What to say when quitting a job you just started?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

OpenAndHonest - Expert in Work Stress
I worked a job for two weeks and quit. I found something better that not only paid better but made me happy, and in the long run, happiness is the key to success.
Aprtylittlemess - Expert in Work Stress
Ive never been in this situation but I have played out the scenario in my head - I would just go into my boss/HR and be like 'now that I have been on the job for a few days I realize this isnt going to be a good fit for me and I do not want to waste any of your time training me further so I think its best if I resign'
MalecLightbane - Expert in Work Stress
Working is a very adult thing to do, especially if it's only your first or second job. What to remember is to never be afraid to say you've tried something once and it didn't work out. There's no shame in quitting until you find a job you like. Quit 100 times if it means the 101st job will be the one you love!
If u think that the job that you have does not fit you and you are not happy leave. Its your future and u make the choices.
KristenHR
I might say something like, Thank you for the opportunity you have given me, but I am unable to continue. It isn't a good fit, or I was offered another position that is closer to my skill set, etc. My last day will be.... There isn't necessarily a reason that has to be given for leaving a new job, but it can be helpful in some cases in my experience. Sometimes I haven't shared anything about why I'm leaving, because I left for ethical reasons and I need the referral even though it wasn't a good situation.
Sky06
Every person deserve to do what they love. If you don't like the job, it's okay to quit if you realize it didn't fit. Do what you love. Allow yourself to be able to wake up every morning and be happy to go to work.
glassmarble
I think it often helps to just be honest. I'm sure you have good reasons to quit the job you just started - so why don't just tell your boss? And of course staying polite and friendly is always a good thing to do. Even if it doesn't go well - you'll probably never see them again, so don't put too much pressure on yourself :)
AFriendlyEnderman
September 2nd, 2016 2:20am
When quitting a job that you just started, for whatever the reason, it is always best to leave with the best impression possible. Simply say "I don't feel like this is the right fit for me, therefore, I am going to seek other opportunities". This way, you're not just up and leaving a job.
Anonymous
I am writing to resign from my current position (insert job title) from (insert place of work) my resignation will be effective 2 weeks from today. My last day will be (insert date). I would like to thank you for your opportunity although my time with your company was short it was that of a great experience. Sincerely, (insert name and date)
RebelArtSoul
I have done this before, and it is hard to navigate those fears of feeling wrong or bad. The best reason to give, i have found, is something along the lines of, “Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity. Unfortunately, i am realizing that this job isn’t really a good match for me, so i am needing to resign and move on to something that better suits my skills and inclinations. How can i help make this transition smoother for you?” Sometimes, you won’t receive a positive response, even with your best intentions invested, though. When that happens, it’s important to remember that knowing yourself, and this act of self-care, is one of the most wonderful and noble things you can do in life. Hold on to that, even when faced with negative feedback and reaction. You can trust your own judgement, always. There’s a reason you are feeling something is ‘off’ even if it is a fairly new situation. You can do it!
insightfulCreature77
I would thank them very much for hiring me, but say that the job just isn't the right fit for me at this time. Don't feel pressured to elaborate - be respectful and calm. When the goodbyes are done, look forward to your next step!
allnaturalUnicorns70
Thank them for the opportunity, apologize for the inconvenience of your leaving shortly after starting, and tell them the position just "wasn't the right fit". It's vague enough not to mean anything, but protects you from saying something negative. And never burn bridges, always leave with a smile and them wishing you'd stayed.
Easylistener
If you want to quit a job you just started, something to say that would be positive would be: 'I am very grateful for this opportunity, but after some thought I've realised that my skills would be best utilized elsewhere. I don't think I am the best fit for this position, and would like to bow out so someone else who would be best for this company could take this position. I'm sorry to leave so soon, but I am sure that I've made the best decision. Thank you so much for the opportunity. It's ok to change your mind if you feel it's not working for you.
MarcoV
I've been lucky to find out this is not the right job for me and I'm brave enough to admit it : ) It's worse if someone find out doesn't like the job after twenty years!
FlowersAreFUN
I am greateful for having given the opportunity to join this team. But it's time for me to move onto the next stage in my life. Some stages are shorter than others. I don't make the rules. I wish you and my fellow co-workers well.... But I will be back Friday to pick up my check if you don't mind.
HereToHelpYou742
Be honest say something like," i know i just started working here but i dont think im what you are looking for. I would tplan on leaving in x days or weeks. Thank you for giving me the job and im sorry i cant keep it
Mishwish1
Have a logical think about why you want to quit. Write down a list of pro's and con's to the job you have just started as you might like it more then you realised. Ensure you gave this job a fair go and tried your best. You would prefer to know you tried rather than giving up too early.
Anonymous
I think that you just say the truth. Tell your boss the reason why you're leaving your job. He might be disappointed, but if you truly want to quit your job, don't let him talk you out of it. Anyway, good luck to you and I hope that you find a better place to work at :)
promisesR4ever
I would like you for giving me the opportunity to work here. It's such a great team I have been working for. However, I have decided to go another direction to advance my career. This is my (at least 2 week notice). I thought this was what I wanted and again, thank you for giving me this opportunity. Something along those lines :)
Anonymous
The Truth. Explain why you're leaving and you should get a lot of respect for telling them why you're leaving and not just walking out. Remember that it happens to a lot of people.. they find a job just is not for them and want to leave. Your probationary period is not just for the employer, it's for you as well.
samanthajesp1
Thank you for the opportunity but this is not working out for me and I am pursuing other options. Give proper notice.
PandaPots23
It depends on the reasons you are quitting, but simply letting your employer know that you may not be the right fit for the job. Quitting can be a daunting task especially if you just started, but it happens all the time. It won't have any negative affect on you in the long run, and you can focus on finding something that suits you better.
loveistheanswer11
Being honest and authentic is the key to our world being the best it can be. There is no shame or guilt, no wrong or right in realizing a job is not for you, or that circumstances have changed. Whatever the case is sharing earnestly, and quickly will serve everyone in your departing with out unneeded stress and encumbrances.
lovelyRose13
When quitting a job that you just started, you should apologize for the change of circumstance or any inconvenience, thank them for giving you the opportunity to work with them and let them know that you would hope to be able to work with them in the future.
Anonymous
This job is just not working out for me. I don't feel like I would fit in with this company it is better if I leve now than be unhappy everyday
StrengthThruJesus
Sometimes we have to go through difficult situations to grow as a person and learn new things. It's never easy in the present, but when you look back at everything you overcome you'll feel stronger. Opportunities will come and go, learning to adapt and roll with the punches will be easier than focusing on it as a failure.
br3athing
"Thank you tremendously for the experience I've gained here. It has helped me to progress to my next step."
Anonymous
Make sure that you thank them for the opportunity. Try to briefly explain why it didn't work out (e.g. I am going through some personal dilemmas. I thought getting a job would help me but I believe I need more time. ). After that, apologize for it not working out.
Anonymous
It depends on what your reasons for quitting are. But be honest with your boss. If it's too overwhelming or seems like it is not the correct fit, just tell him or her that. Something along the lines of "I would love to stick with this job, but it is a bit too overwhelming and stressful for me. I don't think it is the right fit." You have the option of asking to be trained in a different area if possible, too
kindSoul10
it depends on your motivations for quitting. but an honest and polite talk could be the way to go. for example: "I have thought about the time I'm working here. I liked (what you liked). but I have come to the conclusion that (your reason for quitting). (optional friendly positive sentences): I enjoyed the time and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to work here.