenly as an adult or if it involves intense fear, screaming, or violence, then you may like to consider seeking professional advice. If it is disturbing your sleep, or someone else in your home's sleep, then seeing a doctor might be a good idea.
Anonymous
sometimes when you're dreaming you speak a lot, and those vocal dreams transfer to physical speaking
Gordude09
Anonymous
beause mind is more active..meditataion is only solution for it to make mind rest...............................
Anonymous
I talk in my sleep because I'm dreaming about things going on in my life that I'm still thinking about after going to bed. I normally argue with myself, which shows I could be angry with myself at that moment in time.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2015 3:58am
There's no particular scientific reason for it. Many children do, and some people carry it into adulthood. There's nothing typically wrong when a person speaks in their sleep. The only time there is cause for concern in people with sleep talking is when they have night terrors or any kind of abnormal night disturbances. Some people may experience sleep talking from stress or other types of mental discrepancies.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2015 11:23am
Talking in your sleep is perfectly natural. it could be caused by many things, including Certain medications, Emotional stress, Fever, disorders, or Substance abuse, but as long as they aren't doing you or others harm like night terrors, you are perfectly ok.
Chalki
What I've noticed about sleep talkers, is that it's either something they've always done, or a habit they've developed over time due to stress. I recommend decompressing, trying out a 5-minute meditation everyday, or falling asleep to rainymood/ASMR videos.
lachat
I talk in my sleep because I now tend to take the burden of day-to-day worriest and memories of the past to bed with me. Talking in sleep is a sign of stress.
admirableParadise40
Sleep talking, or somniloquy, is the act of speaking during sleep. It's a type of parasomnia - an abnormal behaviour that takes place during sleep. It's a very common occurrence and is not usually considered a medical problem. Many people talk in their sleep. Half of all children between the ages of three and 10-years-old carry on conversations while asleep, and a small number of adults - about 5% - keep chattering away after they go to bed. The utterances can take place occasionally or every night. Experts think that sleep talking may run in families.
Anonymous
Its normal to talk in your sleep i talk in my sleep sometimes i say bad words like when i dream my self fighting or sometime i scream its okey believe me
DreamTwerks
i call for my girlfriend, just start to cry with no reason, i just start to send kiss to my pillow (why? i don't know) but is what i do.
shoshho
there could be a bunch of reasons like nightmare , dreams , or a lack of a substance produced by the body that prevents us from performing what occurs in our dreams , there are many more reasons but I believe its normal