Why do I procrastinate so much?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou
- Expert in Student Life
Hey, to start with,I'd like to say, you're definately not alone, time and again, almost everyone experiences procrastination, the key is ,some people find the solutions to curb the same, while others continue to struggle for a little longer ,rest assured, Procrastination is not all wrong and everyone experiences it in varying intensities .To know how to stop procrastinating, it's important to know what makes you procrastinate, some common reasons are, Lack of motivation to complete the task, the task itself being an obstacle to continue, stressful environment, feeling like you'll eventually finish it before the deadline so why start early , not in the right headspace to do anything, feeling unproductive and lethargic etc . If one finds out the reason of procrastination, they can then try to work effectively to reduce or stop it. However it's also important to remember that it's so very okay if sometimes you feel unproductive and lack the drive to do something, Take one day at a time, small breaks are needed to rejuvenate and start again...You got this! 💙🌻
magicMood
More often than not, my procrastination is tied with the emotions of failure or difficulty associated with the task. I may not try starting the project because it did/does not bring me joy, and might end up waiting till the last minute panic kicks in. Had the task been challenging for my skill set, I probably would have done it to the perfection I aim towards. So the challenging and engaging a task for one, the sooner one awaits for their chance to try their hands. Even if you do not like something, you can always tone it up/down depending on your moods. So get started always, and you might find a way!
RebekahRoyal
Procrastination is such a common thing that a lot of people don't realise that they're doing it. Sometimes, we procrastinate because we feel as though we may fail at something today, but could do better at it tomorrow, and then that cycle continues on until maybe the day before the deadline of the project. When we procrastinate, we actively put something off; this could be due to the cycle named above, or because we feel like we we're unable to do something. There are many different reasons as to why we procrastinate. Do you procrastinate often? If so, you may find it easier to do this than to actually do the project that needs doing, or maybe it's something that you're used to in which case it could be slighter harder to stop procrastinating.
WonderfulMoment
I don't believe there is such a thing as laziness. I think there's something else standing in your way. Are you feeling shame or self-judgement for doing or not doing something? Are you lacking enthusiasm for the task? Are you low on energy? It's important not to beat yourself up over it too much if you weren't feeling up to completing some task. Is there some smaller obstacle you could overcome before going for your main task? Are you able to break down the task you need to do into tiny chunks and work on it slowly but surely that way?