How do I stop thinking about what others think of me?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

PaperGhostie
My experience with the worry of what others think of me has always lead to the focus of what I actually think of myself. I have always a hard opinion of myself and once I was around the right people, I began to realize that the population at large actually doesn't care. We are all focusing on ourselves for the most part. So, I try to like me and act as I would to keep liking me.
Dako10
A great quote related to your question is 'People would care a lot less about what others thought, if they knew how seldom they did.' Usually people overthink these situations and believe that people think negatively towards them, when in reality, they might not think about them at all.
Anonymous
That's a hard one because I got a self-esteem issue yet try to be positive about you and brush of what others say because they don't know u as u do your self
IreneGrey
It's hard to realize, but people will always do whatever they want and whatever is in their best interest. Most of them don't even care how their actions reflect on others. A friend of mine told me once 'Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'. You should care only what the most important people in your life think about you, and what YOU think about yourself, don't give a second thought about a bunch of strangers.
Uniqueg
"If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think." T. Harv Eker....things won't change overnight but you have to change your mindset, and accept and love yourself flaws and all because we all have them :)
Maya16
Understand that what you think of yourself matters the most. When you think well of yourself, you feel better and as a consequence may also result in others thinking well of you.
charmingLove14
Sometimes it helps to remind yourself that it doesn't matter what others think of you. Only you should care about what you think of yourself.
benevolentCloud14
Maybe stop caring about what others think is a step in the Right direction. Also you should be comfortable with yourself and appreciate all your qualities. Then others opinions seem less worthy.
jaspercrystal
Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters. No one knows you better then yourself. Remember that.
SaraMichelle
You find what makes you happy. I mean extremely happy. Once you find this, whether it be a certain style of clothing, a certain genera of music, or a certain religion, it doesn't matter what others think because that is what makes you happy and you come first before what anyone thinks.
wisepanda
Accept yourself. Boost your self-confidence. Always think of ways to better yourself so you can hold up your head up high.
Anonymous
Focus on yourself at the end of the day all that matter is how you feel within yourself if you are being your best you then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because you truely can become happy within your self and own body.. relax take some breaths everything will be fine, try meditation I love the app Calm it helps me to be mindful and stay grounded.. if I can get out of the darkest of days anyone can do not give up on yourself as you are you and you're awesome that's all that matters in the end